Mirko Cro Cop Considering Retirement After Loss to Dos Santos

cro cop mirko ufc_99

Former PRIDE FC champion Mirko Cro Cop might be looking for simpler life after getting destroyed by Junior Dos Santos, Saturday night in Dallas.

“Maybe the ones who have said that I’m done are right. Obviously, I can’t break my mental block in the Octagon. I have twenty years of training like a spartan behind me. It has caught up with me, my body is broken down. I’ve been worn out,”

“I’ve been living a military life for 20 years now. Getting up at 6 am and working hard physically until 8 p.m. I want a normal life. I’m entering a cage and thinking about fishing in Privlaka. You can’t win that way. Maybe I should have quit after I won the [Pride FC] Open Weight Grand Prix.”

“This was not the kind of performance the public pay for. I don’t feel the hunger anymore. I have started playing it safe, I’m not prepared to take risks. [Dos Santos] is younger, more hungry, more aggressive. He wanted to win a lot more.” [Croation NP via FightersOnly]

It will definitely be hard for Cro Cop to ever step into the Octagon again. Will the pressure of his “offer I can refuse” UFC contract keep the Croatian fighter motivated to fight or is it the end for Cro Cop.

Comments

1. i hope they offer Cro Cop one last fight…. with Randy.

2. Thats the end of Crop Cop unless he feels the hungar. Props to him for bowing out and realizing when to stop although in my opinion he should of stopped all together awhile ago like he stated. Nothing to be ashamed of at all, he had a great MMA career.

3. Yeah he had a great career. I don't really think we'll see him in the cage again.

4. thats to bad, i didn't think he would ever be champ but i was hoping he had a little more left either way he was great and thanks for all the great fights mirko.

5. shogun of Harlem says:

I really feel for the guy. This is a reality that comes to all of us. We get older and our bodies cannot recover like the younger guys. The wars that he fought in the ring have taken a toll on him.

Since he does not have that hunger anymore. I just wonder just curious how much longer Fedor is going to keep it up. I am sure seeing Cro Cop in his saga has got him thinking alittle.

Just a thought

6. i think if crocop did well in the ufc we would see fedor in the ufc. seeing crocop lose to up and comers and do so poorly has to weigh on fedor a little.

7. YOu can clearly see with the way he moves now that he's not the same fighter that he used to be. I love the CroCop in Pride, he was always ready to kick someone's head out in to the stands.

He will be missed, but I respect the fact that he feels it's time to hang up the gloves and be a family man.

No disrespect there, thank you for all the years of kicking ass, Mirko!

8. shogun of Harlem says:

I as well have alot of respect for Cro Cop. He is a great fighter. It says alot about someone that can admit it is time to retire. There is nothing worse than someone hanging around when they dont have it anymore.

I do not look down on the man for wanting to retire.

I agree with you ron shaw that Fedor seeing crocop lose to up and comers and doing so poorly in the UFC is making him thing.

If i remember correctly when He fought Nogueria and CroCop in Pride some if not all of those fights went to a decision.

Seeing CroCop and Nogueria's performance in the UFC is making Fedor maybe alittle leary of coming to the UFC.

Hey I could be wrong, it is just a thought. It makes one think that Fedor just wants to go out of top or he wants to keep that Legacy about him.

Whether i am right or wrong in my thinking. Fedor is a great fighter noone can argue that.

I believe once Lesnar gets more fights under him he will be a force to be wreckened with.

9. Win or Lose Lesnar is force now…

10. He is a shell of the man he was, and was on his heels all night from the opening "bell." He needs to just retire and go back to Croatia and get back into politics and enjoy the rest of his life. He was great for a while, but that time has passed. Time to go gracefully and leave now….with all due respect.

11. Definately no shame or disrespect to Cro Cop for knowing when to step down.

12. dane drebin says:

its sad but to be expected. Cro Cop has had tons of kick boxing fights and mma fights and he's getting old i dont blame him for being burnt out but he will go down as one of the greeatest strikers of all time. wouldnt mind seeing him have one last hoorah to go out with a crowd cheering for him. Randy or Nog would be good matches because3 neither have crazy striking. He got tore up in the ufc Against Gonzaga who has a lot of power, kongo who is a crazy good striker, and dos santos who is a beast striker. why not give him a break. if you put him in with a strong grappler he still could have interesting matches he just cant hang with the elite strikers anymore. His takedown defense is still pretty solid i bet. he defends 77 percent of all takedowns attepmted on him. he's a lot like chuck i think if they put chuck up against griffin, o'brien, bader (might KO chuck he's got power), franklin, schaffer, Bonnar, Coleman, Tito, hamill, matyushenko, Lil Nog, brian stan, or steve cantwell he might beat a lot of those guys and look good. both guys still have power and if they want to still fight can draw a crowd but i definetly wouldnt put their aging chins and slow reflexes up against any cream of the crop strikers anymore.

13. Yeah he is a world class kickboxer (as they mentioned when he entered on saturday) But he coudnt take out a average ufc striker?? was he really overrated? or is he over the hill. Chuckee boy was considered the deadliest striker and than he met some real competition and he got outclassed. I guess cro cop got outclassed

14. dane drebin says:

I also wonder wat his career would ahve looked at lately if him and Big Nog switched opponents since entering the ufc. they came in at the same time.

would Nog have done good against GG, Kongo, and Dos Santos?

i think cro cop could have done a lot better against Herring (who he's destroyed before), Sylvia (who i think he would chop down with leg kicks), Mir (could sub CC but his chin might not hold up and who knows if he could get the takedown) and Randy a fight we've all wanted to see.

15. dane drebin says:

Jay they are both old give them a break. Randy and coleman are still competitive because they rely on their wrestling with is a lot of technique and strength that doesnt go away as fast. Chuck and Mirko are strikers which u ahve to have fast reflexes and a chin both go away when u age.

16. Shogun of Harlem says:

Chuck Liddell and CroCop just need to retire. they were great fighters in their prime. They just got old. All that fighting, training, and what not has taken a toll on them. You cant stay young forever.

If Fedor has any plans on coming to the UFC he needs to do it soon as well. He is not getting any younger either.

I wonder how much more fighting Nogueria can take. You can look at that guy and see he has been in some wars.

I watched the old fights in pride where he fought Fedor. I thought fedor was going to beat that man to death.

17. yeah nog is 32 but looks lke he is 50 HA!

18. injuries plus time = no good.

Cro Cop is 35 now? hes old for a striker.

as Dane said Wrestlers don't really need to be young, it helps but technique is their strong point, along with controlling the fight.

its sad that Cro Cop isn't hungry and therefore thinking about quitting as i honestly don't believe that he would have won that fight anyways (Cro cop always loses against strikers!)

Cro cop is best against Wrestlers, therefore i'd like to see him take on someone like Randy. (its a good fight that i'd pay to see)

19. Shogun of Harlem says:

I hate to see great fighters retire. It is sad indeed. We wish they could fight forever.

I will hate the day when Anderson Silva retires.

20. just the truth says:

its funny to see how everyone baby this guy and to know that you fucks go off on people like kimbo or lesnar you guys truely are skin heads fuck all of you!

21. haha internet hard man i bet he typed that in while he was tuggin his self off

22. Herschal Walker says:

I can take Fedor. Gimmie a shot.

23. I can't see. Please stop the postings. I quit.

24. Bob Arum joined Cage today?