Tim Sylvia Upset That Brock Lesnar Gets Paid

tim sylvia

In a recent comment on the Tim Sylvia forum, former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia makes a statement about fighter pay for veteran UFC fighters.

“i have one fight left on my contract i want to stay with the ufc but i am going to go were the money is right now Brock is making more m0ney then me that has to change i have a better name then him and i am a better fighter then him, i case u didn’t know my manager runs m1 so i have a pretty good in so we will see what happens in the next few months. [Icon Cheesygrin] “

Love him or hate him Tim Sylvia has a point, the UFC is making a big mistake bringing in all these outside fighters and not paying the UFC veterans comparably.

Brock Lesnar basically made as much as the highest paid UFC fighter (Chuck Liddell) on his second ever MMA bout.

Comments

1. i can't blame him for complaining he been with the ufc for years and been the champ than some one with one fight gets paid more than you.i know brock is a big name and brings in fans but it would still piss someone off thats been there and been the champ.i have never been a tim sylvia fan and i thought he was overrated but he did almost take out nog and if he would have won that would put him up there on the rankings.

2. Yup, he has a point. But he should know by now that you get paid based on a lot more than just your record or how long you've been with the UFC. Thats how it is right now. Even in boxing De La Hoya and Roy Jones Jr. are the ones getting paid out of this world money but they aren't the best fighters anymore.

3. Where is Tim Sylvia going to go. UFC has bought Pride then shut it down. Bought WFA then shut it down. Bought WEC and others. They ban Randy's clothing line. They control all the commissions. They hired Marc Ratner to establish commissions in other states. That is his job. Why do you think MMA has not been approved in New York or Montreal Canada yet. They are waiting till they get in more in control of the sport and merchandise before other states or countries open up for the sport. The fighters and fans have to boycott everything the ufc owns and controls and anyone that sells its product. They have to boycott Tap Out, Xience, Throwdown, WEC and all the other companies they own or have an interest in. This is the only way the fighters are going to get the pay and treatment they deserve. There needs to be a fighters union. Stop supporting this out of control organization. Bring back the real pride fc.

4. there needs to be a unioun or something thsat can help fighters out…the UFC is the stingest sports orginaztion in the whole world!!

5. Isn't this the unfortunate way of the world? He signed a contract that he now has to honor. When that contract is up he should then ask for much more money. His fights are boring anyway so its not like he is worth a lot to the org. In general yes the majority of UFC fighters are underpaid.

6. i dislike tim sylvia, but the jolly green giant is right! htf is lesnar getting paid $250K for LOSING?? even frank mir only got paid $80K for winning. its blatantly ridiculous. i would be happy to see sylvia sign with m1. then he can fight against fedor so i can see a nice fedor arm bar.

7. his manager runs M1…thats a no brainer in my opinion. he isn't well liked in the ufc so he should bounce to M1 where he will get more respect.

8. I agree with Kom34. I know it's just the nature of the business, but I think the UFC made a mistake paying Brock (and some others) so much money.

9. Brock and Kimbo are gold mines, win or lose. I think the UFC is paying Brock just right. They offered CroCop and Fedor a whole lot more than that. Lesnar will bring in as much buys as CroCop for sure, maybe more. Tim needs to get a bigger fan base and demand more money. If he was the champ he could ask for anything he wanted because they couldn't lose another champ so soon. My problem is not what Brock is getting paid, its what the undercard fighters are getting paid. Especially is they can dish out 65 thousand dollar bonuses, why can't they pay some fighters more than 3 grand…its just doesnt make sense.

10. your right moreywhat i would like to see is more ufn events on a weekly basis where fighters move up the rankings and make decent money but the lower level and the ppv be 5 top huge fights with people being paid according to opening bout to main event all good money though.

11. Brock Lesnar was the main reason that PPV sold. Tim is a boring fighter and hated by most fans so in that aspect I see why he got paid more.

12. Jun Da Silva says:

Kazja, I like the why you think brother, I've been saying the same stuff you are, I'm tired of the UFC, damn the day they bought Pride I knew MMA wouldn't be the same and it hasn't. Who the hell said Brock was the only reason they sold out, BULLSHIT, I don't think so, try Nogueira, Sylvia, and Frank Mir, if you want to see Brock sell out a show go watch the WWE. I never like the WWE because it's so FAKE, the UFC better stop bringing idiots like Brock that know nada about MMA. How dare they pay this actor more than some of these guys that sweat blood for the UFC unfuckenbelievable but what do you expect from the UFC. Well I guess we have to realize that a an organizational enterprise in now running the UFC and there's not to much we can do, we can try but it's going to take the fans and the UFC fighters to open their eyes and leave the UFC ans go else where.

13. Jun da silva, Well spoken. We need to bring back pride and boycott the ufc and its other companies. This might save this great sport we love so much.

14. Good Leave!

15. Brock also brought in alot of PPV buy and thats just a fact all the Bars here in MN where packed to max capacity. Sylvia cant sell a show to save his life no one likes him not even his own team hell Pat stayed away from his corner this fight and Id bet it happens alot more. The only reason Sylvia keeps getting title shot after title shot is cause he swallows hes a boring fight to watch.

16. You may not like Brock and he did lose. If you look at the bigger picture and give him at least a year. if not sooner, i don't see anyone in UFC right now that would be able to take him.

17. i think in a rematch, mir would still win.

18. dont hate on any person, or organization for acting like any other corporation. they need to make money and lots of it. think about how many WWE fans transitioned to UFC because of brock. that is why he got paid what he did. they certainly arent hating on tim sylvia. this is also why some baseball players get a ton of cash over others, the amount of money they generate.

want to whine, do it about gas prices. or better yet, buy some stock in mobil and make some money, you wont say shit about it then.

19. Say what you will, but UFC is starting to get competition, good competition thats not locked out to ppv. As the industry starts to become watered down and fans get upset for paying $50-75 for a 20 second fight where the only one who make out past UFC was the loser. As the fan base increases to MMA, competition will be the only thing that changes UFC. Bring on EliteXC on Showtime…I love it, and I don't care what anyone else says about it.

20. That Elite show a couple of nights ago was both free and really good. I wish the UFC events were cheaper too because dropping $50 twice a month adds up on you. I can't believe boxing events are still 50 or 60 a show when the really don't have the name fighters they used to have. It seems like M1 is banking too much and Fedor and they should sign some more talent.

21. Jun Da Silva says:

WELL I KNOW ILL NEVER WIN WITH ALL YOU #####, SINCE NONE OF YOU'S KNOW SHIT ABOUT MMA AND ARE ALL BASICALLY WWE FANS RIDING BROCKS GENETALIA JUST BECAUSE HES BIG DOESN'T MEAN SHIT HES GONNA KEEP GETTING HIS ASS KICKED, TRUST ME.

22. TYPING IN ALL CAPS = KNOWLEDGE OF MIXED MARTIAL ARTS OBVIOUSLY.

You type like a moron. You're an idiot if you don't think Lesnar brought in fans to that show, the barrier between MMA and "Pro wrestiling" is pretty low. The target markets of both the UFC and the WWE are the exact same demographic group. I'm willing to bet the only things you know about anything related to MMA is what you read and what you watch, hell, you probably think Goldberg and Rogan know what the hell they're talking about. Also, I'm not sure I've seen Lesnar get his "ass kicked" yet, he got submitted, don't think he took any punishment aside from that… at all. I'm not even a Lesnar fan, but you're an idiot for not trying to take an objective look at this.

That said, Lesnar has potential, that's it at this point… potential. Lesnar needs to learn the ins and outs of the styles he's up against, if he's going to try to steamroll people with his size and strength offensively, then he at least has to learn how to defend himself against an opponent who'll be looking for the "out" against him, that "out" being finding a way to avoid standing with him or getting gnp'd. The Mir fight was a perfect example of this. Lesnar has a shot, he's athletic, has a good wrestling background, and he's obscenely strong/huge, he needs to learn the art and I think he is going to try to do that.

23. Patrick, dare I say that Lesnar was even winning the fight until Mir subbed him?

I don't think his "ass" was "kicked" in the slightest either.

24. Well, I'll say Lesnar was in control of the fight in those first 90 seconds, however… the beauty in MMA is that it can swing just that fast, it's a chess match, one wrong move can cost you the whole game.

25. Lesnar was too impatient and excited. Thats why experience is important, you don't rush to finish and end up getting caught. I had an idea of what to expect from Lesnar and he exceeded that. He needs a few more fights to learn to be calm in the ring and let his preparation take its course during the fight. Its too bad he threw himself in the HW mix already because he probably won't have any more than one tune up fight.

26. Realwun, although i agree with that somewhat, I believe that Lesnar did the smart think to act as quick as he did all because of experience, I think he knew that if he let Mir get time to plan and execute that he could set himself up in a position where he could win. By trying to take him out as fast as possible, he was neutralizing Mir's experience and his mind

27. dane drebin says:

imo if he dropped elbows on mir instead of hammer fists the fitgh would have been over in the first 30 seconds

28. So it looks like those of us who can form intelligent arguments can objectively see where Lesnar has potential.

Those few people… (Jun Da Silva) who type in all caps and look like fools just immediately write the guy off.

I think I'll stick with the "he has potential" group, thanks.

29. If Tim wants to leave, then show him the door. Remind him of the term 'business' on the way out.

30. Jun Da Silva says:

Hey Patrick don't worry abut how I type, are you an "English Professor" or something you might be because you don't know shit about MMA and this site isn't about how well your writing skills are or how well one can write an article. I think that G-string is riding up your stank crotch a little too tight, so take your fancy pants ass to the WWE.com where you can see some fake wrestling.

Brock is the Sapp of MMA, yeah Sapp can't fight but he sure is funny to look at, just like the half time show enough time to go take a piss and get an other beer. Brock is just some big dumb goofy guy to make us laugh "Bring in the clowns."

Jackson or Nogueira would kill this idiot, that if he (Brock) didn't shit in his yellow speedos first. Maybe he could jump off the octagon onto the concrete floor head first and do us all a favor and you can follow.

31. Gentlemen we all know Brock Lesnar may not have the skills Frank has or 99% of any mma fighter. That man is going to learn from the mistake he made. It is a real shame that there will never be a "True Champ" of the MMA world as long as the Danas of the world exploit the fighters with contracts and give any Johnny come lately with a following or a 1-0-0 UFC record get a shot at Championship Belt. Recycling UFC Champs that when they loose to regain that title fight they climb no hill and get title fights soon after.that are under contract to UFC and can only fight UFC fights. With that said I'm not knocking any of the fighters of the UFC,WWE or any outher group, but I think Brock is going to the top of Dana's fight show.

32. i would still like to see kimbo vs lesnar. ufc and elitexc, make it happen!

33. Jun Da Silva says:

J. Nolan, very well spoken my friend. You are among the few who know the reality about MMA and Dana's wanna be mafia tactics on it's fighters. It seems everyone is jumping on the UFC bandwagon but the only thing is there all from the WWE and don't know crap about MMA and are making a circus out of MMA thanks to Dana of course.

Dana has managed to piss off many of the fighters in the UFC and the only other organization where they can go and make a difference is K-1. I hope they can make that change, MMA needs a choice besides only having the UFC. The UFC bought, shot and killed PRIDE and we have been forced to watch the UFC, this is 2008 we live in a democracy why should we be forced to only watch one big name and other mediocre organizations. Fedor and K-1 might just be the solution we need to fufill our MMA viewing needs.

Derek, nope it's not gonna happen Dana didn't let Fedor and Randy fight in the UFC and he's not going to let Brock fight elsewhere and Elitexc isn't dumb enough to pay Brock $200,000 and Brock isn't dumb enough to get his ass kicked by Kimbo. Trust me Brock doesn't want to be in the same ring with Kimbo. I've always been right in my predictions and I'm certain about this one.

34. I don't mind the WWE fans that come over and suport Brock at all. When I first saw an MMA match I didn't know anything and I was bored when they took it to the ground, but I still enjoyed it. I enjoyed it so much I wanted to learn more and more. I think the some of those fans will do the same and want to learn and appreciate the sport.

I think we have learned what Dana is all about. He is about business and marketing. Is that good for the sport? Yes and no. Yes in that he did help expand the awareness and appreciation of MMA. No in the fact that he is exploiting the sport for profit and at the expense of fighters and fans.

35. Yea he can complain all he wants, but I think Brock getting the big pay check paid off (no pun intended) for the UFC b/c it was the 5th most successful ppv in their history money wise… I think that speaks for itself, and to believe that Sylvia was the reason for the high ppv buy rate is rediculous, I was at a bar and everyone left once Brock's match was over

36. Jun Da Silva says:

Realwun, Yeah the UFC might take some credit but not all, PRIDE had much more to do with it than the UFC. The fighters were much more content in PRIDE. Dana's a cheap bastard doesn't know how to treat his fighters.

Is it about Brock former WWE has been or is it about bringing the best fighters with the best MMA skills to the mat, well it's about bringing a name over just to make a nickel, so what if this guy doesn't know crap about MMA maybe just jumping off the turnbuckle onto a fake table is enough. It looks like he's just the white Don King of MMA, he doesn't care about the sport he just wants to control it. Let's bring The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin or Hulk Hogan and The Undertaker these guys don't know shit about MMA either but they have the name. Don't worry if there's a penny to be made Dana's there and who cares about sport and the fighters who have fought for it.

37. You're forgetting that Brock is an incredible athlete. He lost that fight but it didn't discredit him as a potential competitor. Just look at what he did to Mirs face in the course of a minute. I don't care where they get the fighters or their background, just as long as they have skill or potential. Jun, what would you have told Chuck Liddell when he first started fighting? He was a wrestler with a degree in accounting. Would you have been able to tell that he would eventually be one of the greatest strikers in MMA history?

38. the only thing i don't like about it is people like dana bashing kimbo and hung man choi calling it a circus act or freak show when he is doing the same thing.yes lesnar has wrestling creds but choi had kickboxing creds,lesnar is marketable and choi is in japan.the fact is choi lasted longer with one of the best h.w.'s in the world and lesnar could not last more than 90 seconds with a mid level fighter.lesnar deserves the money cause he does bring in buyers but i don't blame true mma fighters for being mad about it either.lesnar does have potential but has a lot to prove still.

39. Jun, Brock has been training MMA for 2 years he hasnt just stopped pro wrestling and jumped in he worked to become a mixed martial artist, maybe he isnt there yet but his name alone brings in outside fans which is what UFC needs to generate more money to put on more shows. Do i think he got paid too much? maybe so but without him on the card would it have attracted the ppv buys that it did? i dont think so. This is a buissness and Dana and zuffa will not be able to make the money and the interest they want if they only have the 'hardcore' fans.

40. Let's be realistic,

This is a business, UFC is a product!!

Brock Lesnar has a fan base and incredible charisma. His fight was one of the most exciting fights in UFC!! Brock Lesnar has the capable of bringing several fans to watch the UFC product!!! So he deserves the money he gets!! Brock's skills are still raw but he has a world class wrestling background NCAA champion and has the potetial to win any championship!!!

Tim Sylvia has no fan base!!! He fights are incredible boring!! I have been to bars were people have left during his fight!! From a business perspective that sucks!!! Plus people were happy when he lost to Randy!! Tim is top level fighter but he has that X-PAC heat which is not a good thing!!

41. dane drebin says:

JUN…

the fact that u think kimbo slice a man with little to no ground game background would beat brock lesnar… a man who is a world class amateur wrestler and outweight kimbo by 60 pounds, shows how entirely stupid u are about mma. i think it's hilarious how u rant and rave about how nobody knows anythign about mma but u make such outlandish claims like u do. lesnar is 10x the athlete kimbo is. kimbo couldnt hold his jock. the day kimbo beats anyone with a winning record let me know. brock is 1-1 right now but trust me… he will beat a lot better opponents than kimbo when its all said and done. you are a fuckin idiot man. like seriously the ufc wouldnt bring in stone cold or tripple h. the only two they would bring in is brock or kurt angle which is fine in both cases because they are world class wrestlers! get over urself

YOUR IGNORANT

42. I watched Pro Wrestling back in the day and Brock really went there to make money and left pretty quick because he didn't like it. He was attracted by the WWE because he is a physical freak. He even made it to the Minnesota Viking practice squad as a LB with no experience, thats how physically talented he is. I think Kimbo can be a good fighter but I think that Brock can be the next big thing. I have no problem with either of those guys being popular because they represent a lot of potential.

43. Brock was a NCAA champion wrestler, Tim just has a big head, ugly side burns and a fat gut.

44. I stand corrected. I didn't think this fight would turn out the way it did at all. Brock really impressed me. He could possibly dominate this weight class. Anyone think Couture got re-interested in the UFC?

45. Some of the fighters don't understand that they're part of the entertainment industy. You get paid based on how much money you bring in, plain and simple.

There has never been "FAIR" pay in any sport, you get paid what your agent can pull in for you. Brock Lesnar got the exact amount he deserved.

46. Thing is … LOTS of people are willing to pay to see Brock fight , where as no one is willing to pay to see Tim fight. To me, Tim is irrelevent … I don't care how long he's been with the UFC … I don't like him and don't want to see him fight.

47. lets put them in fight too settle this brock will kick his ass

48. Who even cares about a division void of any real talent or depth.

49. brock will kill tim

50. That would be as boring as the Couture vs Sylvia fight only without being able to root for Couture lol. All Brock would do is take him down and lay on him. Boring. But the more it was on the feet the more brock would be in trouble. Tim would put Lesnar to sleep if they were to stand and trade but unfortunetly Brock isnt gonna stand with anyone who has a good stand game with some power.