UFC 117 Results LIVE

UFC 117 “Silva vs Sonnen” — LIVE Aug. 6th from the Oracle Arena in Oakland, CA. The Spider Anderson Silva will defend his UFC title against the wrestler Chael Sonnen. Also, Thiago Alves will get another shot at the bay areas own Jon Fitch. The winner will likely be next in line for a shot a the UFC welterweight title.

CageToday for live coverage of UFC 117 starting at 7pm EST.

MAIN CARD

PRELIMINARY CARD

Event Notes

• UFC Oakland drew 12,971 attendees for a live gate of $1.56 million.
  • Alves came in at 171.5, one half pound over the legal limit. He will be fined 20% of his fight purse and paid directly to Fitch.
  • Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen both earn 60k for fight of the night.
  • Anderson Silva and Matt Hughes both earn 60k for Submission of the Night.
  • Stefan Struve earned 60k for Knockout of the Night.

Comments

1. Anderson by destructive KO

Fitch by boring cage control

Almeida by TKO

Dos Santos by TKO, first round

Guida by decision, out worked

2. silva,alves,hughes,santos,guida

3. Dourakine says:

Thanks CagE !

Thanks from France.

4. Dourakine says:

ooops, read too quick !

so waiting for the real results.

5. Silva by sub in the 2nd or third

Fitch by sub in the third

Hughes by decision

Dos santos by ko/tko in the first

Guida by meth

6. 10inchWang says:

Salute Dourakine

Silva by murder

7. Damn it, Sonnen! Hats off. Get more cardio in the rematch.

8. Haha sonnen done what he said he'd do and still got beat he must feel gutted I guess it was karma for saying "Anderson Silva’s  black belt from the Nogueira brothers comes in a Brazilian Happy Meal at MacDonalds, one of the Nogueira brothers is a punching bag and the other one is irrelevant." In a way I'm glad he lost this way.

9. Admin got it a bit wrong. It was Clay who has won not Rafael Dos Anjos. Well it was announced a knockout but actually Rafael had a broken jaw and tapped out.

10. Can't believe it. Oh well, Sonnen will get to pound his face again for 5 rounds and hopefully win the next time.

11. Silva did not look from the get go. Was it the rib injury? or is silva on the decline?

12. Silva gets rocked? This was some weird shit were finding about silva. first Fedor goes out and now silva almost lost. what the fuck is happening?

13. All I can say is that right from the start Silva threw a knee with hesitation. I don't know if it was an injury or if he was nervous, but I've never seen him hesitate like that before.

Sonnen is really tough. He's a great wrestler like Fitch but he actually works and does damage, he doesn't lay on people. I'd like to see an immediate rematch.

14. I kinda blame Sonnen's cardio cause from the start, you could see him anticipating and avoiding Anderson's BJJ attempts. In the 5th round, however, he was obviously winded and seemed kinda lazy to watch out for attempts and focus 100% only on striking. But damn I'm still proud Sonnen showed up like that. No one gave him a chance.

15. That was a miracle that Siva got. I think he did come in with a injury

16. If you hate Sonnen and believe in karma I would be ecstatic. It's worse to beat up a guy for four and a half rounds and lose than to get caught in the first. Especially for a guy like that who is so competitive. But I want to see that rematch because I think Sonnen more than earned it.

17. Great fights all around. One of the best events ever. I wish Sonnen could have pulled it off. Great performance. I watched this event in a sports bar, and I was the only guy in there rooting for Sonnen. Isn't anyone else tired of seeing Silva toy with people? I know I want to see him out!

18. 10inchWang says:

WoW Anderson was lucky tonight. How about Hughes, puts out one of the best BJJ guys in the sport with a wrestling choke.

Fitch please retire, stop it with the boring ass wrestling matches.

Big Country took all the Junior had, much respect.

Wang Out

19. CobraClutch says:

You've got to hand it to Sonnen, despite all the childish, pathetic trash talk he fought great and gave Silva one of his best bouts. Of course now he becomes one more number on Silva's record and just like all the others will demand an immediate rematch.

I really hope Sonnen does the sport with honor and denounces all his trash he spoke of Anderson. He fought well, now let's see ow he handles defeat.

20. I thought Sonnen's trash talk was hilarious, he just overdid it. He doesn't have to do a 10 minute comedy routine at Fan Expo's. But he's entertaining. And he was pretty classy in the post fight press conference.

21. Great fight Sonnen earned alot of respect from fans as did nelson, would love to see what he could do if he doesnt run out of gas after 4 minutes, hughes has to get back in the title picture with another win or two. Guida is still a blast to watch. Don't think Dos Santos is going to be able to hang with Velazquez, Carwin, or Lesnar. And I will give you all 100 bucks a piece if Jon Fitch ever actually finishes a fight. Great card with a Silva fight for the first time in a few years.

22. Great Card in all and great fights. Silva proved why he is champion and what really intrigues me is if you looked at both of them after the fight you would think that Silva won by TKO they way Chaels face looked. Even though Sonnen landed an incredible 289-30 punches those 30 punches that Anderson Silva landed did REAL DAMAGE not to mention the kicks he threw. Cause besides being bruised up, Silva looked in pretty good shape in the face. Props to Sonnen but realisticly i thought there were times were the Ref should of stood them back up as it wasnt going anywhere, i know chael was staying busy but with the 5-10 constant delays in hand grappling you would think that the ref would stand them up…i thought that in itself was a little odd how they never stood them up even after some delays and the fact the fight was going no where as Sonnen really wasnt doing that much damage as Silva was controlling pretty good at times from the bottom. Sonnen took it to Silva like no one has in years but after all that trash talking it must suck to know you tapped out like a bitch after controlling the fight and with 1min 50 sec left….You have to give much respect to both fighters but Silva deserves to be champ after that performance he never gave up and just kept trying and waiting for an oppurtunity to slap on that Triangel with Arm Bar Choke. Its funny cause in the 3rd round i told my buddy that Chael is getting to confident and is going to forget about Silva's submissions and he will submit catch him wiht an arm bar…so i was half right…silva caught him with his guard down and snapped on the tightest triangel choke with an arm bar i have ever seen…chael tried to get out but got caught in the spiders web….End of Sonnes trash talk and end of his career after that heart breaking loss. Even though some believe sonnes deserves and immediate rematch…i do not as this was a decisive victory for Silva it wasnt like it was a decision win, there are hungry contenders awaiting and chael needs to fall back in line, now with that performance he would be no more than 2 wins away from another title shot.

Jon fitch is again BORING. Dos Santos couldnt put away Nelson and wont be able to hang with Lesnar or Carwin, he better hope Velasquez wins cause thats the only shot he has of winning the belt.

23. Not sure but based upon UFC stats my previous 289-30 stike comparision is inaccurate.

Chael landed 81 out of 289 stikes and Silva landed 29 out of 30 strikes.

24. CobraClutch says:

Making someone Tap out or Give Up as it really should be called is the most dominant manner of victory over an opponent. Sonnen proved he can go the distance, but admitted in his Tap Out that Silva is his better, he deserves a rematch eventually.

Hopefully the embarasement of giving up after so much bitch-talk will teach him a lesson about honoring one's opponent, but I doubt it. If at his age he does not understand it, then I think he never will.

25. what was up with Silva's strking? He got caught by sonnen. he didnt look fluid and laser sharp as usual. I have seen silva fight with high level kickboxers and he hung with them. what was up last night.

26. Aldo Raine says:

Jay I think he got caught on the stand up because he was worried about the takedown from Sonnen. I think this is why some wrestlers can develop a good striking game. I mean if you look at the Liddell vs Couture fight…..the first one. Couture was able to outstrike him because Liddell was more hesitant about throwing big punches for fear of getting taken down. I mean Chuck was obviously the better striker but because of the fear of Coutures take downs it opened up a lot holes in Liddells striking that Couture could take advantage of. I think Silva vs Sonnen was another one of these examples.

27. I agree Aldo Raine. But his mind wasnt right either. This is the first time we seen silva have a bad night. One thin for sure he wasnt 100% Anderson Silva. Even chael believed silva wasnt feeling right

28. great great card.

props to hughes. that was impressive.

after watching sonnen and silva, I'm totally convinced now that GSP could beat anderson. GSP in my opinion is a better wrestler than sonned and way too smart to get caught in a sub like that in this point of his career.

for me– gsp is p4p best.

29. there is obviously a size difference. Anderson would have a slight advantage. Silva is gonna improve on his mistakes and will come out better next time. GSP got caught by Serra and after that we seeing the best GSP. So dont judge Silva based on his performance last night. SHogun had condtioning isues he got tapped by forrest and he is force to be reckoned with now.

30. instead of bringing in steven seagal silva needs to bring in some world class wrestlers to train with.

31. he does train with world class wrestlers. Mark Munoz is a NCAA Division 1 wrestler and also won a championship. Cmon Corey

32. All my fighters won, but bot by the way i called it.

33. not*

34. P4P #1 Fan says:

Good fight…I definitely did not think that Sonnen would back up all of his talk and he sure did. I was disappointed in the controversy of him tapping or not. That was not classy. If you tap, then it is what it is. That is not the first time that this happened with Sonnen. He did the same thing in his match with Paulo Filho. That is not cool.

It was a real good card. As far as Dos Santos not being able to put away Nelson, Nelson is very underrated and has one of the best chins in MMA. I am not predicting that Dos Santos can beat Lesnar, Carwin, or Cain but I definitely believe that he belongs up there with them.

I hope that Fitch never has to fight Koz or that would put everyone to sleep. it would be a cuddle fest.