Strikeforce “Nashville” Results Live

Strikeforce invades CBS for the second time with Strikeforce “Nashville” on April 17th from the Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tennessee. Three title are on the line. First Jake Shields takes on Dan “Hendo” Henderson for the Strikeforce middleweight belt, Gegard Mousasi will defend his light heavyweight belt against “King Mo” Muhammed Lawal and Gilbert Melendez will defend his belt against top Japanese MMA fighter Shinya Aoki.

The event airs live on CBS at 9pm EST.

MAIN CARD

PRELIMINARY CARD

• Jason “Mayhem” Miller (185) vs. Tim Stout (186)
    Result: Jason “Mayhem” Miller defeats Tim Stout via TKO (Strikes) at 3:09 of R1.
  • Chris Hawk (205.8) vs. Ovince St. Preux (205.5)
    Result: Ovince St. Preaux defeats Chris Hawk via TKO (Strikes) at 0:47 of R1.
  • Andrew Uhrich (171.5) vs. Dustin West (169.5)
    Result: Andrew Uhrich defeats Dustin West via Submission (Rear Naked Choke) at 1:36 of R1.

• Josh Schockman (205.3) vs. Cale Yarbrough (203.8)
    Result: Cale Yarbrough defeats Josh Schockman via TKO (Strikes) in R2.

• Zach Underwood (179.5) vs. Hunter Worsham (180.5)
    Result: Zach Underwood defeats Hunter Worsham via Unanimous Decision.
  • Dustin Ortiz (125) vs. Justin Pennington (124.25)
    Result: Dustin Ortiz defeats Justin Pennington via Submission (Rear Naked Choke) at 4:27 of R1.

• Thomas Campbell (145.8) vs. Cody Floyd (145.3)
    Result: Cody Floyd defeats Thomas Campbell via KO (Strikes) in R3.

Comments

1. CobraClutch says:

Hendo, Aoki, Mousasi

2. Hendo, Melendez, Mousasi

That's what I'm hoping for but I have a bad feeling about Hendo getting sub'ed by Shields early – I hope I'm wrong about that one. I think Aoki will get ko'ed during a leg hump, and I can't freakin' wait to see Mousasi and Lawal. What a great card!

3. Bryce3333 says:

I want to see king take personally

4. hendo

shinya

king mo

5. Hendo, Melendez and Mousasi

6. Mousasi's takedown defense was sad.

7. well that was about the biggest fuckin waste of 2 and half hours of my life.

8. Oswald Gobblecock says:

Nothing but underdogs winning by decision. Hendo looks like he's finally hit his Chuck years. I knew Mousasi was over rated and King Mo was under rated. Also never believed Aoki was the #2 LW. Ken Flo would beat him and Melendez may have beating him but he still couldn't beat BJ like Frankie did. The ranks will be interesting to see next week.

9. Oswald Gobblecock says:

Wow, did you see the trashy Diaz brothers jump Mayhem and help set MMA back being on prime time TV? Fucking classless.

10. Choker555 says:

Mayhem's an asshole and got what he deserved. King Mo sucks and would get killed by any of the better UFC fighters. Mousasi should set his alarm earlier so he's awake in the fight. Melendez would get killed by Penn or Ken Flo. Shields was impressive. And CobraClutch should stay away from betting.

11. and the diaz brothers prove once again that they should be castrated so as not to further shallow the gene pool in california. great show pro elite. i mean strike.. ah fuck it who cares

12. put bellator on tv at least those are fights worth watching

13. I totally agree SteveO

No doubt Mayhem shouldn't have walked in on shields, that was a dick move…. but those Caesar Gracie guys man….

I hate that camp, how many of those assholes rat packed mayhem? What a bunch of assholes

14. Dang. I seroiusly thought that shields was over in the 1st but he pulled it out.

Dana has to be laughing at this.

I agree with choker — kenflo would wipe the 155ers out in strikeforce.

I wasn't impressed with Mousasi when he fought soko. soko was doing great against him with his judo and wrestling until he got caught on the ground. I figured that king mo would win this way. He looked good but not great. Props to him tho.

15. big gibby says:

mayhem is a jackass and i am tired of his sorry ass. i hope strikeforce cuts this goofy clown. jake shields on the other hand showed me something tonight. he should go to the ufc and fight gsp,that would be interesting.

16. LOL I guess CBS liked the brawl, they kept it in the delayed west coast feed.

17. Oswald Gobblecock says:

GSP would still handle Shields. Hendo looked old and slow tonight. That was not the Hendo that fought Bisping or Silva. As for Mayhem, he gave Shields a hell of a fight and had him beat at one point.

18. it was pretty boring, i couldn't watch all of the five rounders fully. mousassi and hendo gassed pretty early, i don't get that. you're pros, getting in shape is part of the job. hendo looked really good in the first two, then nothing.

19. As much as I am a fan of Hendo, it's good to see a non UFC champ dominate him for 4 out of 5 rounds and listen to the UFC only fans backpedal. It was disappointing to see such poor take down defense from Mousassi but Lawal is a world class wrestler. As boring as it was, Mo worked a smart gameplan and beat him the only way he could. Mousassi will be back I'm sure. Oh, and Mayhem is a jackass – that's just what this sport needs – WWE drama on live network TV.

20. CobraClutch says:

Choker, tell me about it. hahaha. I missed this one completely.

But let me send a big F.U. to all the haters out there, though. If you guys hate the game of MMA, and only want to see striking, then WATCH BOXING!!!!!! Stop watching MMA and stop polluting the MMA boards with your ignorant B.S. Seriously.

All 6 fighters in the main event were good fighters, and would do fine in any league. In the UFC there are tons of guys worse than these 6. Let's just recognize talent, and be happy that it was a good card….until the end.

That WWE type bullshit has NO place in real MMA and would have never happened in the UFC. Well, for one, the fighter would never be in the octagon, unless called in for a reason. Did anyone else noticed Mayhem laughing the whole time, and Shields had a smirk on his face, too? Freaking LAME.

Anyways…I think Hendo officially became an old man somewhere around Round 3. :(

21. Oswald Gobblecock says:

Clutch, why so angry? lol Relieve some tension son. Also, yes there are UFC fighters that are worse than these 6 guys who fought tonight but there are also UFC fighters better than all 6 so that goes both ways. These were the top doggs in SF. UFC has a much bigger roster and yes not all of them are the elite.

I thought the fights tonight were pretty entertaining for being decisions wins. Probs to Jake but like I said I don't think that was the best Hendo we've seen. Don't think I've ever seen a fighter have somebody in full mount for 4 rounds and not get the finish so probs to Hendo for hangin in there.

22. Nichole Lesniak says:

@ Cobra

– well, I agree and disagree. I agree that this was good for what it was and it still shows some level of competition for the UFC (which is a GOOD thing!).

But to say that what happened has no place in MMA – please step down from your MMA high horse. This kind of stuff happens in ALL sports. ALL. Will it make CBS think twice about airing it? Probably. But in the long run it will not hurt MMA. As a matter of fact it will probably help it to gain fans.

Yes, it would never have happened in the UFC, but that's because Dana wouldn't let it. There are ALWAYS other fighters in the ring for whatever reason. It only went the way it did because Melendez and the Diaz brothers trashed it up.

And I'm not giving up on Hendo yet. He looked awesome in the first round. In the first he was making Shields look like an amateur. I just don't think he took Shields seriously.

I also agree – whiny, casual MMA fans, PLEASE LEAVE and let the grown ups talk! lol

23. And on top of that Nichole, I think he dropped a little too much weight. He looked gassed by the second. I really didn't think Shields looked that impressive. To mount a gassed fighter, even though it is someone as great as henderson, and not be able to finish him? Come on man, he should have been able to do more with it. He didn't look bad, but he didn't look great. If he came to UFC, he would be better than some, but I think he would not be able to hang with the fighters at the upper end of the weight class. All the fights were entertaining though. They were all decision, but they all were explosive.

To expand on what Nichole and Cobra said, yeaah, you should be a fan of MMA everywhere, not just on the feet. That is called kickboxing. The Melandez/Aoki fight was a great fight, and when people were booing, I thought it was great.

24. The Prelim looked like it might have been good

25. with Mousassi and Aoki losing last night and BJ last week, the P4P rankings are messed up!!!

26. Gobblecock, the guys on HDNet's 'MMA Weekly' were talking about some poll that they ran on a few MMA sites which showed quite conclusively that about 70% of fans only watch the UFC. It is so good for the sport of MMA as a whole to have not only fight cards on CBS but also to have promotions like Dream, Sengoku, and Strikeforce send their own fighters to challenge eachother's best.

What is especially amusing about this Hendo situation is that he has often been considered to be one of the best in the UFC which is why he was a coach in TUF, and why he killed Bisping. He has beat some of the best the UFC had to offer and when it comes to the Anderson SIlva debate about how he is being protected by Dana – people always want to use the example that he beat Henderson in the second round a couple years ago. I have always agreed that this was a good point. But now after he recovered from being submitted by AS by working guys like Franklin and ,Bisping he decides not to sign another contract with Dana WHite so that he could first win a title at the Strikeforce 185 division, then 205, and then Heavyweight. He got dominated on his first ambitious attempt. Say all you guys want about how old he is and how Shields would only be average in the UFC – but you just show that you are one of the 70% when you say that. Just because Dana doesn't sign someone to a mulitight contract, doesn't mean that they aren't among the world's best fighters. It's a long road for the 30% to try and convince the 70% but fights like tonight are undeniable evidence.

27. CobraClutch says:

Nichole – Yeah, I understand this thing happens in all sports, but it doesn't belong there, either. This type of immature crap doesn't belong anywhere…maybe not even high school. hahaha. I think if anything it will attract more WWE fans to MMA, because it shows the lame type of fake drama they have all the time. CBS, in all actuality, probably loved it. It's drama.

Oswald – Yeah, it comes across in writing angrier than I mean to say it, but I am fed up with all the posts every time a fighter uses wrestling and a ground game. Seems like a lot of casual fans want to forget this is Mixed Martial Arts and think there should be stand and bang contests all the time. That's not this sport. If they don't like this sport, then don't watch this sport and complain about how boring it is. Go watch lightweight boxing matches if they want to see stand-and-bang contests.

Here's a good article where GSP breaks down how casual fans don't actually understand MMA….

Peace out…Go Lakers!

28. Oswald Gobblecock says:

Dave, UFC doesn't need to send there guys to a smaller show especially when most of those fighters do and have said that they want to come to the UFC some like… kinda like a promotion for them. Of course companies like Strikeforce and Dream have to team up because UFC doesn't need to and it helps them out.

Hendo was not the UFC representative if that's what you were hinting at. He left the UFC, he took a year off and showed his age. I think everybody could agree that Hendo was not the same Hendo who fought Bisping, Franklin or Silva. Jake Shields himself recognized Silva as the best MW in the world so I don't want to hear any bullshit about Dana protecting him when the UFC doesn't need to ever co-promote cause they're by far the top company. I also watch "Inside MMA" and "MMA Weekly" every week and if you do too then you'd know this.

I don't think Shields would be average in the UFC, he'd be one of the best but I don't think he'd beat GSP by any means. 170 is where he'd fight there.

Don't say I'm 1 of the 70% of the UFC fans when I've clearly proved that I'm not time and time again. I could easily call you a UFC hater who constantly hates that the UFC is by far the top company so you talk crap about it no matter what. Fair enough?

Don't make the mistake of thinking Shields beating Hendo is somehow saying the SF is > than UFC. LMAO If you really knew the sport of MMA and how fighters work than you would have seen Hendo flat footed, slowed down, got gassed and breathing heavy and this was before the end of round 1. Never saw him like that in the UFC! Shields did nothing to him at that point so you can't say he wore him down. Ring rust and age is a factor and this has been proven time and time again.

29. Oswald Gobblecock says:

Fact is if UFC didn't cut so many of their fighters after they consistently lost in the UFC then companies like Strikeforce wouldn't have grabbed them and probably would have went under at this point. When they do go under UFC will buy their guys and put them in. I don't see the NFL sending their players to compete in European football. Blows my mind when people can't grasp this.

30. Oswald Gobblecock says:

I gotta ask Dave, maybe I misunderstood you but this cracks me up if you really think this. Do you think UFC should have sent their champs to a Strikeforce show on CBS? lol

You do realize how stupid that is right? What's next, Silva gonna come challenge Kimbo Slice in his backyard?

You know CBS went to UFC first, not Strikeforce right? Of course they'd go for the top company first but UFC doesn't need network TV and the deal wasn't right. CBS wanted ridiculous things like their own announcers and all kinds of stupid shit. UFC isn't changing their setup for them but Strikeforce can't afford to say no… just like they can't afford to say no to a co-promotion with M1 for Fedor and matching their fighters up against Dream's fighters because they can't afford to stand on their own. Lemme give you this analogy… it's like the story of Troy. Troy alone against any single army would destroy them but when all the armies combined then they were able to go up against Troy. Problem is Strikeforce, Dream and every other company rallied up together still doesn't beat UFC when it comes to fighter talent and star power. Something else that they talk about all the time on HD Nets “Inside MMA” and the online show “MMA Weekly”!

31. BJJ Brown Belt says:

Elbowz makes a good point that is kind of lost in all the craziness that happened with Anderson Silva last week and last night's brawl…the rankings are definitely goint to look different. Dana may be jerking off to what happened yesterday but at the same time, his P4P rankings argument for UFC fighters has taken a hit lately. With BJ Penn losing, Anderson Silva becoming an idiot and only showing up every other fight, and GSP solidly winning but can't finish anyone (he did not finish Koz, Fitch, Alves, or Hardy)…can we argue that Fedor should not be #1? If he is not @1, the only other fighter that has a case is Jose Aldo. Dana, don't laugh to much at Strikeforce because your events have not been much better.

32. CobraClutch says:

If anything, Silva's display (while stupid and asinine) only showed how he's in a class all by himself. Silva made Maia look like one of us what sparring with him. He just toyed with a top-level guy. And crushed Forrest when Forrest took the fight right at him. The truth isn't that Silva should drop in the rankings…the truth is that there simply isn't a fighter right now who can shine his shoes, and he's showing that. He's completely and utterly bored with the lack of competition, and he's acting out like a douchebag instead of taking the Tyson road and just annihilating people in the first round and getting it over with. I don't see anyone beating Silva right now…maybe Fedor because the guy's a machine and can take a punch. But that's the only one out there who can beat Silva (in Silva's general weight range, that is).

33. these fights looked fuckin' staged as hell!!!! what a joke!! strikeforce will fail becouse of it!!!

34. ChineseNuts says:

Hendo seriously unerestimated Shields IMHO. Just listining to the pre-fight interviews where Hendo was just talking Shields down kinda proves it. Yeah, Hendo showed his age, but I seriously think he just didn't prepare the way he needed to for that fight… back injury or not… and just so you guys know, I'm not a Hendo hater, or am I making excuses for him. Hell I grew up in Temecula, and miss the So Cal wine scene everyday, so as is I usually root for my hometown boys (even if Soku is over rated as all hell).

Also I found it funny that Melendez was sponsored by Metal Mulisha… which if you don't know who they are, are based out of Temecula/Murrieta/Lake Elsinore area.