Strikeforce “Fedor vs Silva” Press Conference Recap

Strikeforce media conference call took place on Jan. 13th at 12pm EST. Scott Coker, Fedor, Antonio Bigfoot Silva is expected to be on the call.

• HW Tournament will consist of 3 round fights, final will be 5 round.
  • Alistair Overeem’s heavyweight title is not on the line.
  • If Allistair Overeem wins the tourney he will be the Strikeforce HW champion as well as Strikeforce HW Grand Prix champion.
  • Allistair Overeem plans another “The Reem” documentary highlighting his journey trough the Strikeforce HW Grand Prix.
  • Fedor Emelianenko “there are a lot of great fighters in the tournament. i am proud to be part of it.”
  • Antonio BigFoot Silva “I’m going to beat the legend and I’m going to be a legend”
  • Fedor “many times people have sized me up. If they think that they have found what my biggest weakness is, let them try to take advantage of it.”

Comments

1. Overeem's title is not on the line?

WTF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What kind of lame ass shit is that?!

Talk about a friggin cop out cross promotion!

WEAK, so, so weak…

2. Agree with you 100%

Hide the title, and the Cross Promotion loses all meaning.

3. WTF are yall talkin about! Its a frickin tournament if you dont like it dont watch it! UFC backin the day had tournaments all the time and so did PRIDE.

4. What does this have to do with the UFC, you insecure cock.

This has to do with a Cross Promotion that just chickened out of the point of a Cross Promotion!

Wake Up!

5. You are right of course, it defeats the purpose, but I'm going to watch it anyway.

6. you all take this way too seriously. watch the fights and enjoy.

7. P4P #1 Fan says:

I agree with Choke333- who cares about a title. I just want to watch great fights and follow the tournament. If I recall correctly, when Pride had their tournaments, belts were not on the line neither. I could be wrong-it has been a while but either way, there should be some great fights coming out of this tournament.

8. Rich in NJ says:

I jumped at the chance to get tix to this just to see Fedor in person before he decides to hang it up (Which might be at the end of this tournament)

The big question for me is why are Fedor and AO on the same side of the bracket? Wouldnt Strikeforce want that fight to be a possible outcome for the final?

9. Flying Armbar says:

Good question Rich in NJ…that would be the "dream" final. I am not sure how they drew this up but if they picked where the fighters would land versus having some sort of lottery, then it does not make sense. But title or not, this should be an exciting tournament. I don't recall the brackets but to see Fedor, Allistair, and Josh in the finals…along with possibly Werdum, that is looking real good.

10. I agree with you guys, who cares about honor, let's just see some fun fights!

In fact let's get rid of all Titles and Belts, it's all so silly, competition and such.

Yaaaa! Everyone's a winner!

11. i also am really looking forward to this tourney… dont really care that there is no title on the line… best thing about it is there are some potentially badass fights and its not going to cost me anything but a monthly showtime subscription(which also has other good shows)… i guess all the people on this thread who cant seem to stop downing non ufc organizations are just not going to watch this.. yeah right

12. MMA Fighter says:

Timmy- honor? WTF are you talking about? What is this, the Army? Are they fighting for someone's freedom? You are so fucking stupid that you are wasting our time. This tournament is coming at good time for SF because from what we saw recently, nobody wanted to fight Allistair. This way they are going to have. But you also can't have title matches because what are you going to do, make Alistair's fight 5 rounds every round while others are fighting 3? Is that fair? Plus let's say he drew Arlovski in the first fight, if Arvloski happens to win, which we know anything can happen, should he really be the champ? This is a tournament and the only major org that does not do them is the UFC- so is that why your faggot ass doesnt agree with it? Don't watch then dumbfuck!

13. Businessman says:

Timmie- you make it seem like they are fighting to the death…do you really care about who takes a tittle home? How does that affect you? If you, a loved one, a friend, etc is not taking home the belt…who cares. I just want to see a great tournament. They had these during the old Pride days and the belts were not up because it doesn't make sense to put the belt up. This is somehting that is outside of the belt. Explain to me how it matters to you or changes things for you whether AO takes the belt, Fedor takes the belt, or Werdum takes the belt…are you going to wake up a millionaire? Stop being so dramatic you drama queen.

14. Guys like Timmie should not be posting. They add no value or insight to the thread. Timmie- you old fat bastard, please enlist again. This civilian life aint working for you.

15. Kung Fu Panda says:

They probably put Fedor and AO in the same bracket to pretty much guarantee that they fight each other. it would have made for a great final but I could see why they would have bracketed (is that a word?) this way.

16. Ouch, you guys really hurt my feelings, both Businessman and his alter ego, OMEGA (obviously the same poster).

If the Belt is not on the line, why include this as part of a Cross Promotion Tournament?

What it says is that the Cross Promotion does not actually count, the fights meaningless between lines, I suppose AO's opponent (who must have really worked his way up the ladder to get a shot at the HW Champion) is not worth an actual Title shot…

17. Your right Timmie, Businessman is a so and so. I'm so clever!

18. MMA maniac says:

I have a feeling strikeforce might fold. what do you guys think

19. MMA Fighter says:

Timmie- Are you going to watch this tourney? If the tourney sucks that bad, then don't watch. Shell out $50.00 for every UFC and let that be the only MMA game in your mind. That is your option. But seriously, bring some points to your posts. Now you are probably going to say that I am also Businessman and Omega. While you are at it, I am also jbug, Choke333, and Flying Armbar. Everyone that agrees has to be the same the poster because there is only a minute number of people that can disgree with Timmie.

20. Of course I'm going to watch it, and I never said it sucks.

Did you even read my post?

21. MMA Fighter says:

Yes I read your posts. When you say that this is "silly" (post 10) and "meaningless" (post 16), that is pretty much saying that it sucks. I would not watch or participate in something that I thought was silly or meaningless.

22. …re-read it and this time use your brain, the topic of discussion starting with TRAY on post #1 is why a Cross Promotion is scared to make the bouts count.

If AO gets knocked out, he's still the HW Champion, and that is bull shit and you know it.

Anytime any Belt Holder fights, his title must be on the line, otherwise its nothing. Imagine if after Lesnar lost the HW Belt, if White came out and announced that, it didn't count. Well that's exactly what they're doing, but for real.

…and if you don't understand where "honor" sands in martial arts, then ask any pro MMA Fighter from any organization anywhere in the world, and you'll get a straight answer.

23. RoundRobin says:

Who puts there title on the line

with more then 1 fight. So many great fighters cannot wait to see who lasts.

The reason they don't do these fights anymore is because usually the winners cannot fight again and you end up with 2 fighters out. Go fedor.

24. That's why these tournaments are so rare, because of injuries. Win the first round but get injured and your out regardless. It works great with Ping Pong, not MMA.

25. the title is not on the line cause they didn't think it was fair to overeem. the winner of the tourney will get the title shot against overeem for his strikeforce belt after this is over.

26. MMA Figher says:

Timmie…Timmie….Timmie, you are such a simpleton. If they came out after the fact, like in your example, then yes, it is bullshit. But if they are saying that his title is not on the line from the beggining, then how is it bullshit? This is a total separate tournament than from the belt title. So then, years ago when Liddell went and fought in Pride for the LHW tourney, and he lost, should he have lost his UFC belt? No..because they had nothing to do with each other. Even though it is the same org, this is separate from the belt. Why can't you understand this simple concept?

And as far as your "inspirational" paragraph about honor in marital arts, there is very little of it around. We are not talking about samurais or movies…MMA is a business and fighters care about winning and about making money. There is little to no loyalty or honor in MMA. Everyone is out for themselves. When probably half or more on PEDs, you have brawls on national TV, fighters sucker punching after the bell, fighters switching camps, promoters-coaches-trainers using fighters…you cannot tell me that there is much honor in MMA. it is unfortunate but it is reality. Take you honor rahrah speach to your karate dojo but maybe "you" should use your brain a little…Timmi- because you lost this argument, you must now take out your samarai sword and do the right and "honorable" thing…good bye Timmie.

27. Alexander Baring says:

I have been watching this argument over the past few days and feel its time to chime in.

I must agree with Timmie and Tray. The point of a Cross Promotion fails, if the bouts don't count. It does not matter if it's fair to a fighter.

But that's not important anyway since its only Strike Force and Strike Force is the WCW of pro MMA, good for an occasional event, but pathetic overall.

However, as a Shotokahn Karate practioner for over 15 years and a fan of the fight sports. We are not talking about Movies, this is real life, and without Honor we are nothing.

Neither of you won the argument, but you both whined like little girls and on and on and on…

28. Alexander,

It is important, and saying it is not just because Strike Force is a smaller venue than UFC is not right. What you and MMAF don't seem to grasp is that without accountability the sport suffers. Like in Pro Boxing when a Champion accepts a challenge but will not put the Belt on the line, it's for pussies, and it helped ruin what was once an amazing sport, it's too bad MMA is heading the same way.

There is honor in MMA, or at least there should be.

That's the last I'll speak of it.

29. MMA Figher says:

Alexander- even though I disagree with Timmie, there was no whinning on his end or my end. We were having a "heated" debate….isn't that part of what these forums are for? We are all fans and want the best for the sport but as humans, we are going to disgree. he thinks one way is best and I disagree. I think you are the whinner for standing from the sidelines and waiting until the end to jump and be the "ref". if you disagree with me, fine, I can take it. This is not personal this to me. it is fun. It is a way to express your thoughts. at least Timmie and I have the balls to throw our thoughts for everyone to see and possibly rip into. Your argument actually makes less sense to me than Timmie's because I could at least follow Timmie's logic…you say that this doesn't make sense but then that it is OK…which is it? And next time you post, please do everyone a favor and leave your Cobra Clutch like comments of how much expereince and years of training you have, out of it. Pretty much everyone on this site trains or has trained. One last thing, I dont disagree with either of you that there should be honor, and that would be best but unfortunately there is not and my examples above, and those were only a few, prove it. One more example, even if you look at Anderson Silva, who is my favorite fighter, as good as he is and for as much class as he shows when her bows, he has acted like a clown and dishonored his opponents, himself and the sport in how he has taunted his opponents. Listen, I wish that there was honor but go talk to trainers, fighters, etc…they will tell you themselves- it is win at almost all costs. There was recently a fight, don't recall what org but it may have been the UFC, where a fighter tried to squeeze his opponents nuts when he was in his opponents guard. Bas Rutten was ripping that guy and luaghing as well but just could not beleive that someone, in this day and age would have that type of sportmanship….is that honor? Now don't get me wrong, there are some classy and honorable fighters but overall, there MMA is not. It is unfortunate but true.

30. Kung Fu Panda says:

You are talking about Inside MMA- I did see that one as well where Bas was laughing but also going off on a fighter for tying to grab or squeeze his nuts. They showed pictures but no footage of it.

That was somewhat common back in the day. I heard that in Vale Tudo fights in Brazil, that would happen alot and I think I recall it happening, possibly in one of the early Pride events…not sure of the org but it was Gary Goodridge trying to squeeze Allan Goes' nuts.

This should not happen today, with the rules and sanctioning bodies regulating the sport.