UFC 86: Quinton Rampage Jackson vs. Forrest Griffin

tuf 7 coaches

According to the latest print edition of the Wrestling Observer newsletter, UFC light heavyweight Champion Quinton Rampage Jackson will take on Forrest Griffin at UFC 86 on July 5 in Las Vegas.

Jackson and Griffin are both coaches on the seventh season of “The Ultimate Fighter” reality show, which is set to debut April 7 on SpikeTV.

Comments

1. i can't wait for this one,i read some where else that things got a little heated between the two at one point on the show should be good and even better the fight.

2. i think jackson has it in the bag..he should have fight jardine before getting this..ardine knock out forest

3. Its because people still aren't convinced Jardine is good. I read all of the sherdog posts calling him a can. I personally like both matchups, Jackson vs. Forrest and Jardine vs. Wandi. I can't wait.

4. RAMPAGE AINT GOT NOTHING IN THE BAG!!! GRIFFIN COMES TO FIGHT EVERYTIME I HOPE ITS A GOOD SCRAP AND GRIFFIN COMES OUT ON TOP

5. i Dont know whos gonna win this one, I really like both fighters….But if i had to pick a winner I choose Rampage because he has a much better ground game then Forrest as shown in the Hendo fight

6. i agree brandon i think rampage is a little better at everything stand up and ground, forrest is deffinetly a game fighter though and will give anyone a tough fight that does not knock him out right away.it won't be easy for rampage(unless a quick ko) but i see him winning.

7. This one goes both ways with Rampage having the upper edge.

8. ron shaw says:

I'm rooting for Forrest but Rampage has looked really good in his last two fights.

9. dane drebin says:

i think it should be an awesome fight but i would pick rampage as the winner

10. I thought Rampage looked good against Dan Henderson until I saw Anderson Silva beat him. It should be an awesome slug fest.

11. I just found this website and its fuckin awsome. Finally some people with good veiws on mma. Your right Rampage probably edges Forrest in all aspects, but Forrest is an animal as we all know. So could go either way. Will probably be rooting for Forrest as you gota love the underdog. Cant wait.

12. Yeah I looking forward to this match up. Im rooting for Forrest the underdog in my eyes also.

I think this has to be the most mature mma poster group from my short time here a month or two. Most people post with there brains and not there hearts which is what is about i think not seeing who can putdown the other best though posts like alot of other sites.

There are a few trolls but they get banned pretty fast I thank cagetoday for that.

13. Forrest is definately a fan favorite and underdog. 2nd round of the Tito-Forrest." What a Gamer." However if Rampage trains, its a bad night for Forrest. Jardine exposed his wild looping standup and his chin. He can take a shot but Rampage stand up is more tecnical, and his power up the middle will shorten this fight.

14. Rampage is going to beat Forrest. I don't think Forrest will get out of the second round.

15. I like Forrest in this fight. He is a warrior. Rampage will hit him with his best shots and he will keep coming.

16. I like both fighters alot so whoever wins i cant loose. I have to give it to rampage though, since his days in PRIDE he has worked in his words "his black ass off". Forrest can take and throw some great puches and since his loss to jardine he seems to have tightened up his movement and throws less arm punches and keeps his hands tighter while throwing more kicks leaving himself less open for the counter. I think rampage is more well rounded but he wont be as strong as he would like in this fight, Forrest is a big man very big 205er, i think when he was training for shogun randy couture said he weighed about 240 just a couple of weeks before the fight.

17. forrest comes to fight every time, i predict a late second or early third round submission by forrest griffin

18. Doesnt matter Ramapge has fought the best the World has to offer and has dont great, I think Rampage Jackson brings it, Dan Handerson is much better on the ground then Forrest and he coudlnt Keep Jackson down, regardless Jackson has a big head and I dont think he's gonna get a suprise choke. Jackson in the First or Third Round TKO. Strength is a huge factor because cardio wont be a factor at all, both these guys are gonna be in great shape, its gonna be Jackson overwhelming Griffin with his striking and if it goes to the ground Jackson has a signifigant size andvantage and is a great wrestleer I dont see Griffins ground game being better than Jacksons, he showed us against Henderson. The difference: Jackson can dictate where the fight goes. Griffin likes to put on a show which this is not the fighter to try and play to the crowd.

19. Just came across this site and by far you guys are the most matured MMA fans that I have seen. I don't want to base my choice refering to their previous fights (although its really a good way of predicting the outcome of the fight) because I am tired of counting Forrest out. I did it when he went againts Tito and Shogun and he proved me wrong. But i have to pick one so Forrest is my guy.

Rampage is a bad ass dude but Forrest is one tough guy. Wherever this fight goes Rampage has the advantage but lets not forget that Forrest is in the same situation when he won againts shogun.

20. Jackson is better than Forrest in every facet. Jackson is stronger than Forrest, Jackson is faster than Forrest, Jackson has more experience than Forrest, Jackson has a better record than Forrest, and Jackson is leagues ahead of Forrest in stand up, ground, and scrambling techniques. Forrest is a survivor, but that is all he will do, survive and nothing more.

21. I think Rampage will win…

But having said that I could not believe my eyes during the Griffin v Shogun fight… after watching Rua in Pride I expected him to destroy Forrest (just like he did to Rampage in the Pride Gran Prix)

So,… who knows – Griffin could pull it out the bag!

22. Big Jay says:

I like Rampage in this fight. I to like both fighters as well but Rampage is just one bad dude. Now something everyone has to think of though as well Forest fights a lot better when he gets hurt.

Rampage what can I say about the guy. Other than he is a very determind person and strong, he also is a more rounded fighter than forest. I believe this fight will end in the second round with Rampage still the champ

23. RAMPAGEMMA says:

griffin has no chance but to lose, rampage will tear his ass off

24. forest is gonna win by nockout..

25. dane drebin says:

who has forest ever knocked out? like jackson said he cant bsut a grape but if u say so jason

26. WOW Ramgane is tha man , he lost but what ever , if it was atrue fight fuckin life or death rampage woulda fuckin killed him so fuck yall peace

27. One fighter walked out messed up and that was Forrest. Nuff said. I hope Rampage wakes the f up an realizes that he can't take the title for granted. Forrest outpointed him so he got the belt.

28. Nichole Lesniak says:

So what the he was messed up? Last time I checked…that's not how the winner is decided.

29. alot of rampage lovers here. The fact is the matter is this Rampage caused more damage but he lost the fight. You cannot go into a fight and expect to caveman club a guy until he quits or gets knocked out. Ask the last ten gusy who have lost to machiada if you go in there like rampage does trying to drop bombs he would lose to him to, it is turning into a well rounded fighters game not just a banger or ground and pound guy, also why tito cant win a fight anymore. I dont like rampage, i dont think he should have lost the belt personally I think you should have to take it, but this is no different than any other fight gets scored. He will get a rematch so everyone needs to just cool down a bit.

30. Rampage would most likely not Machida out if the y fought and Forrest did win this fight. If you guys know a little about forrest then you know that he has some of the wrst scar tissue on the planet. So him being cut up and shit looks worse than it is. Rampage left witha fuckin really beaten up leg that he could probally barely walk on the next day. Forrest had a black eye and a cut. So the damage wasnt that much diferent just in different places. Rampage just didnt stay active enough.It seemed to me like he was taking some rounds off that he needed to win. Forrest won 3 rounds and rampage won 2. I do think that rampage would have won if he just knew how to check leg kicks. An im sure that he will be able to check the niext time they fight and I will be looking forward to seeing that b/c it was looking lie Rampage was gonna knock forrest out until he got leg kicked in the early 2nd and dropped from it. But overall I loved the fight and I thought it was one of the better fights in the past 10 UFC's. Especially in main events and I personally dont see what agruing over who did more damage will change the outcome. Go back to the GSP vs Penn fight. B.J did way more damage to GSP but he had clearly lost 2 of the 3 rounds. Guess what you lose when you do that damage or not. Unless you finish him then the fight goes to decision and the judges have to right down who won what rounds! You gyus know that. Thats the sport and rules love it or hate but you gotta accept it.

31. he would most likely knock machida out*

32. I don't know about that, I've never seen Machida get knicked out. Forrest was a big reason for the success of TUF and the UFC so I'm glad he got the belt. It was a close fight. If Chuck loses they will do it again.

33. forrest didnt beat the champ..if you want the belt you have to trake it from the champ and forrest didnt do that

34. Rayburn says:

@tom

if you want the belt you have to take it from the champ – is an old boxing saying which is have contributed to the downfall of the sport

The judges decision should be based on the fight at hand and not on record or titles. If forrest out pointed jackson on that night he is the champion bar none.

35. The fight that i watched showed Forest leaving the cage with the HW Belt…so how did he not take it?

Yes it was a close fight. Yes Forest face was damaged more than Rampages. Yes Forest got rocked a couple times. BUT Forest won 3 of the 5 rounds with one of those being scored by some as a 10-8. This is what decides a fight. Not blood and black eyes.

Rampage did not fight like a champ either!

36. Well said guys. I like this because it sets up a great rematch down the line. In the meantime I wouldn't mind seeing a Wandi Rampage rematch.

37. dane drebin says:

thats wierd naco the match u watched had forest leaving with the LIGHT heavyweight belt

38. dane drebin says:

i watched lol*

39. my bad. thank drebin…light HW belt.

40. You Rampage queers need to get a life. Griffin was clearly the superior fighter in all respects: ring management, striking, grappling. All Jackson was ever able to manage was catching Griffin with a couple of powershots as Forrest forced the action. Jackson said it best after the fight when he admitted he got his ass kicked. Bottom line is Jackson showed very little skill and was only ever able to land anything because Griffin was forcing the action. Forrest was the aggressor, had superior skills and, what really matters, won on all three score cards. It didn't help that Jackson disrespected his opponent before the fight and then was unable to back it up.

41. very nicely put

42. amazing stuff thanx :)