UFC 116: Akiyama Not Happy With Leben As Replacement, Threatens Pullout?

Sexyama is up in arms over the UFC’s decision to replace the injured Wanderlei Silva with Chris Leben,

“I am not pleased with the change. There are just ten days left until the contest for me to determine [Leben’s] threats and the time is insufficient to establish a tailored gameplan. Leben is also not as high-profile as [Wanderlei] Silva and that does not help me…

“If there is to be a replacement I was hoping for a big name … I spent one year preparing hard for this fight and this news has come as a big disappointment, my motivation has waned. I do not know yet what will happen. .. In the worst case, I will not take part in the [UFC 116] event. We are working hard to resolve this issue.” [Daum.net via FightersOnly]

Akiyama better get used to these changes. Fighters train at a higher level, increasing the frequency of these type of injuries.

While, Leben might not have as of an extensive record as Wanderlei Silva, he brings in a huge following of fans from appearance on TUF 1.

Comments

1. ironchris82 says:

what a fag..Like Leben has a gameplan already ?? Akiyama is just scared Leben is gonna blast him with a left and knock him out. Dana and the ufc will hate this guy if he pulls out.

2. Chris, you gotta understand that Akiyama, who is a HUGE name in Japan waited for a very long time to face the Axe Murderer, then to be replaced with a middle tier fighter like Leben, who is best known for cheating in his loss to Bisping is a great insult to Akiyama. They should have replaced him with a big name. The only people Leben has knocked out have been guys that never last long in the UFC.

Imagine if Werdum dropped out of the Fedor fight and they replaced him with Butterbean, Fedor and M1 would be unhappy too.

3. Good analogy. Terrible for Akiyama, Incredible for Leben, he can finally make a name for himself after years of doing nothing, although I doubt it will help too much. Leben has had five years since TUF to make himself into an all around fighter and has squandered that time. Look at Kos, Sanchez, Florian, Forrest, etc. They all filled in their games, while Leben has only been caught cheating with steroids. For Akiyama this is a gigantic insult.

4. ironchris82 says:

Reality is this guy doesn't even deserve Silva. He lost his fight to Belcher so a guy like Leben actually makes sense. decision to akiyama over belcher my ass.. But good points Trevor

5. Joe Rogan says:

That's right ironchris82!

Belcher totally won that fight!

Keep Drinking my koolAid!

6. Bad part about it guys is WHO in your honest opinion would take this fight that is a high profile name with this short of time? Let me answer that…..nobody. They should be happy that Leben took it and I am sure that he wasn't even the first person they called. Akiyama should take his chances and fight and wait for the Wand fight later. I'm sure if he wants to stay with the UFC he won't just pull out….that would be a bad idea in my opinion…..Dana has dumped others for less.

7. Wand In my opinion is not High profile anymore. He is past his prime and agreed in pride he was the shit. But between these 3 fighters Aikyama, leben, wand it doesnt matter who fights who

8. Akiyama won the blecher fight straight up he was in no trouble at al the hole fight

9. i never pull out…

10. gSP is a whore says:

You guys think that Leben is in the same class as Aki and Silva?

I want some of your weed!

11. Well the fact of the matter is that leban and wanderli are close to being identical in tactics but to be honest i dont know much about akiyama, so the question is which is more dangerous to him, leban's boxing (if you can call it that) or wanderli's clinch. No i'm not saying leban is anywhere near as good as wanderli even though he's past his prime but it should be an entertaining fight as long as it keeps standing if it goes to the ground this will be terrible. One more thing Akiyama has the advantage in the fact that leban and wanderli both like an aggresive stlye, i dont think that its if he's ready for leban its if leban is ready for him, but i doubt leban will be ready.

12. gSP is a whore says:

I agree with you 100% Leben has no ground skills whatsoever, his Jiu Jitsu is awful, his wrestling has not improved at all since TUF, his grappling let's him survive and occasionally get back on his feet.

I think Akiyama's camp is disappointed but will go through with it, and for Leben this is a Birthday wish come true and he's got a punchers chance.

13. Dana White says:

Sexi better fight or I am not bringing sexy back…get it? I am the boss and i give the orders.

14. Fuck Yo Couch! says:

this site is beyond stupid at this point for anything other than reading the news. look at the postings lately. pure shit and childish crap.

15. Tom Venner says:

I could not disagree more, look above at this thread, there was no BS, no baby arguments, just an MMA discussion regarding the Post, it's as it should be.

I guess you miss the boring fights between the kiddies.

16. AFRAIDOR MILLIONERKO says:

I think most of us who post year round notice a considerable drop in the overall caliber of posts from june to september. that having been said, if you can manage to not feed into the few immature jackholes whose focus has largely to do more with accusations of homosexuality and suspicious defenses from those,you can engage in some very well versed topic discussions.

17. AFRAIDOR you make a good point about the post qualities. so lets sift through the bullshit.

From what I've read Akiyayma will fight Leben.

But If He refused to fight I wouldn't have blamed him.

He wants to fight Wandy for his name. Leben is known in North America and England, Wandy is known all over the world.

Wandy might be old and tired but he's still a big name that puts butts in the seats. How many people are buying tickets to see Leben? I know I wouldn't

btw/ anyone who really thinks Aki lost to belcher…. I don't know, that just shocks me.

18. AFRAIDOR MILLIONERKO says:

Mos def, Re boot…beating WandI comes with a lot more accolades afterward, in his prime or not. Beat Leben and its simply what he was supposed to do…it definitely will not guarantee you get a bigger asking price for your next fight. Should Aki lose to Chris, he gets beat by what the world will no doubt view as a lesser fighter. For Leben its a no lose situation; lose to aguy you only had two weeks to prepare for and you still managed to come through in a pinch for the company and your boss. Win and you are back in the conversation again about top guys in the division…wouldn't blame Aki for pulling out, but I dont see it happening, not with a japanese fighter and their sense of honor, traditionally.

19. AFRAIDOR: Well put, that's spot on with

what I was thinking too.

20. All of that was already said in the first 12 posts, but thanks for the recap