Strikeforce Signs Josh Barnett

Two-time champion and top world-ranked heavyweight superstar Josh “The Babyfaced Assassin” Barnett has signed a multi-fight agreement to compete for world championship Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) promotion STRIKEFORCE.

“STRIKEFORCE is the home of the best heavyweight division in the world and I’m proud to be able to call it my home now,” said the 32-year-old Barnett (29-5), an expert in catch wrestling who hails from Seattle, Wash.


“I’m looking forward to competing amongst the greatest fighters in the world and fighting my way to another world title.”

The 6-foot-3, 255-pound Barnett became the youngest UFC champion in history at age 24 when he scored a second-round TKO (4:35) on MMA legend Randy “The Natural” Couture in Las Vegas, Nev., on March 22, 2002. In his sixth career fight, Barnett submitted wrestling and MMA legend Dan “The Beast” Severn with an armbar in the fourth round (1:21) in Hawaii.

In addition to his achievements in America, Barnett has spent a good portion of his career competing in top tier promotions overseas, including the now defunct PRIDE Fighting Championships in Japan where he notched memorable victories over the likes of Aleksander Emelianenko, Mark Hunt and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. On Oct. 21, 2006, Barnett took part in PRIDE’s first event on U.S. soil, submitting Pawel Nastula with a toe hold in the second round (3:04) at Las Vegas’s Thomas & Mack Center.

In 2008, Barnett competed in another Japanese promotion, Sengoku. After submitting (heel hook) Hidehiko Yoshida in Tokyo on March 5, 2008, Barnett returned to action on May 18, 2008, and earned a unanimous decision over top-ranked rival and fellow American Jeff “The Snowman” Monson.

Barnett signed an agreement to compete in Japan’s DREAM promotion earlier this year. Last March 22, he made his debut with the organization, submitting former K-1 tournament champion and devastating power puncher, “Mighty Mo” Siligia, with a kimura at 4:41 of the first round.

On July 10, Barnett followed up the strong showing with a first-round TKO (punches) over Geronimo dos Santos in the main event of a fight card in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.

Comments

  1. Its about time!

  2. Can't wait to see him fight again.

  3. CobraClutch says:

    Excellent!

    A good move by StrikeForce.

    I'd like to see Overeem, Hendo, or Fedor vs Barnett

    Cage Today should find out what SF paid for him.

    This is a sure sign that StrikeForce is still trying to build a serious leauge, and now their HW Division can laud three serious top notch Fighters, as good as the UFC…may be better?

    Although word is that Overeem wants to get to the UFC.

  4. other derek says:

    i wonder how much strikefrarce paid him to say "the best heavyweight division in the world'' lol

  5. Sooooo is strikeforce gonna be like Dream West, where they just run out fighters and ignore doping probs? Barnett is EASILY one of the worst offenders…and not just in the waaay back. RECENTLY! He liked helped END another agency! Good luck w/ all that.

  6. Im with MW55. maybe dana paid him to come here to "fight" fedor again. what a joke this guy is.

Speak Your Mind

*


2 + = four

Read previous post:
Cro Cop Plans On Shutting Up Frank Mir At UFC 119
Cro Cop Plans On Shutting Up Frank Mir At UFC 119

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADpZRV9nVbQ

Close