Strikeforce “Los Angles” Weigh-In Results

RESULTS

Robbie Lawler (195) vs. Renato “Babalu” Sobral (193.5)
Evangelista “Cyborg” Santos (171) vs. Marius Zaramoskis (169.5)
Tim Kennedy (185.5) vs. Trevor Prangley (185.6)
Conor Heun (159.5) vs. K.J. Noons (159.5)
RJ Clifford (159.5) vs. Jeremy Umphries (159.5)
Marcus Kowal (134.75) vs. Hugo Sandoval (135.5)

Comments

1. Switching to Strikeforce was a great move for Babalu. In UFC he was considered a mediocre fighter and now he's a headliner! Perhaps more fighters in the middle or bottom of their divisions will try to do the same. I'd bet that fighters such as Chris Leben and Sam Stout could be huge stars in the smaller leagues.

2. I'll bet your right, and moreso Robbie Lawler; whom is a big name in Strikeforce would be just another fighter in UFC. I like Robbie and I think he's a pretty smart guy for not switching the the Major Leauge, I'm sure the UFC would be happy to sign him.

3. You guys are both morons. While a "mediocre" fighter in the UFC, Sobral fought guys like Chuck Liddell and Chael Sonnen (he submitted Sonnen). Funny though because now Sonnen is facing Anderson Silva now, right? lol…Keep in mind that Strikeforce doesn't charge 55 bucks to watch these kinds of cards either. It should be entertaining but they know that charging PPV for mediocre cards like the UFC puts out most of the time ruins the sport. But you guys keep up your ignorant chirping. It's comments like those that made it great to see Hendo get bitch slapped by a Strikeforce fighter. Oh and by the way, Babalu didn't "switch" to Strikeforce. Dana kicked him out of the UFC because he was too mean to David Heath when he beat him. He held on to his Anaconda Choke too long and put him to sleep.

4. CobraClutch says:

Here we go again. Trolls just HAVE to jump in and immediately make it personal with troll language like "morons" and "ignorant chirping." Can't wait to see how this post goes back and forth for the next 43 posts as you guys now insult each other and waste hours of your life on this negative bullshit.

Just debate. State your cases. Why make it personal or insulting?

5. Good argument Dave, except that Sobral wasn't kicked out for being mean, he was kicked out for being a coward. After choking out Heath, he held him in the choke after the Official had ordered the release, after the bout he admitted it, stating that Heath had to be taught a lesson because he was rude. You also mentioned that he fought Liddell, but forgot to mention that Chuck KO'd him in 95 seconds of round one. Why didn't Liddell continue to beat on him after he went down?

Because Liddell is a Fighter, was a Champion, and understands honor. Babalu is none of those things and that is why he fights in the Minors.

6. Dave you do know Jake Sheids is going to the UFC right? so your so called strikeforce fighter who bitch slapped hendo is actually going to be a UFC Fighter.

7. I think your being a little hard on him there Mr. Abbott. Yes of course it was cowardly, but Sobral is not a coward and his record speaks for this defense. Renato has been fighting for some time now in any league that will take him, and he has lost hard fought battles to not notch competitors including: Mousasi, Liddell (twice), Jason Lambert, Randleman, Fedor, and Hendo.

However he has defeated many notable fighters, including: Sokoudjou, Mike Whitehead, Sonnen, Wiuff, Horn, "Shogun" Rua, Elvis Sinosic, Murice Smith, Tamura, and of course David Heath. He has 5 KO's and 18 Submissions, and will fight anyone they put in front of him. His fall from grace was honorless, no doubt about it, but it's unfair to label him a coward. Sobral is an MMA Journeyman and will battle where they will have him.

8. Is your moniker: Abbott from the movie "Sneakers" with James Earl Jones playing Mr.Abbott, the chief of the NSA?

9. Kung Fu Panda says:

Hey…it is a Wednesday night and we get free (I call it free because I've had Showtime for about 5 years now and would have it even if it did not offer Strikeforce) MMA…can't we just be happy about that? This card looks to be entertaining, if not good. Babulo is a veteran and I agree with Mac, he is one tough SOB. Robbie also has some great expereince. They are both well rounded fighters that can slug it out or submit you. Cyborg and Marius is going to be a war. We had the UFC last Saturday, we have Showtime tonight, the TUF finale Saturday. WEC on Sunbday and then Strikeforce and another UFC on the next two Saturdays….I am loving it! The UFC is tops but Stikerforce puts on some good shows as well. I have not even looked to see when Bellator is going to be on next.

10. No, nor do I have ties to Tank. I do love that flick, I've seen it many times.

Mac, that was a solid post, you make a very valid point, however, if you do not know, Renato has a Martial Arts School and teaches children and Adults his style of fighting. It is cowardly when you are the teacher to put on such a showing of cowardice to kids and students in general. There is no excuse. That is my opinion, and regardless of his track record, that one bout speaks louder than the others.

11. Kung Fu Panda says:

Abbott, you are right…it was absolutely wrong but he paid for it by getting himself kicked out of the UFC. I don't know of any human that would not want at least one mulligan of something that they did or did not do in their life. You have to go with the track record. Now if there is a second that I am not aware of or if it happens again, then I would absolutely agree.

12. Renato "Babalu& says:

Hey Guys,

I am stretching before my fight tonight and I was upset at the things that you write about me. Heath disrespected me and my team and I had to teach a lesson. Thes things happen all the time in Brazil. Don't understand why the UFC was mad. I told him before the fight that this would happen and he continued to disrespect me. Poorrahh! if you want to sleep like Heath, please continue to disrespect me. My stare alone will give you bad dreams.

Renato "Babalu" Sobral

Gracie Barra Competition Team

13. i know dana call's them the farm team but i think strikeforce always puts on great cards. i used to watch the strikeforce challenger series with so called no-names and they were great fights.

a lot of trash about babalu. i think he's probably a top 10 lhw fighter but more importantly he's fun to watch. i like the matchup here but i don't think lawler has the all around game to beat babalu.

14. CobraClutch says:

well, corey, i hope you're watching then, then since you're a fan. It's on right now as you're posting this. ;)

15. P4P #1 Fan says:

Cobra – do you watch any MMA other than UFC…or are you just a UFC fan? There is nothing wrong with either answer, I was just wondering.

16. Renato "Babalu& says:

I posted this one as a jole, considering all the back and forth about him…this was not intended as a jab to him. I could just see this as being his reponse. I am a Babalu fan. Win or lose, he is always exciting. I just wanted to clear that up so that nobody thinks it was Strikeforce/Babalu hating post.

17. I don't get the last few posts. Nothing written here was disrespectful to Sobral in the least, just a discussion of his MMA history. As it turns out he beat Lawler adding to an already very impressive record. He could very well wind up back with the UFC.

All the MMA leauges have good fights. I used to love HBO's after dark Boxing which only showed bouts between fighters that would never be belt contenders. The bouts were awesome and very entertaining. Likewise no one doubts Strikeforce's ability to put on an entertaining show, it's just that UFC gets the best talent. I still watch the Golden Gloves in NYC every year, those guys strive for every minute of every round, it's all for glory and any leauge big or small can deliver.

18. CobraClutch says:

Of course I like everything. I love MMA. How can you like just the UFC if you like MMA? That doesn't make sense. I was watching when I posted that. But why don't you let us know what your other posting names are. Lots of people making new names lately. Wonder why that is.

19. cobra the serial pos says:

.” Can’t wait to see how this post goes back and forth for the next 43 posts as you guys now insult each other and waste hours of your life on this negative bullshit. your the one who wont stop

20. P4P #1 Fan says:

The name means squat. Unless your real name is Cobra Clutch, then you don't need to worry about anyone's identity, and if your name is CobraClutch, then I can understand why you are so angry. Whether you are Abbott, Corey, tico or Panda, that does not matter. What should matter is the post. Focus on whether you agree or disagree with the post, not the person. You seem awfully frustrated and agitated. We are not going to pick on you like everyone does at school. The only reason why we know you are a pimply, ugly, 80 pound kid is because you find the need to come off as such a hard ass behind a fake name. Take it easy.

Abbott, how can you say that nothing written here was disrepectful to Sobral when yesterday at 12:00 you called him a coward? I do not suport what he did but you can't go both ways write a very supporting post like #17 and a trashing post like you did in #5, unless you didn't post either one of those, which seems the "in" thing around here lately.

21. CobraClutch says:

Dudes, relax. Who's angry? hahaha. #19…you're just ripping off what i've been writing for the past two days. You can stop now. lol. whoever you are, you keep trying to start stuff with me because your life is obviously boring without me. But I know what you're up to now, so it's not going to bug me. Talk about negative…re-read my posts, then yours, and you tell me who's starting shit….or….trying to. lol. :)

22. CobraClutch says:

Oh, I get it. #19 is Dave. Gotcha. Well, peace unto you, Dave, and may you find only good things in your life. :)

23. Yes I did, based on his own admission after that very bout. That's not talking trash, just his history.

If a man kills another man, then admits to it, he is a murderer. The term is not deragatory if it's a fact.

24. Wish I were Gina Car says:

So if a man kills a man but he doesn't admit, then he is not a murdered? :) Just pulling your leg.

Hey P4P take a chill. Cobra has mellowed as of late and is not anygry any more. I do agree with you though on not worrying about the name and just agreeing or disagreeing with the post.

25. The Real MexiCAN says:

Traveling for work has it's perks but on the flip side, I missed last night's fights. Were they good? I recorded them and will eatch over the tomorrow.

I wish I could touch Gina's panties!

26. If you guys would look back at my posts, I only argue with the half assed MMA fans who only watch the UFC and think that anyone else is a minor leaguer. My point with Sobral is that he is a great fighter and he showed that again against Lawler – another great fighter. There are too many 'UFC only' fans out there that think that just because Sobral and others don't have a contract with Dana that they aren't good. This is a tough sport to be a true fan of because most people (especially those who post on this site) will only watch the fighters that the aerobics instructor has signed (the UFC). Strikeforce, Dream and Sengoku aren't the minor leagues. They are just fighters who couldn't or didn't come to terms with Dana White. Plain and simple. The UFC is the deepest MMA promotion out there but they aren't the only game in town. Like I said before, you all thought that Hendo was proof that Anderson Silva was so great, but a few fights later, he was dominated by a Strikeforce fighter. Just enjoy the competition in the world of MMA and stop being such sheep to the UFC. Being a great fighter doesn't mean you have to come to terms first with Dana White.

27. You almost make a good and mature point, but then throw in your own BS with that "Aerobics Instructor" line, which shows you are just as bad as the Posters you are being crtitical about.

People here speak mainly about the UFC because it makes up about 90% of the MMA fights out there. It's a weekly program.

This entire Thread was Posters that spoke of Sobral's great career, the high points and the low. If you read them, you'd know that.

28. P4P #1 Fan says:

Dave,

Great post! I enjoy all of MMA. I don't compete anymore but I still train and support my Team at local events. I have even been to some when nobody I knew was competing. One was pretty cool in 2005 when a riot almost broke out that was started by Clay Guida. I didn't know who he was at the time but his brother was getting his ass kicked, I think it was XFC in Lakemoore, IL and in the thrid round, Clay got pissed and climbed the fence and started a brawl in there. But anyway, point being, we should like support other promotion as well, not just the UFC.

Trevor,

he was a former aerobics teacher-Dave is not lying. You can't dispute history. I agree that speaking of the UFC has to take up most of the time/space because they are the biggest promotion but if someone talks shit about another promotion, then some of us are going to take issue. Lastly, you were one that started all this by calling Sobral a mediocre fighter…is that why he fought Lidell TWICE for the title? Basically what you are saying is that mediocre fighters in the UFC can fight for the championship, more than once.

Take it!

29. OK – I was wrong about the Aerobic Instructor line, I did not know that.

I also didn't know that he was kicked out for acting like a punk, I thought it was because the leauge was cutting fighters that had lost several fights in a row like he had.

However, I don't think by stating that smaller leauges are minor compared to the UFC because they have less bouts, and their fighters are often former UFC guys that were let go; is talking shit.

By definition that is what "Minor" means, it does not mean that it is worse. I prefer Minor Leauge Baseball because the players are not getting millions to play and the games are all hard fought, but it's still Minor Leauge Baseball and their players are trying to get back to MLB. I don't think calling it Minor is talking shit and obviously my post was complimenting Sobrals intelligence.

30. Que Dana me chupe la verga el pinche puto! Se cree mucho el guey. Que le entre al octagono con migo – le doy unos putasos a ese cabron que no va a saber cual es mejor, Strikeforce o UFC!