Randy Couture: Determined To Make The Fedor Fight Happen

randy couture

In an interview with PunchDrunkGamer, Randy Couture states he is determined to make the fight with Fedor Emelianenko happen before he retires.

PDG: So you’re definitely planning on fighting Fedor at the end of the year?
Randy: Yeah, the last quarter of 2008 I expect to be in a position to find a way to make the Fedor fight happen. I know he’s going to have competition in between, and I hope those go well for him, and the status [of the fight] remains the same as it is now. I certainly have some acting and training to do between now and then that I am excited about. I’m going to focus on those things and stay in shape and stay sharp and be ready for that fight after my contracts have expired.

PDG: So that is the only fight left that you want?
Randy: At this stage of things, yes that is the only fight I want. I think that if that fight doesn’t happen then you will see me retire. I have been competing not to win titles, but purely for the love of competition and fighting guys that I thought were interesting to fight. Out of all the guys out there right now Fedor is the guy I want to fight. Win or lose I’ll probably retire after that fight and focus on all of that other stuff. At 44 right now, I’ll be 45 when that fight happens, that will be the best fight in my opinion to go out on either way.

Couture makes a bold statement “I’m not really going to settle with the UFC”.

PDG: Well Randy that’s it. I appreciate you taking the time to do the interview; I know you didn’t really want to do any. I also wasn’t planning on bothering you about your issues with the UFC, but thank you for the comments.
Randy: Well I didn’t really want to do any interviews that would inflame the situation or prevent me from settling with the UFC in a positive way. But the ground work has kind of been laid and now the situation is I’m not really going to settle with the UFC so it doesn’t matter. People are getting the word now though, but it’s all good.

Comments

1. i would love to see couture beat fedor.

2. Couture DUCKING Nog…

3. richaaron says:

I'm still gonna have to take Fedor. It is obvious that Couture has no intentions of fighting until his contract expires with the UFC. Fedor will have had at least 3 fights on the year going into a fight with Randy. It will still be a great fight to watch…

4. i like randy but i don't see him winning this fight in anyway.

5. i do see randy wins, if not he would put up a great fight

6. Robert,

Ducking Nogueira in favor of fighting Fedor? Are you kidding me? That's like "ducking" a wolf to fight a bear.

7. I think Randy can win… and he is not ducking Nog he is trying to fight the consensus #1 HW in the world.

8. I think it will live up to the hype as long as Coutures age doesn't catch up with him. Its going to be his last fight, he is going to train his ass off and watch every Fedor fight to come up with a good gameplan. The only drawback I can see is having to wait till October to see the fight.

9. i really have no idea, i think this fight could go either way. I cant decide on who has an upper hand. I do know that it will be a sick fight tho

10. I think Fedor wins this. Randy is very good at developing game plans, but Fedor is the one fighter you can't develop a game plan for. He transitions so flawlessly that no matter how Randy goes at him, Fedor will see the opening and take it.

11. i dont know, randy has seen all types of fighters ad has been in every bad situation you could think of. I just cant wait to see this fight

12. dane drebin says:

im not sure who will win this fight i think randy has the edge because he has been fighting such stiff competition and has been dominating which should give him an advantage while fedor has been fighting cans… im not sure tho cuz mark coleman couldnt take fedor down at all even tho he was old as fuck… but if fedor didnt grab the ropes matt lindland a middle weight would ahve taken him down… i watched fedor vs fajita lastnight on fsn and fedor looked pretty bad in that fight… i dont think fedor will submit randy but he could knock him out on the feet. it all depends if its in a cage or a ring… i think fedor would win in the ring cuz randy couldnt push fedor up against the cage. if its in a cage i think randy will smuther fedor up against the cage and work him over

13. dredlokrasta says:

Good stuff Dane! It just sucks we have to wait so long to see what will transpire of this match.

14. Jun Da Silva says:

Fighters that did well in Pride don't always do well in the UFC Cro-Cop, Shogun, Henderson and Wanderlei are some but Jackson, Anderson Silva and others have done well. If Fedor and Randy becomes a reality I would rather see this fight happen in the ring, I believe there is an advantage for the grappler in the cage but in the ring it's even for both fighters. In the ring avantage Fedor, in the cage advantage Randy. Dana just to let you know Fedor vs Randy is the Ali vs Frazier of our time and because of your greed this historic event will take place else where, smart move Dana (not).

15. I believe that the cage is more "true to life" than the ring. Are you going to find ropes in a street fight? Is there going to be a ref to reset you in the center of the ring? On the other hand, man has built walls everywhere he goes. You can't back through them to escape an attacker, and that attacker can use the wall to his advantage if he knows how.

16. Jun Da Silva says:

Excuse me Tom, but just to let you know the street is even larger space than the ring and if your not doing anything in the cage while your on the mat you get back on your feet, I wish the rules of the street were a fairytale as you say and you get to stand up again and fight, I don't think so and I don't know about your vision but that 3rd man standing up with a black shirt in the UFC is a referee, there are no refs in the street…….

17. Jun Da Silva says:

Tommy, I don't know what fights in the UFC that your watching but that 3rd guy with a black shirt is called a ref, and the street I believe is even larger than the ring and in the cage if your not really doing anything on the mat you get to stand up and try again, in the street you get one chance to win or lose so don't ell me the street is like the cage, please not even close.

18. Jun, the operative word in my comment was "more". I wasn't trying to make a case that professional cage fighting is just like street fighting. Just that of the two options, i.e. ring or cage, a cage is less artificial. I miss the old days of Royce Gracie when there were no rounds (artificial), damned few forbidden techniques (artificial rules), and NO stand-ups by the referee.

19. The stand up rule is something that is in place because most fans dont know what is happening on the ground. Before I started training jujitsu I thought it was the most boring thing for the fight to be taken to the ground. But now I see that there are so many little things that make the ground interesting. Short of someone not working at all they should never stand them up, but they do just to make the majority of fans happy. I say if you like MMA, take some time to learn about the ground game because it makes watching the fights that much better.

20. Morey, I agree with you. And the refs are not completely consistent in how fast they stand them up. I have seen a few cases of guys stalling on the ground, but most times they are working on something. Once the crowd starts booing though, the refs usually stand them up.

21. Jun Da Silva says:

Well for me the ring is best for MMA, the fights of Pride were classic and elegant, fighting MMA is an art, both fighters get to equally use their fighting skills. The art of a submission is beautiful to see, a kick to the head that connects, priceless. For you guys the cage, for me the ring, but we can all agree MMA is here to stay and kicking boxing butt. Lets just hope it stays honest and not corrupt as boxing is today.

22. Randy wouldnt duck Nog. He doesnt duck people. why would he do that when everyone knows he would just lay in Nog's gaurd and pound him for 5 rounds. Whats gunna happen? Is Nog gunna catch him in a sub? lol Randy is brute and wouldnt get caught just like fedor didnt when he faught him

23. i think its a matter of randy not needing to fight anyone else but fedor to prove himself. if he takes the fight with nog and somehow loses then he loses the momentum for the fedor fight. right now Fedor vs. Couture would be 1 vs. 2. all that said, randy would whoop nog's ass.

24. Randy deck Fedor? Now? It aint happening. Look what happened to Timmy who took Randy the distance.