Matt Hughes: Not Going Out A Loser

In a recent article on UFC.com, Former UFC welterweight champion weighs in on his recent loss to Georges St. Pierre at UFC 79 and his bestselling book. Hughes states that he wants Serra after he loses to Georges St. Pierre.

On his Bestselling Book:

“I’m an athlete, not a writer,……..It’s nice to be able to say that (getting on the bestseller list), but my co-author, he totally flipped out about it — he said ‘this is like you winning the world title, for me to get on the bestseller list.’ He knows a lot of writers, and he doesn’t know anyone who’s been on the bestseller list. I am just amazed that we hit it, and maybe we can go from 21 to 19 or 18 next week.”

On his Comeback:

“I feel healthier now than I ever have, I’m really happy with my camp and who I’ve got, and I’ve got to put all the blame on me for that loss,” said Hughes of the St-Pierre fight. “I just didn’t go out there and do the things we worked on. I was hesitant and just wasn’t pulling the trigger like I should have. My camp got me in shape, I was ready to go, and I was just a little bit hesitant, so that’s on me, not on anybody else. So as healthy as I am and as much as I want to compete, I’m not going anywhere. First off, I would never retire off of a loss like that — never. Number two, I just feel super healthy…….I told (UFC President) Dana (White) that I might take a little time off to see my family and because I’m starting this new gym, the H.I.T. Squad, and I’m getting my clothing line out there,……..But I want to see Georges and Matt fight, and I told Dana that I’d probably like to fight Matt Serra after that fight. If Matt loses, I’ll be looking to fight him.”

Comments

1. Patrick89 says:

That's some of the best news I've heard in a while, I would love to see Hughes fight Serra. I don't care what he does after that as long as he comes back and finishes his buisness with that stupidass loudmouth. I know that Serra can be a tough opponent, but I think he will win this one with shear grit, he's pissed and he hates to lose. Great news!

2. Nate Haury says:

The wolrd of MMA fans heard some very good news today, when legendary welterweight Matt Hughes announced he will return to the octagon. After the Matt Serra vs. GSP fight we just might know who Matt Hughes's next opponent will be. If Matt Serra ia defeated by GSP then we will ge to see the grudge match from the Ultimate Fighter 6 reality series between Matt Hughes and Matt Serra, which I would love to see. Lets say Matt Serra wins, then what? I think a fight against Josh Koscheck would be a interesting fight for Hughes. All we can do is wait and see what transpires. What ever happens, expect a very focused Matt Hughes to be ready to claim victory once again.

3. You know Nate, you don't have to post your opinion like a news article. I mean, I'm not trying to tell you what to do. If it's in your blood, Cage Today will let you write articles for them for free. If you want to do something like that you should look into it. It's just funny the way you're doing it now. You're telling me that I heard good news today, right after I read the good news. If I can be constructive, it's just kind of corny.

4. Patrick89 says:

No disrespect Nate, but Joe's right. It's kinda funny actually.

5. Nate Haury says:

I'm just excited to hear that the Legend Matt Hughes has decieded to come back and give the fans what they want to see and thats a possible fight against Matt Serra. I like both these guys and I think it will be a great fight if it happens. The build up to this fight will off the chain. These two guys hate eachother and want to prove who is the better fighter. If it does'nt happen then I want to see Matt Hughes kick Josh Koshecks ass and show him who the better wrestler really is. Hughes would school Koschek.

6. Patrick89 says:

I think it would be a good matchup but Hughes would come out on top if he were to fight Kos. Kos has picked up some skill since he has been in the sport but he is still primarily a wrestler. Hughes is also still primarily a wrestler but his standup has improved at least compared to Kos and is more capable of submissions. I just really need to see Hughes stomp a hole in Serra's ass, this one has been on the burner since TUF 4, and I can't wait.

7. I didn't mean any disrespect either. I'm just as excited for this fight. I agree with Nate about Koscheck getting so much credit for his wrestling capabilities. He may have better wrestling credentials but that doesn't necessarily make him a better wrestler. Yet everyone constantly gives him the credit of being a better wrestler. Look at GSP. NO CREDENTIALS in wrestling, and he can outwrestle Hughes and Kos. Anyway, I think Matt Hughes is going to beat Matt Serra. I do however think Matt Serra has better stand up. Hughes better stick to his game plan.

8. i am excited for that fight as well,why does he only want him if he loses though is it because if serra still the champ(witch i dout) he is not next for a title shot?i say hughes vs serra should happen even if serra wins.

9. Two things that realy affect a fighter is a big ko loss, and a tough back injury. If Serra is even the slightest bit weary of his back this fight will not be competitive. Not to mention a fighter always targets and test a weak point of another fighter. Serra's back will be in Huges mind. Not to hurt him but to get another advantage

10. Not only does GSP have great wrestling but he does have credentials. He was trying out for the Canadian Olympic Team in wrestling. He probably could have made it too but this title fight came up and he wouldnt pass up that chance.

I knew Hughes wouldn't go out on a loss. I remember in TUF when he lost in bowling he was all pissy and didn't even want to stay and hang out, he just walked away and barely said anything. Thats what I love and hate about the guy, he is one of the most competitive guys out there and it makes him tough but also a dick.

11. your right realwun his drive is what makes him great and what makes him a dick.

12. I hate Matt Hughes, he's a cocky prick…but he is an excellent fighter who has proved himself time after time and i believe he will beat Matt Serra fairly easy…should be a good fight tho

13. dane drebin says:

if matt serra wins he shouldnt fight hughs im tired of the only three in the welterweight championship scene being hughes, gsp, serra…. its time for people like fitch and karo to get their chanc u cant expect them to keep winning non stop for years and years and when they finally lose one for their title hopes to be gone it pisses me off

14. yeah i want to see hughes vs serra but i guess there alot of worthy fighters that have been waiting for there shot,it probally won't matter cause serra will lose(most likely) and the belt won't be held up for them to fight and gsp can move on to karo or fitch.

15. dane drebin says:

i think gsp will win and he will move on to fitch hopefully and matt will face matt. but i have to say being only 5'8 i was very happy when the little guy in serra won the fight against george. he reminds me of myself in a way because im small but compact and strong and i think he is a really cool underdog to root for. if he loses to gsp tho i think he should go back to 155 i think he would do really well and be a contender to the title almost immediatly

16. If Serra wins that will shake everything up again. With all the hype on TUF, I want to see the Serra / Hughes grudge match. I personally think that they will give Karo the next title shot if he wins Alves. The reason is that Fitch is getting a last minute replacement fighter so I don't think that looks as impressive. I can't wait to see GSP shut Karo up, that guy talks too much about how great he is.

17. Yup, Karo is next for a title shot if he wins Thiago Alves. If he doesn't and Fitch wins, he get the title shot. Hughes probably wont fight for the title again if he only has one or two fights left in him.

18. lets see hmmm? matt going to leave after he kicks a lucky nobodys ass in sera . what a dickhead

19. dane drebin says:

i think it would be awesome if serra knocked hughes out

20. I'd like to see that too. I think there's a greater chance of that than people think. By the way Realwon, what I meant by "credentials" I was refering to GSP's background. The olympics was pretty recent. GSP does not have a wrestling background.

21. Personaly I think Hughes is an extremely boring fighter… and from what I have seen he has no stand up against the magority of fighters in the UFC welterweight division I was really pleased when GSP finished him!

I do respect the guys achievements… but he's not a legend to me… simply because I think his style is a bore… I think if he had fought in Pride he would have had less success as the refs stood you up quick if it was not exiting/progressing on the floor!

A good example of what I mean is the Hughes v Lytle fight… it was just 15 mions of Hughes holding Chris down… I found it very boring and I was frustrated for Chris Lytle!

I know that this is a contraversial point of veiw… but I hope Serra kicks his ass!

22. Matt Hughes is finished…at this point he could not fight his way out of a wet paper bag. GSP gave him a beating and so will Serra…unless Hughes is too scared to face Serra and retires. Hughes is a punk anyway

23. Hughes had his time. No doubt about it Hughes is an excellent grappler but this is MMA and his style is boring. I loved watching BJ Penn beat on and almost choke out Hughes before falling prey to poor conditioning. I think Matt Serra's excellent jiu jitsu and heavy hands would give Hughes more than he could handle.