UFC 85: BJ Penn vs. Sean Sherk

UFC President Dana White stated at a post UFC 80 press conference, that Former UFC lightweight Champion Sean Sherk will face Current UFC lightweight Champion BJ Penn at an unannounced fight sometime in May.

This will be BJ Penn’s firsts title defence after claiming the lightweight title by defeating Joe Stevenson at UFC 80.

UFC 85 is rumored to me May 25 in Las Vegas, but don’t be surprised if the UFC plans another event around Cinco De Mayo (May 5).

Comments

1. I ment 24/5!!!

2. little bit says:

G´man, I think you are using Sherk's hot test results as an excuse. We will see who the better fighter is soon enough. B.J. does not have as impressive a record as Sherk, nor does he fight as much. B.J. is a good fighter, but he has met his match with the Muscle Shark.

3. Couldn´t agree with you more Little bit, his record is much better than penn´s and trains much harder.

If sherk doesn´t get a serious cut or anything i think he will destroy penn with take-downs and gnp.

4. little bit says:

Thank you Adam! Sherk's superior wrestling skills and cardio will end this fight before 5 rounds.

5. Yeah im thinking the same thing,the fight will be over long before 5 rounds.

And yeah his cardio and strength much better than penn´s,and the record 33-2-1 much better.and he have never lost a fight by submission.

The fight will be very interesting either way.

I also like to say that it will be interesting to see if Penn will brag about his abs like he did after the fight against Stevenson in the fight with the Muscle shark hehe.

6. little bit says:

If it is an ab contest he wants, then that is what he shall have.

Sherk is always in shape, and he will definitely bring his best game to the octagon.

7. Like I said in comment #45

Sherk is not a finisher. If Sherk gives his back which wrestlers do, than I know Penn will finish the fight.

GAURANTEED!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Sherk's going to lose because he's not a finisher. I agree with Joe B. Its only a matter of time before Sherk gives up a bad position and then the fight will be over.

9. danedrebin says:

ya who exactly was the last person sherk finished in the ufc? and when was the last time penn was finished besides when hughes broke his rib? i dont think thats a likely situation. anything can happen but if sherk has any chance of winning i think its by LnP

10. little bit says:

It was Tiki Ghosn by Submission at UFC® 30: The Battle On The Boardwalk on 02/23/2001 in round 2 at 4:47. That was the last person Sherk finished in the UFC. But there are a lot of good fighters that are finishers that Sherk has beaten. I do agree that his finishes have been poor in the UFC. However, he has a very impressive resume, including other organizations.

Result Opponent Method Event Title

Win Hermes Franca Decision (Unanimous) UFC 73 –

Win Kenny Florian Decision (Unanimous) UFC 64 –

Win Nick Diaz Decision (Unaminous) UFC 59 –

Loss Georges St. Pierre TKO (Strikes) UFC 56 –

Win Joel Blanton Submission (Rear Naked Choke)

Win Lee King Submission (Arm Triangle Choke) EC 60

Win Brodie Farber Submission (Choke) SF 6 –

Win Darin Brudigan Submission (Arm Triangle Choke)

Win Gerald Strebendt TKO EC 58 –

Win Eric Heinz Submission (Neck Crank) PFA –

Win Jake Short Submission (Rear Naked Choke)

Win Kaleo Padilla Submission (Neck Crank)

Win Ryuki Ueyama Decision (Unanimous) PRIDE –

Win Steve Gomm Decision EC 28 –

Win Scott Bills Decision EC 28 – Extreme

Win Kurtis Jensen TKO Extreme Challenge –

Win Johnnie Holland Submission (Keylock) UW

Win Roscoe Ostyn Decision Dangerzone –

11. little bit says:

He won the majority of his fights by submission or TKO. I think if B.J. gives him an opening, which is not likely, Sherk will finish him.

12. You see he can finish his opponents by strikes or submission. agree with you all that the UFC fights may not be the most impressive perfomance by sherk when it comes to submissions and knockouts but in a fight like this i think he will do everything to destroy penn before 5 rounds.

But we will see who the winner will be, they are both good fighters but my favorit is Sherk becouse he got the same attitude as myself and likes to train very very hard.

13. danedrebin says:

look up those fighters u listed off's records and their accomplishments… sherk has a deceiving record. karo, diaz, florian and franca are about the only ones worth mentioning. bj's faught far stiffer competition imo

14. little bit says:

I respect your opinion, but I have watched several of the other fights. Some of them are really intense. Sherk got himself into some trouble and had to fight out of it. Yes, he fought some nobodys, but not all of B.J.'s fights have been against superstars either. I just can not wait until this fight really happens.

15. danedrebin says:

agreed

16. if you guys are going to agrue pleast at least make a point with something to back it. anyway the moron about bj and his hawaiian sovereignty, you have no idea what that is about so unless you go find out about the topic you should shut your mouth because you're dumb. and yes i do know about it because im a white boy the grew up in hawaii for 22 years of my 24 year old life… so yeah ive talked about it. so the talk about records. sherk. who has he beat? his UFC record is 6-2…not great, but if he beat anyone in a non UFC fight that is a somewhat big name please educate me. as far as BJ, so he only has wins. but lets look at his losses. jens (former champ) hughes (former champ) gsp (former/current champ)…….now who was #4 the guys saying sherk will win prob dont know so i guess ill tell them Lyoto Machida (yes the same light heavyweight that is going to fight tito on the same card, also a bigger stronger fighter with an undefeated record…beacuse it matters so much) also bj lost that fight by decision went 3, 5min rounds. and why cant bj RNC sherk? is that not how he finished hughes? sherk cant have too much of a bigger neck than hughes, if it even is. anyway all im saying is if you are going to say something please make a point and a record or "his cardio" is not a point, back it up.

once again as long as both fighters stay more or less healthy bj will win the fight and for all the ones that love to talk crap please email me @ awsk8tr@msn.com i know you will if sherk wins, but when penn wins dont be a punk like sherk, send me some something along the lines of "you were right daddy"

17. I am with Tom, the proof is in the poodin if the only guys you have lost to are former/current champs and a undefeated light heavy its pretty safe to say that you are a legit fighter, but at the end of the day we will all find out in a few weeks, Penns a great fighter but his conditioning has always been questionable and shreks training albeit loaded with juice (not orange or apple) is one of the most heralded in all the sport, to me thats what it is going to come down to, who gets gassed first, either way should be a great fight, lets hope.

18. STEVEO and TOM are right. Didn't GSP break SHERKS nose in like 3 place a couple years ago. If sherk passes the piss test this time he his gonna get tapped. Sherk has beaten only lower level opponents. And for any one who doesn't understand juice the steroid it self helps your recovery time so you can pump iron for like 5-6 hours at a time with out getting tired or having the next day agonizing pain that SUPPOSED to come with it that is why steroids are only perscribed to old people or those with cripling injuries or illnesses. Every crack that people make on sherk he deserves

19. I am also going with achilles on this one, to me hes barry bonds, yeah they may not have enough to get him nailed but you got got with the lid to the cookie jar in your hand not the cookie. GUILTY. he does deserve every bit of trouble he gets into and all the criticsm but lets be fair Hermes franca wa ALSO inplicated for banned supstances so in theory if you think about it, it was a fair fight in my book, and I think that fight could have gone either way. Hes not the only one who was juicing, I have my own theories, look at Cro Cop when he fought in pride and look at him in UFC, a fair size difference, hmmmmmm. If it isnt yet it will become a problem in the sport. Has anyone figured out what Paulo is in rehab for yet?

20. The Franca fight was completely fair because both of them cheated. But JUICE or no Juice Fighting isn't about curls and deadlifts. Look at ANDERSON SILVA he look anorexic and he is the best fighter on the planet. BJ looks like a regular small guy but is still the best LIGHTWEIGHT on the planet and should take Sherk out

21. To say it was a fair fight because they both took steroid isnt really true. not all steroids are the same. franca got busted for dromostanolone, its something alot of bodybuilds take to help cut weight and stay lean. franca said he took it because of a bad injury to his ankle i think. he said it happend 8 weeks out. but i really dont think thats true. i think he prob had a problem cutting weight and he used it to help. because dromostanolone can be out of the body 10 days after you stop using it, from what i read. and also so many other steroid could of been used to help with the injury way better than dromostanolone. so i think he wasnt gonna make weight so he took it within a week or so of the fight just to make weight. but thats just what i think. he still cheated tho and gets what he gets i dont feel bad for him at all, but at least he was a man and said yes i did it. as for sherk im not saying he for sure did steroids but really think about it. its MMA he is just about the only guy that looks like that (in a size/ riped/ for his weightclass, type of way) and c'mon you cant tell me that he is the only guy in MMA with his type of training. really now think about it. i didnt read any of the case against him or any of his appeal, because i really didnt care to much. but the steroid he "used" was nandrolone one that help you build big stong muscles. very fitting of sherk's body type. so a roid that make you big and storng vs. a roid that makes you lean and cut they both cheated but if you wanted to take one to win a fight what would you take? now say it was a fair fight if they both took roids. but like i said im not saying sherk took them, the same as i would say O.J. never killed, but i just dont like sherk as a fighter, he is boring….look at his last two title fights. vs KenFlo (i was at the event) it was boring he was on top most the fight yet he had the second worst cut i can think of off the top of my head (we all know what the #1 cut was, bj vs joe if you dont) then his fight vs franca the only good part was franca sub attempts and knees. it almost seems like hes got that tim sylvia thing "im the champ and bigger and stronger im gonna just do what i need to win by dec. cuz i dont really want to fight" but thats just how i feel no need to comment back.

22. I can´t wait for this fight, it´s going to be interesting to see how it will end, i hope sherk wins but penn i a good submission guy.

I hope Sherk can use his strength to take him down, we know that he is stronger than bj and better condition as well.

But im not gonna say like a lot of you other guys say, that penn will finish him in the first round or that penn will do this and that to him.

Im not even going to say that sherk will do this and that to penn, we shall all see in May who will be the lightweight champion, sherk or penn? i dont know who.

23. little bit says:

I think that this fight could be one of the best fights in UFC history, or it could end in the first round. No one can call this one. I hope Sherk wins, but B.J. is a very well rounded fighter and not easily beaten. This is not only going to be a good fight, but a good card as well…Tito vs. Machida, Jardine vs. The Ax Murderer, and the Penn vs. Sherk fight. I am more excited about this card than I have been in a long time! We will see who the lightweight champ is after the dust clears.

24. little bit says:

Achilles, GSP did break Sherk's nose. But remeber that this happened before Sherk moved down a division. Sherk was a very small welterweight. Sherk is undefeated as a lightweight, and I would not compare GSP to B.J. Penn. They are two very different fighters with two very different fighting styles. However, this fight will be just as fast paced as the Sherk GSP fight. Should be great!

25. BJ penn (who is smaller than sherk) fought GSP and you can give him a slight, very slight, argument that he won the fight if you showed before and after pics of the fight GSP had bruises all over his face and had a hard time with BJ PENN. SHERK is not as good as GSP standing or on the GROUND and will not be able to contain PENN at all.

26. Tom, I cannot agree more as far as the boring part goes, they need to change the rules to getsome of these asses that go out there to not lose instead of win. Thats why i love Kenflo, Houston, Liddell, Silva-thiago-wani-andersen, heath herring, they go out there and fight and try to end that shit. Its a fight, not a college wrestling match. i still say they need to make a fight that goes decision a draw or make the scoring different, I hate how a guy can be totally dominated for two rounds, barely win three and win a fight because he ekked one out.

27. little bit says:

Achilles, Penn is 5'9" and Sherk is 5'6" what do you mean when you say Penn is smaller? Were you talking about weight? I do agree that Penn did much better against GSP than Sherk, but this is a different fight. I respect your loyalty to Penn, but I have to stick with Sherk on this one.

28. I don't even cheer for BJ PENN just when credit is deserved its give. Yes I mean weight. I have seen footage of SHERK training he cuts weighs normaly over 190 lbs and cuts down to 155 like a lot of fighters do. PENN has never weighed over 175 and he is still the favorite to win.

29. i agree with achilles its not that i am a huge b.j. fan its just the way that i see it.sherks only chance to win is to out condition b.j. and i don't think b.j is going to come in out of shape for this or sherk could possibly hold him down the whole fight and not try any submissions or throw any punches cause that would leave him open for b.j. submisions.

30. little bit says:

Stylistically this is not a good fight for Penn. However we saw him completely dominate Joe Daddy in his last fight. Joe is a great wrestler. I agree that Penn will be ready for the fight. I am excited to see how this one turns out. I think we are all going to be surprised. B.J. has trained with Frank Mir. Mir said that even though he outweighed him by almost 100 lbs. he couldn;t submit him. I know B.J. is a phenominal fighter, but I don't know if B.J. can last all 5 rounds. If Sherk can hold on, he will win. Sherk has not been that impressive in the UFC, I have seen him in much more exciting fights in other organizations. This fight will be a good one.

31. Stylistically this is a perfect fight for PENN. finall y a guy with shorter limbs so he can out strike him on his feet. (not that he ever had a problem before) and another guy who is going to try to overpwer him which plays right into BJ's jujitsu. Old fights don't mean any thing now he has been in UFC excusively for almost 3 years now. CRO COP was a MONSTER ins PRIDE now in the UFC he is a stiff. This is not SHERKS fight.

32. Strength & Conditioning is important when it comes to fighting and I give that to Sherk, but…

Fighting is more about expressing yourself creatively.

BJ Penn has taken all the creative solutions of jujitsu's past great fighters and has evolved them & created new solutions specific to todays cage fighting.

BJ is a true fighter, he uses his brain, not just his brawn.

WIN or LOSE, BJ will bring somthing new to the table that will help real fighters all over the world think outside the box.

But Like I said in comment 45 & 57, my moneys on BJ Penn.

33. I'm gonna refer back to when GSP fought Sherk as opposed to when he fought BJ. (Btw GSP is one of my favorite fighters) GSP DOMINATED Sherk, no question. He busted his nose…he friggin' owned Sherk!!. When GSP fought BJ it was a different story. Did you see St. Pierre's face at the end of the fight?!! He looked like Carrie at the prom. Georges won by decision due to one too many take downs. The only criticism that Penn got was the whole conditioning thing and that he gassed. You all can say that Sherk didn't belong @ 170, well u could make the same argument for Penn but look at the results of both fights – Sherk got mauled by GSP and BJ gave him one of his greatest challenges.

Oh, and one more thing. All the stuff that I've read here about Sherk winning due to his great wrestling skills and his insane workouts…I read the same things about Joe Daddy before he fought BJ.

BJ PENN FTW!

34. Can´t you stop repeating the GSP vs Sherk fight all the time, we all know that Penn did better than Sherk did against him but all the fight´s cant be the same.

I mean, why compare all the previous fight´s when we all know that this one wont be the same at all.

Ok Joe stevenson trained very hard for the fight against Bj but Sean Sherk got more experience than him,he´s older and he got the chans to see what Bj Penn brings out there, this fight wont be the same as penn vs stevenson.

35. Isaac is right PENN is the better fighter period.

36. Penn beat GSP (watch the fight 15 times like I have)! He won the first two rounds!! His technique on the ground, and his stand up are better than roid boy. Not only that he shut down Hughes both times. The second fight he was injured and couldn't breath…… nothing to do with conditioning. So, if he's better than two bigger guys that totally dominated Sherk, what is Sherk going to do???

** "His kneck is to big to be chocked"…….. retarted!

37. HA I DO AGREE WITH BJ VS gsp that bj won but GSP has gotten alot better from that fight and im going to laugh when bj loses to sherk

38. i would like to see bj penn vs. anderson silva, or better yet, GSP vs. silva. and then silva vs. liddell in that order.

39. Anderson silva would destroy Bj penn, but that fight will never happen im afraid, but GSP vs silva seams more likely.

But i think that silva would win that fight too.

What do you think about kenny florian vs Joe lauzon on fight night april 2?

Personally i think this can be a great fight, both submission guys.

But i think Kenny will take it, he got to good stand up with those leathal elbows and a great ground game as well.

Joe´s ground game is very impressive, but in this fight i think that he faces an opponent with too much experience.

40. Whoa Adam, you're talkin about my top 3 favorite fighters here! yeah the Silva VS. Penn won't happen because there is no way BJ can put on 30 lbs. to get up to 185 and still be effective. Also there's no way Silva can drop down to 155 because he's already so tall and lean. Could they meet in the middle at 170? probably not. But Silva "destroying" BJ? I don't think it would be that bad. i just don't see Silva man-handling BJ like he did Rich Franklin.

I would be seriously drooling if they set up a GSP vs. Silva fight! I think GSP would have to go up to 185. That would be so sick! I couldn't even predict a winner because they both fuckin kick ass.

I wanted Joe Lauzon to win tonight but Ken Flo (hate his nick name) controlled the whole fight. he looked solid.

We're getting off topic here though! It's about BJ and Sherk… BJ Penn FTW!!

41. no offense Isaac but anderson silva would plow right through every person you just named off….liddell, GSP, Penn, i love all of these fighters but i dont think that anderson silva is going to lose a fight anytime in the near future unless he bumps up in weight

42. yeah erik you're probably right. Anderson Silva is a bad ass MF.

43. I just watched Hughes vs Sherk fight, great fight even if Hughes dominated the fight on the ground.

But Sean did much better than Penn did against Hughes, in the second fight that is.

If Sherk can avoid getting a cut or caught in a choke earlie in the fight i think that he´ll win the fight.

Even if Penn is training hard for this fight i still think that he dont have the same strength and cardio as sherk have, he might last 3 rounds but the last 2 rounds might get to hard for him to avoid sherk´s brutal takedowns.

That´s what i think, but i guess we all have to wait for the fight to see who the winner will be.

44. sherk will win this wen he takes ppl dwn he rips through them and is sherk gets a gd takdwn bj will snap

45. this is a championship fight or title fight. which means this will be FIVE rounds, not three. bj better be running like 6 miles a day.

46. If Sherk tries to finish instead of wrestling points out of his opponent it could be a great fight. Other than that, he couldn't finish Ken Flo or Hermes Franca and just seemed happy wearing them out.

47. I just have a feeling that BJ will show Sherk something that he will not know how to react properly to. Everytime BJ fights his jujitsu evolves into something even more lethal and direct!

Sherk will definately have his hands full!

48. Kash & Derek Right on. BJ been saying he got just enough cardio to put Sherk away but that doesn't sound like BJ is training hes endurance to much. I pulling for the prodigy of course. Unless BJ doesn't get takin down which is possible but not likely, Sherk doesn't have anything else to threatin BJ with. BJ has the stand-up/submissions and the raw talent over Sherk.

49. Sherk vs Florian, that was a good fight.Look at Florian now,he´s one of the best fighters in the lightweight division,if he (and i think he will) defeats Roger huerta the titlefight is not far away.

The reason i brought Kenny Florian up is becouse Sean Sherk beat him, and Kenny is great bjj and stand up guy but couldn´t handle Sherks takedowns.

Some of you keep saying that Bj Penn did better against GSP than Sherk did,thats right but that was a long time ago now.

He beat Nick diaz, Bjj brownbelt, Kenny Florian Bjj black belt and Hermes Franca also a great Bjj fighter.

Even if Bj Penn have improved his cardio i still think that the fight against Sherk might be to much for him.

If Sherk can avoid Penn´s submissions in the first 2 rounds i think that he will break him after 3 rounds.

50. little bit says:

I have to agree with Adam. Sherk has definitely shown that he can handle himself against great BJJ fighters. Speaking of the Nick Diaz fight, Sherk actually spent most of the time on his feet. He stood up with Diaz, and won. However, we could spend years comparing Penn and Sherk. We will all just have to wait a little longer to find out what is really going to happen. These kinds of fights can turn in a second. I hope B.J. is ready, but I think the belt will go to Sherk. Regardless, it will be a good fight!