Roy Jones Jr. Agrees To Fight Anderson Silva In MMA, Dana White Says NO

anderson silva vs. roy jones jr
In a surprise move, former boxing champ Roy Jones Jr. agrees to face Anderson Silva inside the octagon under MMA rules. The only problem is getting it past UFC President Dana White:

“You won’t see a Silva versus Jones fight while Silva is under contract with me …. I don’t want to say anything bad about Roy Jones, I like Roy Jones and was a fan of his, but he mattered like fifteen years ago. He’s not anywhere near the best boxer in the world. He must’ve spent all his money.”

“I could do it, make it huge, make money, but I could have done a fight like this when we were bleeding money [in the early 2000s] … The fight would make some money, but it hurts MMA in the long term. We don’t do that because we love the sport. That’s a Pride or K-1 matchup. It’s not what we do.”[CBS]

The Silva/Jones fight will not likely happen anytime soon unless the UFC agrees to host the fight.

Comments

1. Cobra Clutch says:

I agree with Dana 100%. It's a lame choice. Jones will be killed in the octagon. Let Silva finish up his contract and go fight in Strike Force or the WBA or something.

2. Kudos to Dana for thinking about things in the long term.

3. Silva would walk throw Jones and i think they should do it becasue it would make so much money but we all know Silva would eat jones alive

4. i don't see your guys problem with this fight, i don't care if its in a ring or cage mma rules or boxing it would be great, and good for boxing and mma.

5. dane drebin says:

ya i would definetly pay to see this fight it would eb sick if roy and anderson made it a deal to keep it all standup it could be interesting.

6. RJJ isnt even close to his prime. But he could still KO ANderson. And with those tiny gloves? Man all it would take is 1 punch and its over. RJJ is still very athletic and I think he could learn to avoid kicks quite fast. I mean he is one of the best athletes in the world. His hands are still fast as heck. But again is he too washed up to beat Anderson? If Cote can make Anderson back off him and play it safe then I think RJJ could do the same. But how would he handle the kicks and the clinch? Boxing Roy takes it easy. MMA Anderson takes it.

7. isn't even close to his prime ????????????? HA!!!!! you must of messed up your words

8. Nichole Lesniak says:

The fight would be nothing but a spectacle and make a joke of both sports. What's next, basketball players taking on football? They are TWO different sports and should be kept that way.

9. i also think if they do it ………. they should do it in both sports and if a rubber match bare knuckle street fight

10. That fight will happen as soon as Anderson Silva's contract is up. How can you turn down millions of dollars for one boxing match.

11. I'm all for it. Let RJJ get a taste of mma.

12. Oswald Gobblecock says:

Anderson would kill Roy in MMA. No contest, I'd go as far to say that he pretty much has no chance even! It'd be closer if it were a boxing match but that's just punching with big gloves vs everything! Anderson's the better fighter period and I agree with Dana that Roy coming to the UFC would be a joke. A punchers chance is all he'd have even with all those boxing skills… they don't cut it in MMA when there's so much more to look out for.

13. Oswald Gobblecock says:

Also, steve… it's well known that Cote only survived against Silva when he was going about 60%. Survived, that's all! lol You say that I don't give Fedor credit which I do but I like every1 wants to see him in the UFC cause it's the top company but not even you should hate on Silva to the point where you'd really think Roy could ever last against him in MMA… even if Roy was in his prime. He doesn't know how to avoid kicks! Talk to people who have boxed for years and then tried kickboxing or MMA about learning new areas fast? lol

14. Roy is deluted as heck if he thinks he will give Anderson Silva a match in MMA! LMAO I wasn't even too sure he when in boxing anymore but I'd give him teh benefit of the doubt just cause that's what he does but Silva is teh better fighter period. Guy's who've actually mastered MMA can't even test Silva and Cote did NOT give Silva any danger. Let's be serious. lol Franklin or Henderson would kill Cote!

15. many pac man versus bj penn, make it happen ufc.

Gosh what's next, Jose Conseco fighting in mma, no wait!

Thunder Lips versus Rocky, no wait!

Actually I would love to see RJJ get his ass kicked but I see dana's point.

16. To say somebody has no chance in a fight shows how ignorant u r oswald especially if roy has the skills to ko ppl. Serra beat gsp by tko lol. And ur telling me that rjj couldnt clip anderson on the chin and win? Read my post and understand it. I even said I dont think RJJ would win but u saying he has NO chance is just funny. Just like if anderson fought roy boxing anderson has a chance. Not a good one but a chance.

17. Ryan S says:

I agree Nichole, thats a great way to put it. I just found out tonight that Shaq has been training at Gracie for like ten years. Why do these basketball and baseball and football players want to switch to MMA? Because it’s a tough guy sport? Fuck them. Stay in your own sport.

18. i just can't see why anyone would be against this who cares if rjj would get destroyed in mma or if anderson would get beat in boxing, people who fight mma get destroyed in seconds sometimes it a fight anyone has a chance in either boxing or mma i would like to see them do both and its no joke at all to me.

19. Whats the matter Mr. White scared roy jones might beat your fighter as a former also ran boxer you know the old adage a punchers chance. Plus you would not want to see your gestopho like hold of MMA slip by actually treating your fighter like the stars they are by first paying them whats right and not trying to upstage them with your stupid blog, yellowing at them on the ultimate fighter ect, ect.

20. Oswald Gobblecock says:

lol Steve I see your anger towards me still exists just cause I used to dogged on you a bit for your boldly retared comments. It's not ignorant to say Roy doesn't have much of a chance to beat Silva in MMA when top MMA guys don't even have that chance… how is that ignorant? Ignorant would be saying Roy could avoid Anderson's kicks fast cause he's athletic! lol That doesn't mean he knows how to avoid kicks, especially from Silva. Ignorant would also be not being able to comprehend my other post about me callin Fedor the best HW but not necessarily the best fighter period. That IS a matter of opinion. Other fighters have actually cleaned out their weight classes. *cough* Silva.

I used the word "ignorant" alot since you brought it up but you truly live up to that definition.

21. I think what dana white said is totally against what he was preching two years ago to anyone who would lission with floyd mayweather and sean sherk that would have been a circus act. What about dana willing to green light kirk angle to fight. I also think dana white must be going broke look at what he is paying his fighters peanuts, fighters that are not the main event.

22. All I have to say is a fight like this is what the U.F.C built its foundation on style versus style. I think that has been lost in all the corperate sponsorship and dictator presidents of the company.

23. Ryan S says:

I also think Silva would finish RJJ. Probably not easily, but I would put money on it. Everyone says that RJJ has knockout power, especially with those severly padded gloves (in comparison to MMA gloves), well lets see how used to covering his face he is with the small gloves. I always thought that difference was funny. It is so much easier to cover your face with boxing gloves than it is with MMA gloves. RJJ would have to train for several years to make me not want to bet on Silva.

24. Oswald you r actualy ignorant. Anyone has a chance to win a fight thats why they actually fight but yet u think Anderson is untouchable. You really are so unaware of what a fight really is. One mistake and u can lose just like that. Especially at the top levels of mma. Then u say even the top guys dont have a chance against him. LMAO u really think that anderson cant be beat. Even Fedor can be beat. I cant wait till Anderson loses and when he does I want to hear what u say about him then. They said chuck wouldnt lose when he was on his huge streak. Anderson is HUMAN and he CAN lose. If you ever fought or have been in a fight or even watched a crap load of mma fights you would know this. I wouldnt ever bet on RJJ to beat Anderson in an mma fight also. But Oswald have ever checked kicks? Learned how to do any of the things u say take years and years to do? RJJ is a world class athlete and ppl like him can learn and adjust much faster than u, your buddies or I ever could dream of. So stop thinking anderson is superman. Nobody is saying Anderson would lose but im saying he is beatable. which is something u r failing to comprehend.

25. Of course RJJ isnt gonna be a professional kickboxer or mma champ in 4 months but jesus its not impossible to check a kick if u r training with worldclass trainers.

26. seanyaboi says:

dana is just scared that if jones beats silva (which is a very slim chance) boxing would have that over him forever

27. Oswald Gobblecock says:

Steve, calling me ignorant after proving that you were doesn't hold much weight. Yes, even you have a chance to win! lol Not much of one though which is why I used the word "much" when I stated it cause it's true. Glad that went over your head just like the comments about Fedor yet again. That ignorance of yours has yet to show right? lol I think Anderson is untouchable and are not aware of what a fight really is? Really? Did you just say that. LMAO This is why myself and several others looked at you as a joke on this forum in the 1st place. You come off like you're some fighting expert and yet most of us see that you don't know what you claim to know. Any boxer has a punchers chance… that's it! You saying Roy has a good chance shows us all that you're ignorant. I've heard so many expert analysis' on this subject from people who know what they're talking about but you think you know better. Tell you what I'll stop thinking Anderson is "superman" just cause he'd kill RRJ in MMA once you get off Fedor's nuts ok? lol Way to not contradict yourself kid. Take care chief!

28. Oswald you said this "Anderson would kill Roy in MMA. No contest, I’d go as far to say that he pretty much has no chance even!" This in no way means then u say he only has a punchers chance. He cant have no chance and then have a chance in the same fight. So who is contradicting themselves actually huh? And u keep bringing up this fedor coment lol. I wasnt the only one thst comented on your dumbass fedor coment lol. Then u say that I said roy has a good chance. Where the fuck did I say that smart guy? U were saying he had no chance and u even said "It’s not ignorant to say Roy doesn’t have much of a chance to beat Silva in MMA when top MMA guys don’t even have that chance… how is that ignorant?" I was arguing with u about u saying he had no chance and u then switched back to him having a punchers chance. Then u even say the TOP guys in mma dont have a chance. Get the fuck out of here lol. Everyone knows that Cote and Leites arent considered TOP guys. Except well YOU. But keep thinking Anderson cant be beat UFC fanboy.

29. Oswald Gobblecock says:

Actually me saying he pretty much has no chance is saying he only has a punchers chance. Glad you think that you know what I'm thinking. lol No contradicting here… just you misunderstood, couldn't comprehend and the mother of all screw ups… assumed! Everybody who replied on the Fedor comment didn't act like I was wrong cause it's an opinion retard. They might have respectfully disagreed which is fine but you calling me stupid is like puke telling shit it stinks… it doesn't make sense coming from you. On the other hand, I've heard several people mention on how you're the dip shit in the forum who always thinks he knows what he's talking about but doesn't. I know you've seen this so don't deny it. It's pretty clear that on this site you're like a freezer cause everyone puts their meat in you.

Also, show me where I said Cote and Leites were top contenders? lol You have to make up stuff to use against me cause you have no ammo and you're weak. Also, something tells me that you haven't had pussy since it's had you. Online forums are the only place where you think people listen to your loser ass but they don't. lol Do me a favor… sometime this week just walk up and say "hi" to a girl… try not to sweat either.

30. everyone puts there meat in me??? LOL another coment u make b/c u cant win an arguement. Claiming u win an arguement doesnt mean u are actually right gobblecock. Then u talk about my personal life. LOL who is the one that is losing the arguement exaclty? You take shots at me persoanlly b/c ur butt sore about getting ur ass handed to u on forums. What a fucking loser lol. Of course people are gonna talk crap about me. I have disagreed at one time with every one the site but I have also probally agreed with people on the site as well. I think everyone on this site knwos that when I post something I am taking a side and when I do I am going to defend my opinion whether u like it or not. I am gonna say what I think. Of course this rubs people the wrong way. You can say im the idiot of this site or whatever but it seems the only time u type on this site is to argue about shit lol. Then act like u when the arguement and attack peoples personal life which u know nothing about. So who is the loser again I ask? You. Hows about you try and get a girl or wait your probally a fag. Then u also dont understand my post above. You said the top guys have no chance and I was saying that the TOP guys do. Cote and Leites dont and thats the only 2 guys that had no chance against him. Do u think Forrest has no chance agianst him aswell? B/c he will be the best fighter Anderson has fought in the UFC and is actually considered a TOP guy. He must not have a chance huh Gobblecocks. Your words not mine smart guy.

31. Their* and also im done with this topic u have nothing left to say but talk about me lol. U r a fucking idiot.

32. dane drebin says:

id like to go on record that ive never put my meat in steve lmao wtf

33. man three months without comment and im the top ten

34. I gotta say Oswald, saying that RJJ has pretty much no chance doesn't really translate to a puncher's chance in my eyes. Saying he pretty much has no chance tells me that it would take something just short of a miracle to win, whereas I have seen a puncher's chance pull through, hence Serra knocking out GSP. A puncher's chance can lead to an 8 second KO. Also, just like Dane, I have not put my meat in Steve. Honestly, I'm not sure if you were going with a gay joke or not, but if not, I'm not really sure what that means.