Mauricio Shogun Rua Undergoes Knee Surgery (Again)

UFC President Dana White announced that the current UFC light heavyweight champion Shogun Rua will have to wait while to defend his title. Rua has gone under the knife to repair a damaged knee for the third time!

“He had the surgery in L.A. He’s gonna do all his therapy in Vegas. So he’s gonna be in Vegas for the next five weeks,”

“He’s got a knee problem now, and he got it fixed,” White said, addressing the issue. He added, “He had a bad knee after the fight.” [MMAWeekly]

We might have to question his durability as a fighter, the guy cant seem to go a fight without having his knee scoped.

Comments

1. At least he finally got to step out of Wandy's shadow and win a title of his own since the 2005 GP.

Here's to hoping he recovers well.

2. BJJ Brown Belt says:

I have torn ligaments in both of my knees and once you tear the ligaments, miniscus, or patelar tendon, your knees will never be the same. If you have a good recovery, 90% of what they were is the best outcome but this should not permanently hold him back. I do not question his durability. It is just one of those things that he is going to have deal with for the rest of his career. He's gonna be OK.

3. AFRAIDOR MILLIONERKO says:

Agreed, but 90% is what you get with like a years worth of pt and babying it. Surgery, at least not yet, never gives you a reconnect as strong as the original ligaments. (acl, miniscus and oats plus graft procedure)That is why it took 15 to 20 years of training to first injure it and only a couple years to do it again…sad to say, but after the second, as long as he gets back in the cage- he will end up needing a third fourth and/or total replacement. is this gonna be another one and done champ?

4. CobraClutch says:

I betcha Dana will use this to set up another "interim championship" bout. Dana LOVES him some Interim Champions…and the extra money from putting "(Interim) CHAMPIONSHIP BOUT!!!" on the posters.

5. CobraClutch says:

Some ideas on the above, for the interim title:

Rashad Evans

vs.

Lil Nog/Bader/Bones

6. Oswald Gobblecock says:

Bader? He beat Jardine, let's not get ahead of ourselves here and I don't think Lil Nog deserves after his fight with Brillz. Bones is the only legit one I see there at this time. Too bad he has a pointless fight coming up.

7. Oswald Gobblecock says:

Rashad might have to wait while better match ups can be put together. Thiago and Bones are taking a step down in comp in their next fights. Forrest has been out with his shoulder. Chuck and Rich are both big names but pretty irrelevant at this point. Maybe give the winner a contender and Randy is busy with Toney but doesn't deserve a shot if he beats him. Let's not forget Rampage and Machida if they get back on the winning track. Hopefully they'll fight each other.

The LHW is a lil sketchy right now for this to happen but it wouldn't be this way if they made some better match ups.

8. you've got to have a killer leg kick if you get hurt when you throw it.

9. the spider will get the 205 belt soon.

10. Oswald Gobblecock says:

I agree. Silva should have stopped wasting time at MW after he beat Hendo.

11. CobraClutch says:

I know what you're saying, Oz, but there's literally no one else but Bader, per your points above. He's undefeated, and coming up. I agree that he's not ready, but like you stated above, no one else is ready, either. LHW is kind of a mess right now. You make good points on who isn't ready, but let us know who you would pick, then, because all I can come up with is Bader (I woulda said Jones, but who knows what their plans are with him).

I think Silva hung around because Machida had the belt, and he didn't want to contend. After he crushes Sonnen and beats Vitor, then he'll probably just move up and fight for the LHW vs whoever has it at the time. My 2 cents.