UFC 108: Anderson Silva vs Vitor Belfort

anderson-silva-james-irvin-ufn14

Dana White told the LA Times

Ultimate Fighting Championship President Dana White told The Times his organization has struck verbal deals for Anderson Silva to defend his middleweight championship against Vitor Belfort on Jan. 2 in Las Vegas.

Fresh off his win dominate win over Rich Franklin at UFC 103, Vitor Belfort will get his chance at the UFC middleweight belt after just one fight into his UFC comeback.

For the latest on UFC 108, check out our UFC Rumors section.

Props: BloodyElbow

Comments

1. Doc Holiday says:

God Damn it. Not who I wanted Silva to fight. Vitor is going to get killed. He is quick at striking but with Silva it doesn't matter. I suppose he has a punchers chance but I don't see this fight being even close.

2. dane drebin says:

whatever doc holiday ur selling vitor short i mean anderson will be a huge favorite but he could catch silva. with vitors boxing skills and handspeed he has a good chance of beating anyone. i think anderson will and should win this fight but this is gunna be wat sicker than a hennderson or Marqaurdt rematch. vitor has looked amazing in his last few fights and im hoping he give3s anderson a good fight i will be rooting for him.

3. Oswald Gobblecock says:

Vitor is much more deserving than anybody else at MW as far as showing he'd have the best chance. Sure he's only 1 fight back into the UFC but it was a 1st round KO over Franklin. Something Hendo couldn't do. This is the best choice cause Dan and Nate both lost to Silva already so they should fight each other and to who gets the winner of Vitor and Silva. Then Silva's last figth should be against Machida considering Machida doesn't get beat which I doubt he will. I think Anderson is about the only guy who can beat him at this point.

4. i think anderson will win but i like the way alot of people r not giving vitor a chance, so just for those people who live in cloud 9 just compare how easy vitor finished rich compared to how anderson did, belfort is a beast i dont think this is gonna be an easy fight for anderson at all he's realy gonna have to fight hard and smart to beat vitor anyone who saw the the younger vitor knows how devastating he can be and now he is using his head aswell its scary

5. ANDERSON TKO FIRST RD

6. whatever happens I'm gonna pay to watch this one. can't wait.

7. dane drebin says:

i see where ur comming from doc holiday but silva has to defend his middle weight title if he doesnt wanna give it up and it would be lame to have him give it up and have a paper champion. vitor is the only person he hasnt beat and an opponent that is gunna put on a show win or lose. id watch this fight over silva/lutter silva/cote or silva leites any day. dont think silva will retire he just wants more money. he might go and fight roy jones jr but after that he will resign with the ufc. everybody has a number. dana will offer him tons of money and he will fight. just like rampage will fight again too.

8. Ok this is good because now Marquart and hendo can challenge each other. The problem is Anderson Is a master of striking and timing and he rarely gets tagged. What is Vitor gonna do rush in like a mad man with his quick hands speed. Anderson Will Pick him apart. He will frustrate him and eventaully Vitor will break mentally.

9. I believe this will be a good fight but anderson will tko vitor in the third rd, vitor a good fighter but not ready for anderson yet, he should of fought a couple more fights.

10. Shogun of Harlem says:

that pic of Silva cracks me up

11. a certain, recently moaning guy named dan henderson is going to be super choked at this announcement. even though everyone already knew that he’d have to go through marquardt to get at silva again, with all that noise he was making hes sure to be pissed.

12. Doc Holiday says:

@dane drebin – Dont get me wrong I do believe Vitor is worthy of a title shot. As far as I’m concerned there is a three way tie for #1 contendership. Vitor just happened to win at the right time and hasn’t fought anyone yet. Vitor has amazing hand speed and once he hits his target he launches about 5 more shots. Silva however in all his fights in the UFC thus far have just made other strikers look stupid. I mean I expected Forrest to have a good fight but Forrest just looked like he was new to the sport. Dan Henderson can strike with anyone and he looked stupid on his feet. (luckly he was able to use his wrestling). However what I’m getting to is Silva has limited fights left on his contract. I want to see him fight the best and absolute craziest matches they can put him in to test how good this guy really is. He is a once and a lifetime fighter in my opinion. I think he is in a class of his own. He is always wanting to fight the top ranked competition and is fighting even a weightclass above him and wants to even fight heavyweight. So I would love to see him fight heavyweight. He wants Frank Mir….I would like to see how that turns out. Even people at 205 like Couture or Rashad. So many amazing fights. Not that Vitor vs Silva isn’t a good fight but I think there are so many other fights out there were Silva wont be such a favorite. If Vitor strikes with Silva I think it will be over quick. There have been a lot of what if with Silva’s fights. What if Henderson hits him with the overhand right….What if Forrest is in his face the whole time…What if James Irvin pulls off a quick KO. Nobody has even come close to hurting him or even really punched him in the standup. I just dont think Vitor can win this fight and I think since people like Silva are so rare they should test him more.

13. Silva better watch out..i think Vitor has the best changes out of Nate and Dan to beat Anderson and They ad there changes and they both last.. i think vitor could win this fight for sure

14. this should be an interesting fight.. vitor so fast but silva is such an unorthodox fighter.. i wouldn't sell vitor short if i were silva..

15. This sucks…I was wanting my boy Hendo to fight Anderson next. Oh well, this should be an exciting fight. I'm really hopin Vitor knocks Anderson TFO. But I think Anderson will have enough for Vitor to be able to come away with the W.

16. tom your the same guy that said forrest was big and strong and Silva was gonna have trouble against him. Not just you some other people were also roting for forrest saying he is big and he walks around 240lbs and all that other crap. Look Vitor is like a Cheetah He goes crazy for about a minute than he loses it. Silva Is the master of timing along with machida. Vitor will go down

17. Oswald Gobblecock says:

IDK Steve, I think Vitor is gonna be as ready for Silva as he ever could be. That 1st round KO over Franklin was pretty impressive and he has the experience. I also agree Tom that Vitor has a better shot against Silva than Dan or Nate… plus he hasn't already lost to him so it's something new for the fans.

18. Ok lets get on the Vitor bandwagon just like we did for: forrest, Leitus, Cote, irvin, Hendo, marquart. I cant believe Frank Mir said that Thalais Leitus was gonna beat Anderson. I'm glad he got his ass whooped by Brock.

19. Oswald Gobblecock says:

Who ever got on the Leitus or Cote bandwagon? lol

20. Frank Mir got Leitus bandwagon saying that he is world class on the ground and lots of other people thought that he was gonna submit Silva because he has sick BJJ skills

21. And a lot of people thought OY YEAH PATRICK COTE HAS A MAGIC RIGHT HAND AND HIS RIGHT HAND WILL PUT ANYONE TO SLEEP

22. At this point in Silva's career, I don't think that there is a fighter in middleweight or light heavyweight division (except Machida) that is on his level.

I think it is a good move of UFC and smart matchup, because if someone can beat Anderson, that are guys like Belfort (quick hands) and Maya (sick ground game)…

23. haha here we go again with Jay's mouth on Anderson's cock

But Anderson takes this – hopefully Belfort tags him a few times tho

24. I don't see this fight going on very long. I don't think Vitor is the answer for Silva. My prediction is Silva round 1 KO. Also I think Silva will make Vitor look stupid in the standup.

25. no doubt

26. Oswald Gobblecock says:

Right, Cote has a magic right hand that would put Silva to sleep even though lots of his fights go to decisions. lol Also, Mir's a dumbass… just listening to him before the Lesnar rematch let us all know this. I agree Bojan, Machida is about the only fighter on Silva's level. Al, you jealous of where Jay's mouth is? I am! LMAO jk

27. You guys dont give credit to Silva thats why maybe I'm on his nuts right? evertime he fights someone you guys think that guy is gonna beat him right? Forrest, Leitus, hendo, IRVIN!! and guess what and now Vitor! well evertime Silva proves all the critics wrong by dismantling his opponents

28. This will not go back the 2 round for sure..someone is going to get knock out..Who ever makes the first mistake the other will hope all over it

29. *pass not back

30. Isnt Vitor the guy that got rocked by Sorry ass Lidell and got beat by a wrestler named randy couture. And dont give me all that crap that his mind wasnt right his sister was missing he had problems with his old lady. a real champion does not make excuses. Do you ever see Silva or Machida or Fedor complaiing about personal problems.

31. Anderson Silva will tko vitor no questions ask, bring on a heavyweight.

32. Oh Vitor had trouble making 195 he will probably drain himself making 185. Silva cuts weight like easily and has no problem

33. There is no way on God's green earth, in the Heavens, Hell, or the entire Universe that Belfort wins this fight.

Now, go enjoy your weekends, gentlemen.

34. thanks Joe smith now you have silenced the critics

35. personally i think nate m shud of got anderson silva and belfort shud of got henderson with the winner of that match up fighting the winner of silva and nate m. I wud like to see belfort finish henderson

36. How many more fights does anderson silva have on his contract. Not to take anything away from vitor but I think he only got the title shot because it will sell more than a rematch with either dan henderson or nate marquardt

37. dane drebin says:

lol jay ur so dumb if ur gunna hold loses over vitor to champions who were in their prime like chuck and randy then what about when anderson was getting subbed by japanese cans in pride u tool.

And for the 100th time nobody thought forest was gunna beat anderson everyone was just rooting for him because he was the under dog and is one of the classiest and nicest people in the ufc. Fuck i swear u post like u have a touch of down syndrome or something.

38. Never count a fighter out but Belfort has little chance to beat Silva if Silva comes into this fight completely on his game and focused. which he will since he has never faced him before. I wouldnt be surprised if Belfort comes in 2 pounds to heavy in this one as well, which would make it a non title fight.

39. dane drebin says:

it was hard for belfort to make weight but he made it the second time and belfort made 185 the two fights before in affliction i would be very surprised if he didnt make weight for a title fight against anderson silva come on now.

40. Dane listen when Silva was gonna fight hendo even hard core mma fans said that hendo would win and when i told them silva would outclass hendo they thought I was dumb like you mentioned. And look what happened. Now I was bitching about Anderson beating forrest and everybody thought it was gonna be one great fight but it ended very quick and forrest got outclassed. And now i'm telling you again that Silva will outcalss VITOR for sure. Than you can say whatever you want about me. because I know that you and other people are still thinking Vitor can beat Siva because he has great hand speed. he coudnt beat hendo with his great hand speed.

41. Its a UFC title shot he will make weight. Unless your Travis Lutter your going to make weight.

In Jay's defense there were a lot of people on this site I remember that said Griffin was going to win because he was bigger and he was going to push the fight.

42. rory, why would you like to see Vitor finish Hendo??? Do you hate Hendo or something??? FYI nobody has ever finished Hendo by punches and besides that Hendo and Vitor have already fought a couple years in Pride and Hendo dominated him in that fight. If they fought again, it would be the same outcome…Dan dominating Vitor…And Nate would have got killed by Anderson if they fought again. Hendo and Vitor have a better chance to beat Silva than Marquardt would. I was hopin for Dan to get the title shot at Silva. Now since thats not a possibility I want the Hendo/ Marquardt fight to go down, so Dan can knock him out.

43. I wasn't one of them that said Forrest would beat Anderson. I said I wanted Forrest to win but said Silva would win by TKO.

Vitor has a chance to beat Silva and personally I hope he does. It's a fight, anything can happen. But i'm still picking Anderson to come away to the win.

44. Zach Silva Did hurt Hendo By a Knee or Punch I think. Dan Did get rocked bY silva. Dan himself even said that he got rocked and thats why he decided to go to the ground because he knew if he kept standing he would get knocked out. To beat a world class fighter in Dan hendersen. Hendo was never dominated like that. Bottom line SILVA IS FOR REAL. and some of you guys still dont get it.

45. People always say one fighter has a chance to win but the other will win to cover their ass so they dont look stupid picking a losing fighter suck it up and pick one fighter to win instead of the vitor has a fighting chance shit but anderson will probally win. ANDERSON SILVA TKO 2 RD!

46. Yeah, he did get a little stunned and went for a takedown and Silva sprawled and went into Hendo's guard but it was still a mintue after before he got choke. There's a reason Hendo's never been finished by punches. He got a great chin and when he does get caught on the button hard he's able keep is composure, by going for a takedown. He's taken monster blows from Wandy and Rampage. And JMO but I think Rampage hits harder than your boy Silva.

But you're right nobody has dominated Hendo like that, but he also said after that fight that he was gassed after the 1st rd and felt like he didn't lay it all out there. But, i'm not saying Anderson isn't for real and never did. I think he's one of the best fighter out there.

47. steve, I said Anderson would win. Jesss, what did you not understand? Vitor does have a shot to win. Like I said before, it's a fight anything can happen. And i'm not covering my ass. I clearly said Anderson would win. How would I look stupid, I never picked Vitor too win.

48. rashad vs thiago silva also likely for 108

49. rashad and anderson by ko at 108

50. There are a lot of people on here that are saying Vitor has a chance to win but I think Silva will win. Well no shit anyone has a chance. You could put Tank Abbott against him……Does he have a chance to win….yea he has a punchers chance. Will he win….no. Vitor has not impressed me with his stand up. Is his stand up good? Yea of course. When your fighting Silva it doesn't matter because he makes everyone look stupid in the standup. I doubt Vitor is going to change that.

As far as making excuses for Hendo. The reason he has never been KO'd is because he fell down in the Silva fight. Had he not fallen down from a Silva punch he would have been KO'd. Hendo is an amazing fighter and great chin but if Silva would have let him up again it would have been lights out. I think Hendo has a better shot at beating Silva than Vitor. However I think Hendo would get destroyed second time around and I think Vitor will get murdered. Being that said out of all the middleweights I like Vitor vs Silva best just because the rest of the matches would be rematches. I'd rather see Silva bump up to 205 or heavyweight better though. I want to see how good this guy really is.