UFC President Dana White Reacts To The Rampage Situation

dana-white-ultimate-fighter

UFC President Dana White reacts on the Carmichael Dave show (Sports 1140) about the Rampage “I’m done fighting”.

“Because I got so pissed off at him pulling out of the fight with Rashad, I’m speaking my mind – he thinks I’m trying to ruin his movie career. It’s crazy. Listen, I have nothing bad to say about Rampage, he’s a grown man. If he decides he wants to walk away from guaranteed good money right now, he’s a grown man, he can do whatever he wants to do. What did I do to Rampage? I talked to him as a friend and tried to talk him out of making a bad decision. He doesn’t think it is, he thinks he’s gonna have a movie career but there’s so many fighters I’ve met over the years who thought they were gonna have movie careers. It’s not like he was going after Machida because he wanted the belt – he didn’t want the belt! He said the belt causes too many problems and he just wanted to fight and make money and feed his family – that’s exactly what he told me. All he’s been telling me since he got into the UFC is that he wants to fight in Memphis in front of his hometown. We make the fight in Memphis and then he pulls out of the fight because he wants to go make this movie because it has so much sentimental value to him. He’s a fighter, that’s what he does for a living. Now I’m going through all this crap where I got another fighter saying ‘You know what, this isn’t what I wanna do for the rest of my life, I wanna make movies, I wanna be a movie star, this is just a second career for me.’ Like I haven’t seen this one before. Rampage is a grown man. He’s acting like a baby right now but he’s a grown man. He wants to be in the movie business? Rampage, good luck to you man. I hope you make it big – and I’m not being sarcastic because Rampage Jackson is a guy that I do like. But Rampage Jackson is a guy that doesn’t always make the best decisions.”

A unexpectedly calm Dana White reacts for the first time to the news that Quinton Rampage Jackson has quit fighting. White makes it known that this kind of drama happens every day.

Fighters gain public notoriety in the UFC, get some second rate “Strait to DVD” movie role, all this while their movie agent is whispering in their ear, telling them they could be the next Arnold Schwarzenegger. Rampage is perfect for the A-TEAM role, but letting it ride on the success of one movie is a bad decision.

Props: MMAMainia

Comments

1. seems like Rampage hit the nail on the head, Dana being calm?! something is fishy there.

2. heres a great article on dana's behavior it is a good read and spot on. i am not defending rampage and i don't agree with how he is doing things either but this one is right about dana.scorll down a but to read it.

3. how can you NOT defend Rampage from an arse like Dana..

Dana slags Rampage off, afterwards takes it back when he knows he ain't gonna get his own way then says Rampage is out till whatever date.

i know for a fact if my boss came out and said shit about me when i had another job i'd tell him to stick the job where the sun doesn't shine.

Dana is one sided. all for himself.

4. Oswald Gobblecock says:

How CAN you defend Rampage after telling fans to "kiss his ass"? lol We know Dana's no saint but I agree with him here. Rampage was crying about this and that with everything in between and now he thinks he's gonna be a movie star. He's diluted!

5. i am not that big of a rampage fan for alot of reasons other than this. i don't agree with a few things on how he handled this but thats not the point. did you read the article? i do think it was spot on for dana's bad behavior.

6. rampage definately makes some dumb ass decisions. and u can see how retarded he is on the show and how shitty of a coach he is. the reason dana is so calm here is because he's been dealing with this for a few days now and he's basically over it. u cant be on a rage about things forever.

7. he was referring to fans that jump the bandwagon.

8. shogun of Harlem says:

great article roy for those that wont go to the site here it is for all to read

I still hold out hope for reconciliation. Despite what appears to be an intractable situation, a deal between Rampage and the UFC makes sense now and likely for quite some time.

Candidly, though, there is an aspect to this story that is simply impossible for me to square: fan reaction to White's initially derogatory statements about Rampage that precipitated this mess. I'm with Rome: my personal view is that both White and Rampage have blame to shoulder here. However, the idea being trafficked on message boards and in the comments on various blogs that this is somehow more White's fault than anyone else's is downright baffling. Now fans think White's mouth is problematic? 2006 called. You're late.

I scarcely know where to begin. While it is beyond impossible to question the competency of White & Co. as the leaders of the sport of MMA, the idea that this time White's callous, insulting statements are problematic cuts out key portions of recent history that cannot be swept aside. It's not merely the coarse nature of his language; it's that he's consistently belittled or diminished rivals, competitors, employees and now friends. And in the name of what? Candor? What a mighty altar.

The core problem of White's honesty is that it's amateurish, unproductive and as we now see, ultimately sets his own lawn on fire. it's easy to cheer White's frothing at the mouth when he insults Jared Shaw. Everyone gets a laugh when he bashed Tom Atencio or Jay Larkin. But now the UFC is dealing with different players; players with more money and clout than he, and in many cases players who neither need him nor his product. He is not now nor will he ever be made of teflon. What you do and say in this world matters and lo and behold, it turns out people do not enjoy being publicly humiliated. Fedor, anyone? Surely his statements about Emelianenko did not sink the negotiations, but to suggest his breathtakingly boorish assertions caused no blow black is flat wrong.

White has stated he doesn't do business like the NBA's David Stern or the NFL's Roger Goddell because he isn't them. That's partly true and the pressure on White as the operator of fight sport will always be far less than what the major traditional sports' heads face. But the reality is that a corporate executive working within deeper, tighter concentric circles of the mainstream is not immune to push back. As fighters get more opportunities outside of fighting, they will have the option to leave fighting. As the UFC and MMA begins to place itself alongside established, highly capitalized players, their leverage over the universe begins to wane. It's easy to be a big fish in a small pond, but as the cliche goes, swimming with sharks in entirely different. And there is no free lunch.

Stern and Goddell do not bite their tongues or carefully craft statements because they are weak or timid; they do so because it works. They have to. It's absolute insanity to think that Dana White of the Ultimate Fighting Championship is going to either re-write the rules of human discourse or be exempt from their application. As the sport gets bigger, the stakes get raised. And when the stakes get raised, it turns out being attentive to what you say and how you say it is downright imperative. It's not weakness, it's smart strategy.

Those who cheer White's "candor" because they find a "yo mama" act thrilling from a corporate executive have positively no right to criticize White here. I say to you: reap what you sow. There are many within the community who have suggested both that they personally enjoy White's "honesty" and find his act to be above reproach. Rampage walking because his employer and friend in White cannot bother to keep his personal comments private is the natural conclusion to the enabling that many fans have provided White. To those who have carried this torch for him, I hope your bed is comfortable. You made it.

9. And this is why fedor dident come Somtimes people love to talk shit and yes so does mister wite .

Dana just shut youre big yap -randy-tito-kimbo -fedor -and so many in between now rampage yu love talking shit just a bit to much and than yu think people wil stil bend over for yu FUCK NO ofc not some wil but not al uf them.

10. English Major says:

Can whoever writes for this site please go back to school and take some English lessons? Really…you're looking unprofessional. Last week's "Sudo" instead of "pseudo" and now "strait" instead of "straight" and "some get second rate movie role" it's either "some get a" or "movie roles" take your pick……come on now, Cage Today, at LEAST use spell-check to fix the no-brainers.

11. Attention Span says:

Shogun…your post is so long, you don't expect anyone to actually read all that, do you?

12. Shogun of Harlem says:

attention span i am sorry you must have a hard time reading long responses. You must be a product of public school. Or did you have a hard time reading it because the words in the article were spelled correctly.

i am sorry i cannot spell in ebonics.

13. i Agree with Dana..

14. Clint Eastwood says:

Dana is a loser. A douche, doesnt care about his fighters at ALL. Cant wait to see the UFC collapse!

15. I happen to like Dana White. He has brought me the best MMA events of any company. He brings all the dream matches that the people want. Also he keeps it untainted unlike boxing. A lot of people say on here…oh he takes advantage of fighters. Who cares. I dont give a shit how much Rampage is making or if Anderson Silva didn't get paid as much as he wanted. I could care less. At the end of the day their still making more in a match than people make in a year. Take advantage of them who cares as long as they fight and entertain people. Can't feel to bad for fighters like Rampage. So what the UFC took advantage of him. He forgot to mention that he made $350,000 dollars for one fight. Must be rough.

16. Aldo while i agree "who cares what the fighters make"

i tend to care when Dana makes more than pretty much all of them all year round.

17. @ shogun

You're from Harlem, but you don't speak ebonics? Weird.

I'm just gonna say I'll be sad to see Rampage go. Not my favorite fighter, but still a great contender in 205. Now we don't even get to see the Rashad fight. It's a sad day for the ufc.

18. Oswald Gobblecock says:

"Cant wait to see the UFC collapse!"

It won't and anyone who come to this site and says that is retarded cause Dana and the UFC are the reasons why MMA is what it is.

19. Shogun: People aren't going to hang on to your every word no matter how interesting you think you are.

Public school has nothing to with how verbose your post is.

20. Tired of Crybabies says:

If your boss had a big project planed for you at work, and you told him you couldn't come to work until next year sometime; HE HAS THE RIGHT TO BE PISSED AT YOU. Dana planned this whole TUF show around Rampage and Rashad fighting. There's bad blood there and it's two counterpunchers going at it. That makes a great fight for fans. I don't want to watch the damn A-TEAM, I want to see them fight. And now I can't because Rampage has other plans. When he got to the UFC , Dana got him a title shot quick; when he went coo coo and started running pregnant ladies off the road and hitting pedestrians, Dana flew there immediately with doctors and lawyers to help him. Yet Dana put him right back in the ring to fight Wanderlei and avenge his losses ( when other guys were getting fired for doing way less crazy shit) . It seems to me Dana hasn't ever treated Rampage wrong. But this crap Rampage is pulling( backing out of fights, that have been planned) is totally wrong to the organization that has had your back. SHUT UP AND FIGHT OR GO AWAY!

Sincerely, Ex Rampage Fan

21. Attention Span says:

Miko speaks the truth.

22. Oswald you can't say that.

Pride was more popular than UFC before it was bought out, for all we know, Dana has slowed the sport down.

23. King Kong…..If Pride was still around then we wouldn't have most of these dream matches that we have now. Both organizations had great fighters but there were a lot "what ifs" between fighters. Such as Chuck and Wanderlei. Now that UFC has 99% of the best fighters out there we can see those type of matches. So in my opinion Dana made this sport grow to what it is now.

24. Aldo, Chuck WENT to Pride and got raped by Jackson so why ask a question about Chuck versus Wandy.

if UFC didn't buy Pride right now, Pride would be the only place for fighters. (UFC was losing money like a sieve loses liquid)

25. Sorry, guys, but no one in the general public knew what the hell Pride was…but they knew UFC. Also, if you ask the dude off the street, "Do you like MMA?" Unless they are a fan, they won't know what you're talking about…however if you then say "You know…UFC" then they're like "oooohhhh yeah. I've seen that stuff."

Since Zuffa is a private company, none of you have access to their books, so you wouldn't have any proof of them losing money. And if they WERE losing money then how would they be able to buy a "more popular" league? Doesn't add up. Wouldn't Pride then buy out the UFC to "save" the UFC from collapse if what you claim were true?

26. dane drebin says:

i agree in the USA pride has never been more popular than the UFC

27. If you didn't think there was awesome matches between UFC fighters and Pride fighters your a dumbass. Everyone wanted to see matches like Chuck vs Wanderlei and it finally happened once UFC got pride. Fight was amazing. Explain to me why Pride would be better than the UFC is now if it were still around. Also explain to me why Dana has slowed this sport down. I honestly dont understand how you come to these conclusions.

28. look, i'm willing to bet most of you have followed UFC since the day it was released, its AMERICAN

Pride was more popular and making more money than UFC at the time!

Pride was run by the Japanese Mafia, UFC offered them what they believed to be FREE money (Pride went down and Dream started up)

of course your more likely to have heard of UFC lol…. thats like me asking you if you know who Manchester united are, I'm willing to bet a fair few of you will go….

WHO THE HELL ARE THEY?!

29. of course people wanted to see some fights….. they STILL do.

Fedor vs Lesnar

Gegard vs Silva

ETC

30. haha That just contradicted everything you just said

31. how exactly did i do that?

32. Pride is more popular but we are more likely to have heard of the UFC.

Dana is slowing down the sport.

Why ask the question of chuck vs wanderlei. Then you said people wanted to see pride vs UFC matches

33. dane drebin says:

bottom line is prides gone they rn out of money and had to sell ufc won

34. Pride ran out of money?! lol…. yeah thats why they set up dream right afterward right? to make a failing business back again? no.

Aldo….. IN AMERICA UFC WAS MORE POPULAR THAN PRIDE

AMERICA IS A SMALL PLACE

Chuck vs Wandy WAS pointless. Chuck is past his Prime and in my opinion lost that fight.

quote where i said no one wanted to see ANY of the UFC vs Pride fights?

nowhere.

35. lol @ King Kong…dude…please…stop…you're beginning to embarrass yourself.

36. asdf;lkj – agreed………apparenty Dana White is holding MMA back too. who'd a thunk it.

37. hmm i mean honestly if no one here thinks that an arsehole being the head of the company doesn't hold UFC back is FUCKING DUMB.

guy too embarrassed to get a name. get a fucking name.

38. Wanderlei Silva says:

What pointless me fight? No. I fight Chuck very well. Dana is the boss. My life is in his hand. I fight for him. I like to fight who Dana tell to fight. I even fight King Kong. Come to Wand Fight and I fight you.

39. asdf;lkj - aka - Fuc says:

lol @ kong. maybe i should pick a fake name of a big monkey, since you think you've mastered the names so well. you pick your names like you pick you logic…pointless.

Let me enlighten you, my ape friend, whether Dana is or isn't an "arsehole" (funny how you'll censor yourself there, but then put in big caps "FUCKING"…lol) has no outcome whatsoever on the success of the company. It's supply and demand, and PR, and sales. As long as the UFC continues to do a great job with their advertising, tie-ins, promotions, ticket sales, and everything else…then it doesn't matter if Dana is a jerk or not. Obviously doesn't matter because they keep growing and growing, even when all these other leagues keep falling apart and running out of money.

Dana is a smart businessman, no matter what you think, Mr. Big Ape. When YOU take a company that's nearly bankrupt and turn it into what the UFC is today, then we'll listen to what you have to say. Until that time, you're just a hater (for whatever reason, doesn't make sense) and it's yourself you have to look into the mirror at every day and be forever trapped in the sad reality that you have to be YOU every single day of your life.

Gee…I feel so much more fortunate now!

40. asdf;lkj – aka – Fucking Name, I think thats how you say asshole in England. But not for sure.

Dana is good for MMA. He has all the best fighters in the world but a couple. UFC keeps growing every year in PPV sells and merchandise, and are going to a ton of different venues around the world. Because there are millions of fans from all across the globe that want to see the UFC in person and live.

41. Arsehole….. is in no way shape or form censoring, its an Englishism (new word there is think… as opposed to Americanism which is what Asshole would be to me.

i often ask myself what would i rather be, a rich arsehole or a poor well mannered controlled guy.

take your pick which i choose?

I'm sorry but your wrong, nice people are liked.

if Dana was a good guy and a good businessman where do you honestly think the sport would be? better or worse?

Dana has good people working for him. he has told them what he expects and they give it to him, but could he make more money for the sport? yes, could he pay the fighters better? yes.

he is a good businessman. i'll never dispute that, its not hard to see. he is just as i've said an arsehole.

sure its a big ape of a name but as i say its a name and not random letters in a random order.

42. So what if Dana is an asshole. How does this really effect your life again. I just dont understand why people care. If your in the UFC and you are good enough to be a regular main-eventer then your going to get anywhere from $100,000 – $350,000 dollars for a fight. God forbid they cant live on that.

43. 100,000 ain't shit.

that is nothing.

fighters make around the stadium/arena crowd income (in total)

UFC make pretty much ALL the ppv money.

PPV money is where its at.

Dana being an Arsehole effects me when i can't see the fights i want to see.

Fedor vs Lesnar.

Fedor vs Randy.

Rampage vs Silva.

Rampage vs Rashad.

Rampage vs Lyoto

Randy's year gap…. due to Dana being an Arsehole.

so yeah it effects me, and i hate Arseholes!

44. asdf;lkj - aka - Fuc says:

there's no use screaming at a wall. just let him be. he's english anyways, what the hell does he know? hahaha. if it wasn't for the united states, they'd be speaking german right now. hahaha.

45. I don't think people realize that they get paid a certain amount for a fight. That is what is posted along with certain bonuses such as KO of the night ect. What isn't talked about and you can look this up is that they also get money from the PPV. So anyone that says that they dont get any money from the PPV is wrong. Take Randy Couture….when he fought Tim Sylvia he got $250,000 dollars for the fight. Also he got $936,000 dollars from PPV revenue. Well over a million dollars. He also got over a million dollars when he fought Gonzaga. What he was pissed about was that people like Chuck Liddell who were on a losing streak were getting paid just as much if not more than what he was. However Chuck is a big ppv draw for them. I think a million dollars a fight is more than enough money. Now if you take Rampage and look how much he made in his last 3 fights. He made $875,000 dollars. This isn't including PPV revenues. I dont the number on how much he made for the PPV revenue. I'm sure if you add it up though he made well over 2 million dollars for his last three fights. Also this doesn't include all the merchandise he sells and the sponsers that he gets.

Fedor on the other hand could have named his price. I'm not going to get the Fedor argument going again because that is a never ending debate but I think everyone can agree that the money was there if Fedor wanted to join the UFC. It was other issues that it didn't happen.

Dont get me wrong I'm not happy to see Rampage leave but common the guy is making around $750,000 dollars a fight. I'd fight Lesnar for that amount of money. I'd be scared shitless but for $750,000 dollars I'd let him knock my head off. All this stuff you can looks up. Fact is if you are a main eventer then you get paid for the fight, get paid ppv revenue which is normally more than the fight, and you get sponsor money to go toward travel, stuff for the gym, ect.

46. no name….

LOL you think so fucking much about your country.

trace back your ancestors then come back.

oh and look up the WW2 facts before you comment on it, you were FORCED to go to war it was not of your choice and you still think that you won it. (took you 3 years to win it.)

yea i'm aware of the PPV cut but its like 2% and considering that they could die or be disabled for life in the cage its hardly a fair trade. (compared to what Dana gets). who takes up 10% every year (plus a salary too i guess)

47. Actually, the US did save England and all of Europe from the Nazi's. That's pretty historically factual.

48. no its not.

its an opinion.

how can you make a fact about something that didn't happen?

Fact can only be based on something that happens.

its like me saying, its a fact that Rampage beat Rashad.

49. oh and FYI USSR won the war….

100 million soldiers is just too damn much to beat.

50. Dana's salary has never been released so you can't say that. He owns 10% of the company but that doesn't mean he is taking in 10%. There is a lot of advertising, people need to be hired, security, ect. There are a lot of things that go into a ppv so i think your information in in accurate. Also I would sure as hell hope that Dana makes more than the fighters. If you take MLB, NBA, NHL, or even NFL the presidents make a hell of a lot more than the league average.