Quinton “Rampage” Jackson Wins By KO

quinton jackson wins over liddell

Quinton “Rampage Jackson is the new UFC Light heavyweight Champion of the World. He knocked out the Iceman at 1:53 of the first round. Rampage caught Liddell with a right hook knocking him down, than immediately followed it up with punches to the downed Liddell. Referee jumps in and stops it. Liddell was out for a short time. Liddell disappointed in the loss.

***** The Fight *****
At the opening bell, Liddell shows his usual game plan of baiting his opponent by back peddling and waiting for his opportunity to counterstrike. His footwork is much more busy than usual as he shows a lot of respect for Rampage’s hands. They throw test punches for a minute before Rampage smartly gets Liddell to fight his game by taunting his retreats. Liddell decides to push the action more and goes in and out for some quick combinations. He connects a pretty good left hook to the body of Rampage, but doesn’t see the right hook answer that Rampage throws. It was a perfect button punch right hook that drops Liddell to the floor. Rampage pounces on Liddell and tries to work some elbows in between his wild defense. Rampage connects on a very good punch that puts Liddell out, spread eagle. His very next punch wakes Liddell up again, but it is too late and the fight is stopped.

MMA is a very exciting and unpredictable sport, as this PPV showed. No one is safe in this sport, but Chuck Liddell has been about as sure of a bet as you can get. Rampage will be a good champion and you can expect a war in his first title defense against Dan Henderson.

Comments

1. Way to go Rampage!!! I just won a $10 bet from my mailman. I guess Pride fighters have arrived. Can't wait for UFC to sign Fedor. Hope they have the money & balls to give him what he deserves to fight here. Greater fights to come! TITO & RASHAD, right on! This is the best sport ever.

MMA ROCKS! Thanks Dana for pulling it all together.

Is there really a debate if Chuck was out or not?

PLEASE!

2. Realwun says:

Damn, I wish this was a better fight. This is what I paid for? Just kidding, this was one of the best UFC's I've seen. Even the decision fights were good.

I think Rampage will "whoop dat ass" on Henderson, then I can see the third in this series. Hell yeah, I know this wasn't the last time these two will meet.

3. UFC-Mike says:

The Houston alexander and keith jardine fight was incredible i would have never thought that he would get beat so badly by this guy ive never even heard of he gave him three uppercuts in that period of time were they were against the cage!

I will also add that chuck liddel disappointed me,he should have done alot better and for the fight to got only a minute and a bit was messed i called a third round ko never would have thought the first round.

4. I love the excitement of the quick fights, but I hate to see such a great champion defeated with out a true test. I would have preferred the fight to at least go into the second round.

5. Great night of action. I loved the Heat and Peoples Warrior fight. From the bell it was non stop action. Alot of missed haymakers though. I also thought the Heat's song about his judo throws was funny. Ive always said the only way to beat Chuck is to out strike him, since its impossible to take him to the ground.

I watch the fight at a strip club and ate nothing but wings and beer with a bunch of fans. What a great time!

6. It was stopped too early. Why? Because this is a championship fight and the ref should have let Chuck have a little opportunity to fight his way back into the fight.

They did that for Ortiz when he fought Liddell last, he could have been stopped in the first round, but the ref knew to let him have an opportunity to fight it out.

When a title is on the line, the ref should let it go a little bit more.

7. Chuck admitted he was out in the post fight conference. It's like sometimes in boxing the first shot knocks the guy out and the second one wakes him up. Chuck wasn't just rocked he was on his back with his arms spread out on the mat. He was done. Trying to get up is just addrenaline and a lot fo heart. He's huge for the sport though and he's not done for a while. The only reason Rampage got this shot so fast was because Chuck asked for it, and he deserves to get anything he asks for based on his contributions to MMA and UFC.

Hopefully Rampage blows through Henderson and we see a Liddell/Jackson 3 sometime next year. Right now I'm trying to figure out who they'll put Chuck against for his comback fight. Gouvea would be choice since he called him out. I'd be worried about putting him up against a guy like Houston Alexander though. I think that guy could take Chuck out as well. It'd be a great fight though.

8. I think Houston has to prove himself with another tough opponent first…much like Kos. If they can get Wanderlei Silva to come out of his year retirement, that would be a good matchup for Chuck to gain his momentum back again. Gouvea and Shogun are some other good, tough matchups for Chuck.

9. T. Roberts says:

Chuck should hope to god that Wanderlei Silva doesn't come out of retirement. The Axe Murderer destroys people. At 205 Rampage gave him a great fight but was dismantled. If the Axe Murderer comes back and is on his game he's unstoppable.

10. Realwun says:

I don't see Wanderlei taking a fight against Chuck, no matter what Dana says. He's coming off of two poor performances and two losses. He's taking the rest of the year off because he wants to make sure he starts winning again. Chuck is a gamble for him right now, three straight losses is like three strikes.

11. T. Roberts says:

That's a good point of view. I don't think Silva could just jump back into the action. He's gonna need at least one fight to work on timing and technique from such a long layoff. The Octagon suits fighters like Silva and Rampage because their techniques are relentless and you can't hide in the cage like the ring. I think that's were Cro Cop got into trouble in the UFC. I honestly think that Silva couldn't be sitting at home watching American Idol with those two losses as his last efforts.

I also think that Dana has to get Fedor. I have the upmost respect for Randy Couture but Fedor is another animal. If this guy was fighting a wolf I would have to but my money on Emelianenko.

12. richie g says:

sighn fedor and yall wont regret it

13. I don't see Fedor having too many options, if he wants to be seen and make some good money, then he has to come to the UFC/Pride. Maybe in a couple of years another orgainiztion will come up and gain this level of popularity, but right now I don't think there are many options like the UFC that would suit a Fedor type fighter.

I know ICON and Elite are trying to get some big names, so maybe he will do that. I know that Cro Cop hasen't seemed happy in the UFC and I'm not suprised he is planning on retiring.

14. I see Fedor joining another orgainization, getting them going, and making a ton of money for doing that.

I would also like to see UFC and Pride have separate orgainizations and get together maybe once a year for a superbowl mma type event. They still keep their organization titles, but fight for maybe a huge Pride like trophy, but especially for a big payday….that would motivate any top fighter.

15. to number 10. t. roberts comment i dont know wat ur talkin about because wanderlei got knocked out by vitor belfort and lost to tito ortiz.

16. ex Wanderlei fan says:

ufc buys out all the pride fighters and make them lose and look like ufc is better (crocop,wanderlei,shogun, and others all lose in ufc but fedor wil not fight for ufc but against ufc he will show them what power is

17. r u kinding me… if they r really fighters they wouldnt just get paid to lose u retard… i think they lose because of the cage and kicks to man on the ground and know knees if there is 4 points down.. i think they under estmate the ufc fighters.

18. Simplemente voy a decir..TITO ORTIZ