UFC 98: Matt Hughes vs. Matt Serra Official

serra_hughes

The UFC has made it official, Matt Hughes will get a shot at longtime nemesis Matt Serra at UFC 98 on May 23 from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.

The two butted heads while going head to head as coaches of The Ultimate Fighter season 6 reality show.

Both fighters suffered injuries that have sidelined past plans for this grudge match.

For more on UFC 98, check out our UFC Rumors section.

Comments

1. This is turning out to be a pretty good card, i may have to catch it live or worst case order it. Anyhow this fight should be great i hope both come in healthy.

2. I suppose that I should be excited about this fight but I think hughes is past his prime and I cannot stand Serra so I suppose I am rooting for Hughes.

3. Ya, maybe we'll see a double knock out draw haha

4. I hope Serra smashes Hughes… After watching TUF 2 & 6 I am amazed anyone actually likes Hughes – As Serra said "He's a Penis"

That said… I accept Hughes was a good fighter a few years ago before the new crop of fighters appeared and Hughes got old…

I would put Hughes outside the top 10 now;…. in no particular order here are 10 that would kick his ass!

1. GSP

2. Alves

3. Fitch

4. Sheilds

5. Swick

6. Sanchez (at 170)

7. Kos

8. Kampman

9. A Johnson

10.Karo (Without Drugs)

5. i don't know how bad hughes real is, i mean he lost to gsp and alves so would most of the guys on your list, he could be done but losing to those guys dosn't mean that everyone will beat him now, i guess this fight will show alot the old hughes would beat serra but now i am not so sure. i could see why people hate one or the other or even both for me i like serra and hope he wins.

6. I hope matt huges and go out there and slam SErra to the ground and the Pound his ass out..

Charlose should be in your top 10 thing instead of Sanchez..

7. I like both of these fighters in the cage. Out of the cage Hughes seems like a dick jock and Serra seems like a good guy. I think Hughes is going to get the win.

8. Alex Tee says:

I just posted something similar on another thread so thought i'd add my 2 cents here also.

Matt Hughes is a great champion who is now past his best, i agree that much. But losing to GSP and Thiago Alves who are on the way up does not mean he is a finished fighter.

I also think Hughes deserves more credit than alot of people give him for what he's done in MMA and accomplished in the UFC. Maybe some of you forgot about that?????

9. What about Dan Hardy??? surely top 10 in the division

10. Alex Tee says:

DanP – How the hell you can rate Kampman and Koscheck over Matt Hughes i will never know. Would Matt Hughes of got KTFO but that Paulo Thiago at UFC 95 like Kos did?

Remember, the two guys who beat Hughes of late are GSP and Alves, the two top Welterweights in the UFC and both on top of there game, Hughes is still way above the like of Karo, Koscheck, Serra and Kampman even now way past his best.

11. RatAttack68 says:

I hope Hughes pounds the shit out of Serra.

12. serra is a curly headed fuck and hughes will knock his shit out

13. dane drebin says:

serra is bald and hughes has like 2 ko's his entire career lol

14. serra is the worst fighter of all time,, just look at the sht fighters he's produced, pete sell spends more time unconscious then any other athlete in any other sport, luke cummo is good if he fights a real crappy guy

15. dane drebin says:

i think serra is very underrated and if he can keep the fight standing he will win this one in dominate fashion.

16. Businessman says:

I do agree that Hughes losses have come to the top 2 guys in the division…but he has not only lost but looked really bad. When you look at Wanderlei, Chuck, and Cro Cop, those are guys that were the best a few years… true MMA legends… stars that definitely helped put MMA on the main stage, but once they lost it, they lost it fast. I think Hughes fits right in there as well. Not only did he look terrible but he was hurt and required surgery after his last fight. With Serra being so short, I can't see Hughes taking him down. Hughes standup is not great and even if we rate his standup OK, we can't go as far as to say that he could knock anyone out. On the other hand, Serra, is pretty strong, a Black Belt in BJJ (should it go to the ground), and he has knockout power. I want Serra to win because Hughes is a dick.

17. RatAttack68 says:

I agree with businessman about matt hughes latest losses to some of the best at 170. Hughes could of been a dick and not fought Alves because he came in 5lbs over weight (which is bullshit). Also hughes has always been gracious in his losses. I do think it is time for hughes to retire but before he goes I want to see him. Shut Serra's big mouth and go out with a win.

18. Jerry DeLuca says:

Matt Serra is going to destroy Hughs! Come on Matt S…. do your family proud as always.

19. RatAttack68 says:

Matt hughes will destroy serra and then retire

20. Fedor Emelieanko Is The Top #1 Fighter In The World