UFC 84: Shogun Returns

mauricio shogun rua

In a recent interview with GracieMag, Mauricio “Shogun” Rua has stated that he will return to the cage April 19 at UFC 84 in Montreal, Canada.

An opponent to face Rua is not yet known.

Shogun recently underwent knee surgery following his devastating loss to Forrest Griffin at UFC 76.

“We decided everyone would stay in Curitiba. My brother (Murilo Ninja) had already bought his ticket, but decided to stay. The two of us and Dida (Andre) will stay and we’ll open our own gym, called UDL (Universidade da Luta). The team looks promising; we already have around 15 fighters with us. I went back to heavy training today and we’re training muay thai with Mauricio Veio and physical conditioning with Moralez. We’re looking for a Jiu-Jitsu coach for our groundwork, but for the time being we’re training among ourselves,”

“I’m already preparing for my return, I’ll fight on April 19th. Ninja and Dida go back in March. I’m injury free and with none of the pains in my knee that bothered me so, I’ll devote my entire day to fighting and I’ll be 100%. I’ll do my best to give back to my fans.”

Comments

1. can't wait to see who he is fighting.

2. Love Shogun…i just hope the give him a good opponent and not just a rebound scrub

3. Shogun vs. Thiago Silva…??? Who does everyone reading this think he should fight???

4. shogun would not fight another brazilian from the same camp. shogun should fight chuck liddell or even keith jardine or bisping.

5. Good point, i didn think of that…yea but hes fighting in april so tell me who is going to be ready to fight him in april…i dont want to see him fight Keith Jardine because i frankly dont thin jardine is that good…hes got great chin with good striking (lidell lost the fight to him more than jardine winning it) and hes got average ground game…so who else could he possibly fight…?

6. i don't think they will give him a easy fight it will be somebody in the top ten. i would like to see him fight chuck,machida,rampage,tito maybe jardine.the easiest oppent i think they will offer him is evans.

7. Evans wont fight after the bisping fight so soon….rampage is fighting griffin, machida is fighting ortiz and lidell wont be ready in time so that eliminates everyone except jardien which i dont want to see

8. thats what it may be brandon,i am with you on jardine he is a tough guy but i don't think he will be in the top ten for long.Evans may be ready by then and tito may turn down the fight with machida leaving either one of them open.Either way it should be interesting.

9. whoever he fights im just glad that hes fighting…shogun is my boy but he took griffing lightly and highly underestimated him

10. dane drebin says:

i think shogun vs jardine would be a fun fight to watch i think shogun would take it and why does everyone not want to see him fight jardine? if he wins so what i would like to see shogun notch a win. he's not gunna fight bisping because bisping is 185 now. shogun vs houston alexander maybe but i think shogun would take him down and submit him in round 1 easily. how bout shogun vs babalu seeing as babalu beat him before… how much longer is babalu suspended anyone know? could be interesting

11. who ever he fights i will watch it.

12. i think shogun would run through jardine in the first round, it wouldnt even be fun to watch cause he would just dominate so quickly

13. yeah but dane is right he does need a win right now.

14. id like to see him fight rashad before i see him fighting jardine…i think in both fights he dominates and gets a win. rashad is an all around better MMA fighter than jardine so i say he fights the better fighter and wins

15. evans is the better fighter, and i would rather it be him too and just like you said either one should be a win for him.

16. i think he should fight evans and chuck should hold off and fight shogun after that. The winner of that fight should get a shot at the winner of jackson/griffin. That way if chuck wins than hes coming of two conscutive wins of of big names and if shogun wins than hes also coming off two consecutive wins off big names even if evans will be an easy fight for him. Especially since the jackson/griffin fight isnt happeneg for a while because of TUF, this plan i think works out perfectly…they could all be fighting at nearly the same time

17. dredlokrasta says:

I would like to see Shogun fight a well rounded opponent to prove that he is ultimately back. Injuries could be tricky and he might want to test that right away instead of "sparring" to a big match only to find out your knee don't work properly. I want to see him come back to add even more drama to th LHW division. Goody Goody.

18. alright well tell me what well rounded lhw that are at or near his level are avaible for fighting…no one

19. dredlokrasta says:

Obviously, the only opponent "near his level" would be coming out of his own camp. Rather, I agree Rashaad would be a great match for him, as far as standing and ground game. I know he's no BJJ or anything, but Evans can hold his own, if he could get over them damn slow starts. Someone like Alexander, which has no ground game that we have seen, wouldn't challenge Shogun's ground ability, nor would Kieth Jardine. They would be easy pickins, in my opinion, for Rua. I agree with you fully, I was just stating I don't want to see him come out and dominate. I think Rashaad is a good test for him now because he can stand and he's a wrestler. IMO

20. oh right lol well then good call…whats IMO mean? But u make a good point saying he'll add more drama to the lhw divison, right now WW and LHW are fucking stacked…its unbelieavble. I think that those two divison have the best athletes in any sport in the world right now

21. Too bad we can't see Thiago Silva vs. Shogun, but they were former training partners. I think Jardine and Rashad are in limbo right now and might be considered for this fight. Houston Alexander is almost finalized to fight Irvin so he is out. Actually, Jardine has a pretty good ground game but Shogun is world class. Jackson trains Jardine and Rashad a lot on the ground, they are not just strikers.

22. thats what i said, i would love to see silva vs. Shogun would be great…and i wouldnt say jardine is good on the ground, id give him like a C or a C+ if i had to give him a grade. But yeah im betting that the fight ends up to be rashad and shogun…no comlaints although i believe it will be a completely one sided fight with shogun dominating

23. dredlokrasta says:

Brandon, IMO is "in my opinion".

24. dredlokrasta says:

UFC 84 is also when we get to see GSP destroy Matt Cera in the cage. I think this card could turn out to be a very interesting one in early '08.

25. i dont know, the only fights i really care about are GSP/ Serra and Shogun

26. i also care about the brock lesnar – frank mir fight. i have a hard time calling it. i know lesnar will take mir to the ground, but the question is — can mir pull out a submission? we both know lesnar will not get knocked out. his tree trunk neck absorbs all punches.

27. thats not the same event tho, im talking about the matt serra/ GSP event. As for lesnar he needs to take mir to the ground and then just basically lay down on Mir and let Mir squirm and try to get out and wast his enerygy, and when hes gassed lesnar has got to let the hands go…that is if he can pull this off without getting submitted

28. I'm just looking foward to Shogun returning to old form now that he has had surgery to fix his knee. I hope he fights Tito because thats the rumor right now.

29. I think Shogun vs. Jardine would be a war, or Shogun vs. Rashad would be interesting. I think someone above said Shogun would walk through Jardine so easily it wouldn't even be worth watching. LOL, you mean the same way Jardine walked through Forrest in the first round?

I don't see either fight being an easy fight for Shogun.

1 Jardine dominated the man that handled and submitted Shogun in his last fight, has five round cardio, H.W. chin, and possibly the best leg kicks in the game (which could be bad on a newly healed knee).

2 Rashad has arguably the best wrestling in the division, H.W. chin and strength, 5 or more round cardio, and trains with a beast every day (Jardine).

3 Greg Jackson is their coach. (Look at St. Pierre's improvement)

I can't say I'm a fan of Rashad or Jardine, but man, they are just nasty, hungry fighters. Either will be a huge test.

I have another scenario that I think would be a throwdown for the books, even though it would never happen: Shogun vs. Truth (B. Vera drops to 205)

Muay Thai showdown.

30. When Griffin secured the win over Rua, that was an example of a stellar Forrest Griffin and a not so stellar Shogun. If Shogun comes back 100%, he would dominate both Evans and Jardine IMO. It would be worth watching though. I wouldn't mind seeing Rashad get dominated by a fighter who's exciting to watch. It would be a little redemption for the money I've wasted watching some of Rashad's boring fights.

I would also like to see Vera at 205 vs. Shogun. It wont ever happen until Vera is willing to live without his ice cream.

31. Good shout Joe… I know the LHW is very strong right now… but Vera & Cro Cop at 205 would spice it up even more!!

I would love to see Shogun smash Evans!

32. Cro Crop vs Shogun…thats a fucking fight…i also agree that Vera and Shogun would be such a good fight, leg kicks and strikes flying everywhere…very exciting

33. they all sound good can't wait for it to happen.somebody mentioned shogun vs silva,i don't think they would look for this fight but it would not be out of the question if one where champ i think they would fight. they entered they same tourniment before and would have faced each other if it weren't for silva losing to arona.and shogun vs vera or cro cop would be interesting maybe similar to vansy vs cro cop who fought twice the first one was with special rules that helped cro cop and there where no judges it was win or lose he they did not finsh each other it was called a draw if there where judge vandy won hands down the second fight of course cro cop knocked out vandy.

34. crocop isn't going to drop down now although he should. if he loses his next fight i think he will consider retirement or dropping down. while i think shogun would win jardine and rashad, i dont think he will destroy them. they are good fighters and rashad i think can be great if he keeps training bjj with jackson. jardine has one of the best chins in the division.

35. yeeah i said silva vs. shogun but that wont happen, other than that its only rashad in my mind that will make the best fight…either way this god damn suspense is fucking killing me, they gotta make a desicion soon so we know who hes fighting

36. shitz disturber says:

GIVE ME VERA VS LIDDELL

37. Honestly, I don't believe some of you know MMA as much as you think. To start off with, BRANDON, you trying to grade Jardine's ground game is ridiculous. How many PRO mma fighters have you rolled with on the ground? And when has Jardine ever needed to show off his ground game? Secondly, Robbie, you were trying to say that Evans has "arguabley the best wrestling in the division and 5 round cardio" you're a complete idiot. Did you see his fight with Bisping? How tired were both of them in round 2? Rashad's wrestling is no where near best in the divison and his cardio is horrible. A lot of the posts here are garbage. You people need to become better educated "fans" of MMA and stop sitting here in forums posting your ludacris posts of nonsense.

38. dane drebin says:

i agree jesus!

and wandy jsut stated in an interview when it was announced that he was comming to the ufc that shogun sat by and watched as he was champion and he would do the same for shogun if he was champ. he has said he would never fight shogun in match. Bas rutten once said that they fought over a pitbull puppy in the gym hahah. wandy didnt want to pay for one of shoguns pups but shogun needed the money so they made a bet if shogun won the fight wandy would have to pay and if he lost wandy would get it for free. wandy was rumored to knocking out shogun and getting the pit for free. im not saying its a true story i jsut heard a bout it on a sherdog forum i think its an interesting story tho hahaha.

i think rashad vs shogun would be a good matchup and i hope it happens and shogun knocks evans the fuck out. i think rashad and jardine are both cocky as fuck and i dont like either one of them.