UFC 98: Matt Hughes vs Matt Serra Likely

serra_hughes

The grudge match between former UFC welterweight champions Matt Hughes and Matt Serra now finally has date. Matt Hughes has announced on his official website that the two will be fighting on May 23 presumably UFC 98.

“Just got a call from Joe Silva and as of right now it looks like I’ll be fighting Matt Serra in Vegas on May 23rd. This is not 100% confirmed, but I believe it is going to be on this date.”

The grudge between the to fighters started during The Ultimate Fighter 6. Both fighters served as opposing coaches and never saw eye to eye on their coaching and lifestyle.

Comments

1. Shogun of Harlem says:

I wish someone would just retire this clown (Matt Huges). I cant stand this guy. When you think he is gone he just keeps coming back.

2. Nate Fury says:

It's about damn time!

3. sleazy cleve says:

This is already turning out to be the worst card ever. Both of these guys are garbage. Serra has always been a horrible fighter (he got lucky with pierre). Hughes is so over the hill its not even funny. Please god dont make this fight… spare us all

4. i like the fight as long as its not the main event, i want serra to win but if hughes has any of himself left and only lost because it was to gsp and alves he will win, if he gets beat by serra its time to retire

5. it better be no main event…co main yes

6. Shogun of Harlem says:

i think both of these fighters suck. I hope Dana white doesnt put these guys as a main event. It would be as bad as watching Kimbo Slice. I wish they both would just go away.

7. What are you guy's talking about..? Matt Serra has got to be one of the top 5 pound for pound fighters out there. He has beaten St. Pierre. What else can I say..? Oh yeah, j/k. I can't stand this clown…

8. dane drebin says:

hughes is a dick but he is one of the most dominant champions ever and deserves his respect for that. he's lost to alves and gsp he must suck…he's got to be done. i guess im just not buying into it. i dont think he will be champ ever again but he still will tool a lot of the fighters in the division.

Serra is cocky but he is a good fighter he has lost a lot fo close fights to good fighters like penn and karo. i dont think he should be champion but he is under rated by way to many people

i think serra has a good chance of beathing hughes basing it one how they both faired against GSP. serra landed a few punches on gsp and stuffed a takedown while hughes mounted 0 offense and got tottaly destroyed. they both got dominated but i just thought serra did preetty well with Gsp in his gaurd for the first round atleast. i think i like serra because he was never ment to be a star and he won TUF and made the most out of it. he took his destiny and won the title when nobody gave him a chance. i dont know a bigger upset than when he destroyed gsp and made him tap out to strikes. gsp even respected his standup enough in the second fight to hardly stand with him. I hope he stops getting injured and fights more than once every 10 years lol.

i can see why people hate on both for their attitudes but they have both done a lot in this sport and deserve some respect.

9. I agree completely Dane. I have talked to a lot of people that don't like Serra simply because they like Hughes more. I have seen many of Serra's fights and even his old Jiu Jitsu competitions and anyone that can say he sucks doesn't know much about him. Hughes is extremely dominant on the ground, but his standup is lacking. It will be a good fight to watch and I hope Serra works on his takedown defense. I will be rooting for Serra.

10. Shogun of Harlem says:

i do like how cocky Hughes is. I also couldnt stand how he talked down to GSP during that ultimate figher episode. I hope he never gets that belt back.

11. i hate both fighters as much as the other …lol…but …each have earned much respect as fighters in thier time … i do hope Serra wins tho …hee hee

12. sleazy cleve says:

Matt Hughes was only good back when Dane White had hair! Which was like ten years ago, just like liddell and coutre he needs to retire. Serra just makes an ok undercard. Serra winning and coaching on TUF did not impress me at all, I mean he won the "comeback" season! Who else was in that season? Do they still fight? Everything about Serra is a joke. But the UFC will have Serra win it, then hughes annouce his retirement, then months to a year later he'll make some type of bullshit comeback.

And Richaaron, top 5 pound for pound fighter? Are you serious? Serra don't even rank in the top 25, maybe even 50.

13. this is a garbage card….it sucks watching these kind of shows where the fighters fighting are a bunch of cocky and pampered lucky work hogs…

14. Serra is a serra and hughes serra is the equivalent if holyfield and tyson fought again

15. richaaron says:

Sleazy cleve, you must not have read my comment all the way thru…

16. sleazy cleve says:

Im sorry richaaron i didnt… didnt mean to sound like a prick…

17. I agree that Serra and Hughes are not going to be champs again but they are still really good welterweight fighters. I want to see this fight happen after all of the wait and hype.

18. they better stack the rest of the card or theres no chance in hell im buying this terd sandwich of a fight.

19. I want to watch this fight, but if it's the main event, I'll be going to Hooters to watch it, instead of paying for it at home. I got ripped off with Silva vs Cote card. Not again.

20. This Would be interesting.

21. This better not be main or co-main. I see the main event as what should be a title fight or atleast number 1 contender fight. The co-main should also have some relevance in the title picture. The fights that dont are not main event worthy. Thats how I see it. This fight just doesnt interest me all that much.

22. Shogun of Harlem says:

I with you steve. I dont care about any of these fighters. When serra beat GSP he was just lucky.

23. Alex Tee says:

Matt Hughes deserves alot more respect than you guys seem to be giving him, did you lot get into MMa like 2 years ago or something?????

Hughes completely dominated the UFC weletrweight division for many years, and whilst i agree he is now past his best, it always surprises me how people sit behind a keyboard and type trash about a great champion.

Just cause you maybe dont like his personality outside the ring, that means nothing, this is MMA.

24. slamking00 says:

i honestly dont believe hughes is as washed up as people think he is.. so GSP killed him, who in the ww division wouldnt get eaten alive by gsp? and yes alves beat him who also beat kos and is now the number one contender. So he loses to the top two guys in the division and hes washed up?