UFC Pres Dana White Wants Him Some Jake Shields

Dana White is not one to keep his mouth shut about future UFC prospects, that includes Strikeforce’s middleweight champion Jake Shields.

Jake Shields is definitely going to leave Strikeforce, and he’s definitely coming to the UFC. First of all, they put all of their eggs in the Dan Henderson basket. They went out and acquired him and thought he was worth a lot more money than we were willing to pay him. They went out and paid him more money than they can afford to. They never respected Jake Shields, who is their champion. They didn’t even have him in their commercials for the fight. Then the fight happens and Jake Shields wins. They were like, ‘Oh my God. He won. What do we do?’ I think they sent (Miller) in there to challenge him, so that if Jake leaves, it looks like he doesn’t want to fight Miller. That‘s not the way you do it. You let the winner speak, then you ask him at the end about whether he‘s willing to fight Miller. But that’s them. They’re a Podunk, unknown, small-time organization. There shouldn‘t have been that many guys in the cage in the first place!” [Source]

Jake Shields who has expressed a lot of interest in fighting the best in the UFC, will have his chance to jump ship now that his Strikeforce contract is up for renewal. All this talk can only be a good thing for Shields who now has two promotions vying for his loyalty.

Comments

1. Poppynick says:

Dana is such a hypocrite. He act like he has never sent someone in the ring after a fight. Let me refresh your memory Dana……Rashaad Evans in the ring after the Jardine/Jackson fight. Rashad even publicly stated he was sent in there.

2. CobraClutch says:

Poppy, relax…don't be so angry…Dana didn't say he never brought anyone in the ring…he's not being hypocritical.

Dana only said that you don't have "that many" people in the cage, and that you "let the winner speak first, then ask him at the end whether he's willing to fight…" That's when you bring up the challenger, like they did with Rashad…and recently with Brock after the Carwin/Mir fight.

Dana's right…even though he has an agenda to make Strikeforce look like an amateur, rinky-dink organization (which it's not)…this would have never happened in the UFC.

3. I'm sorry but I still don't think Shields is very good. I don't know why Dana is bringing him in; I just don't see him doing well against any of the top welterweights in the UFC.

4. you have to remember he just beat a really big dan hendersen at 185, so if he drops 15 down to a more natural 170 i would say he can hang with alot of them. everyones big gripe on shields is he cant finish fights, well put him in with fitch so fitch can fight someone thats not his "friend" im saying if he can take a few bombs from hendo then koscheck, fitch, and alves are gonna have a pretty tough time putting him out too. shields really showed me something, granted he didnt finish the fight but he dominated a legend, something to be said for that

5. shields vs silva how will it ends

6. I hate to not give a guy credit for winning a fight but I really don't think Henderson looked like himself when he fought Shields; he landed a couple big punches and then just seemed to gass out. I could be horribly wrong, but I think both Koschek and Alves would TKO Shields without too much trouble. In any case, I guess we'll get to find out soon.

7. CobraClutch says:

@ fabio: Silva by KO easy.

I think Shields almost got finished pretty quickly (as we all saw), but he recovered well, and took the fight to Hendo and didn't stop.

I can see why White wants him in the UFC. Shields just beat Hendo, and has the Strikeforce belt. If nothing else, it's taking a competitor's champion away from them, and further showing that the UFC is the top game in town and when you conquer the amateurs it's time to try your skills in the "big leagues."

I think Shields will be competitive, definitely, but a champion? Hell no…there's no current champion out there (GSP, Silva) that he can beat, IMO.

8. sheilds is the same guy that finised Paul daley and robbie lawler. he can have a few suprises in the ufc. BUT i see kos ko-ing him if they fight.

he has no chance against gsp. gsp would stand with him and tko him just like he did to hughes.

9. He's top tier and I would like to see how he does against GSP. I'm guessing GSP will do what he always does and take shields down and control the fight. Other than GSP I think he will do well.

10. Poppynick says:

Cobra, why do I need to relax? I'm not angry bro, just stating Dana is hypocrite and I don't care for him. Fan of the UFC yes……fan of Dana White……no.

11. Poppynick: just ignore him. It's pointless to answer because he'll just drone on and on for 8 paragraphs about how right he is and how you need to relax and chill and learn to control your anger and I know you are but what am I? and hahahaha and relax bro…… no doubt he'll swoop in to play last word and second

12. Poppynick says:

I know Miko, it's like talking to my 8 yr old. I tried to be tactful in my post only to get an elementary response.

13. Poppynick says:

On a side note I would like to see Shields/GSP fight and I think it would a very competitive fight. One, I don't think GSP would stand with him as he still has Serra haunting him in his head so he prefers to take it to the ground where he has proven he is most dominate (which I have no problem with, I'm a fan of the ground game). I think this would make for an action packed ground war.

14. CobraClutch says:

You two should get a room, so you can keep talking about me all night long as you two cuddle. Damn, to be so obsessed with ME? I am truly flattered. Hahaha. Move on, fellas…I have. :P

15. Poppynick: I have a feeling that if GSP is on top smothering and pummeling him while Jake is trying to escape, it would be an interesting fight.

But if Jake gets on top it will turn into a game of who will out squirm who while Shields throws pitter-pat punches like he's playing patty-cake with him.

The smart thing to do, if GSP wanted to win would be to keep it standing up because I don't think anyone would see it coming.

16. I just thought of something. the element of surprise.

What if Shields has Killer elbows that cut like ken-flo or destroy like Bones? We've never seen him use them.

Suddenly, I'm a bit more interested in this fight… A BIT :)

17. CobraClutch says:

GSP would crush Shields, control him, and pummel him…standing up, on the ground…anywhere Jake wants to get beat…GSP will beat him there. Book it!

18. Cobra, your right, but would he finish him? It's been a while…

19. I agree, I don't think Shields would do well at all in UFC, I think the welterwieght division is too packed with talent. On top of that though, I really haven't seen Sheilds do anything that is really impressive. He kind of has the same style as GSP where he gets to the ground and controls it, but seriously, is there any way he coould control GSP on the ground? Don't think so. I think he would be out of the UFC within 7 fights.

20. Ryan S: you give him 7?

If he doesn't have those elbows I was theorizing about

I think he'll be gone in 3 or 4. :)

21. CobraClutch says:

"Theoretical elbows"…wow.

22. That's it Trollbra, keep proving me right

23. i think shields would do fine in the welterweight div of ufc. He's a better wrestler than kos cuz he continues to actually wrestle. Alves might wreck him, but i think he could take anthony johnson, matt hughes/serra, he might even be able to last a little while w/diego. I would like to see him come to the ufc.

24. CobraClutch says:

I'm sorry, Miko, but if you say something retarded, you're going to get blasted on it. hahaha. It just happened to be me. :P

25. Well, if playing the "what if" game about a possible future fight is retarded then so be it. You say retarded, I say fun.

26. CobraClutch says: