Lyoto Machida vs Mauricio “Shogun” Rua Likely For Sept or Oct

mauricio shogun rua

Inside Fights has the scoop:

We can now 100% confirm that Lyoto Machida vs. Mauricio “Shogun” Rua is the plan for the next light heavyweight title fight. We haven’t pinned down an exact date or card, but it will take place in September or October.

Quinton Rampage Jackson dropped the chance at fighting Machida for the title, so that he could coach TUF 10.

Shoguns impressive KO of Chuck Liddell and Machida’s destruction of Rashad Evans sets this fight up to be a war between two Brazilians with top notch striking skills.

Comments

1. fedor24 says:

The old shogun is back. He can beat machida. great matchup.

2. Cobra Clutch says:

REALLY? Shogun? This is the top Light Heavyweight contender? REALLY? I say Machida by KO. Then the winner of Evans/Rampage will probably be next. Machida by KO/Decision again there. Then…I think Silva would have to step up to go for the LHW title, but he won't do it against Machida, so there's no one really for Machida to fight. The UFC needs more fighters. Look at the top 10 for LHW and HW…the top 10 is kinda week. Middleweight, Welterweight, and Lightweight is where it's at for MMA right now.

3. there is plenty of guys at 205 for him to fight, rampage i guess didn't want his title back like he said so who is available right now i guess shogun was.i wish shougn got in a few more fights to make sure he was in shape and felt comfortable in the cage but i am sure if they asked him to fight he would not say no, i hope its not to early for him to beat machida.

4. what is the ufc doing the fights r just random anyone v anyone… i know why not put kyle bradley vs brock lesnar they both won there last fight, i mean c,mon the no.1 contender should fight for the title, and should want to fight for the title not just give it all up to get there face on tv, not saying shogun aint a contender but he aint earnt a shot yet, gettin sik of the ufc its all abit to showbis mma is a great sport dont ruin it

5. great Matchup i dont really understand what the hell you guys are talking about for one shogun is the only fighter in that division who could give Matchita any sort of competition . he is truly being under rated by UFC fans , who base his only lose in his first fight against Griffin as a bad performance , without knowing he had a knee ligament injury going into that fight and was'nt 100% . but let me state this If Rampage is not in consideration because of this Reality show and Griffin is fighting Silva who else is left .dont forget Shogun was ranked #1 at 205 just a couple of years ago

6. dane drebin says:

lol cobra clutch wtf are u talking about? the 205 division is the most stacked division the ufc has by far. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more than the 185 division.

Guys like Rampage, Rashad, Shogun, Griffin, Jones, Franklin, Jardine, liddell, Cane, Thiago Silva, Cantwell, Vera, Hamill and also wand & hendo who fight in both weight classes are all monsters that have the ability to win the title with a good shot. the 205 division's title changes hands more than any other division because it is so competitive and there are so many good fighters. thanks tho i had a good laugh that was probably the most rediculous thing ive heard on here in a long time. Ask anyone whos anyone in the ufc and they will tell u the 205 division is the most stacked for sure.

I dont think shogun is ready for machida yet but i think his style is the one that seems like he could give machida problems. Rampage took the pussy way out imo to fight rashad. He fears the dragon as well he should.

7. Hey Dane Drebin i never said it was'nt a stacked Division , but clearly you have to ask yourself why it is that none of these fighters are considered for a fight with Matchida .

8. Andre it is a business. I dont have to ask myself anything. I know why they did this. A Rampage vs Rashad fight will sell huge right now. Even after Evans just got KO'd. They dont want to see Rampage get KO'd yet. He still in a lot of peoples eyes looks like he could give Machida a match. They are gonna make money from 2 fights now. Rashad V. rampage & Shogun vs Machida. This is a smart move by the ufc and I am looking forward to both fights. I think its a good idea.

9. dane drebin says:

i never said anything to you andre lol. hence my writting "lol cobra clutch wtf are u talking about?"

cobra clutch said "there’s no one really for Machida to fight. The UFC needs more fighters. Look at the top 10 for LHW and HW…the top 10 is kinda week. Middleweight, Welterweight, and Lightweight is where it’s at for MMA right now."

how in the hell is middleweight where its at? Anderson has cleaned out the division to the point where they are making him fight 205'ers. his last two fights were against cote and thales for fucks sake. Get real machida is amazing but he hasnt even defended the title yet.

10. dane drebin says:

comparing the quality of fighters in 205 to 185 is laughable in more ways than one period.

11. HAHHA what a fucking joke..It should be Jardine if not Forrest or Jackson…Or the winner of Rich vs Silva

12. I love what Fador24 said at top hahaha Fucking retard

13. Shogun is not the same fighter he once was, Machida by murder.

14. ron shaw says:

jackson dropped out and if i was picking i would go with shogun too. its going to be a bad ass fight. i feel bad for jardine because he's been climbing that ladder for so long in the ufc but i'd rather see this fight.

15. Tom I agree that this is going to be a good fight. I dont think Machida is gonna smash him like you think. We will see but I really think Shogun is very well rounded and he can beat Machida. It really IMO depends on how in shape he is for the fight. No way in heck Jardine should get a shot over Shogun. Jardine is coming off of a loss. Shogun is coming off of 2 wins and he has that resume he brings into the fight as well. Jardine would not do anything against Machida. Is he really going to avoid getting clipped by Machida for 5 rounds? b/c I dont see him KOing machida or submitting him lol. Outpointing him nope. We seen Tito put Machida in a very tight triangle and almost put machida to sleep. I think that if tito can do that Shogun sure as heck can sub him. Shogun also has great kicks and I think unlike rashad. He can keep distance and kick with Machida. Machida is a beast though. It will be a good fight IMO and im excited.

16. Cobra Clutch says:

Hahaha. Leave it up to MMA fans to get all immature like their favorite show TUF. Dane, if you disagree with an opinion, then state your own opinion and your beliefs. No one is right or wrong. It's all personal opinions. However, when you start swearing like a high school kid and criticizing others for their opinions you actually disqualify any chance you had of being taken seriously. Why make it personal and negative if it's just an opinion on whether we feel or don't feel that there's enough competition for Machida. Are you related to these guys or something to take such a minor post so personally offensive? hahaha. Chill out, man…there's a crappy economy and nukes in North Korea. It's all good, man. We're all on the same team here, team MMA.

Smiles: :)

17. Cobra Clutch says:

So, let me break down my reasoning for you all. If you guys would like to learn how to post, then read Nichole and Steve's posts. They state their opinions without acting like children or swearing at people. But I digress….

How I came up with what I said was not only based on me watching the fighters (which I, nor anyone here, admittedly, is an expert), and also by looking at their performances against each other, and who's top 10 in rank according to their weight class.

Light Heavyweight. Champ Machida. Who else is a challenge for him? Rampage got beat by Griffin and has a very similar game plan as Evans who just got worked by Machida. Griffin got KO'ed by Evans. Silva got KO'ed by Rampage. Jardine is not championship calibur fighter (lost 3 out of last 5, and to Rampage and Wandy). That leaves us pretty much with Shogun, who lost to Griffin then beat up two aging has-beens (sorry guys, but it's true). That leaves me with my original question…REALLY? There's no one up to Machida's level? No, in my opinion there is not.

Middleweight: Champ is Silva. Henderson needs to KO Bisping for him to be a contender in my opinion. Once he does that, then I think he's tops and ready for the title. Losses to Silva already, though, and to Rampage make him not the first choice, but he's on the way back up once/if he beats Bisping. Love him or hate him, if Bisping beats Henderson, then he's the top Middleweight contender hands down, only having lost a decision to Evans, but looking real good once he dropped down. Throw in an improving Marquardt and you have a pretty good division there. If Silva wasn't so super-human, that would be pretty well-stacked towards the top.

Welterweight and Lightweight: Without boring you with two more divisions using the same logic, let me throw out names instead of improving or contender/champion fighters: St. Pierre, Penn, Florian, Alves, Fitch, Swick, Condit, Maynard.

I don't know…I think I made good points with logic. But I'm not Dana White, so what do I know, right? :D

18. dane drebin says:

bro im gunna keep it short and simple and not use any potty mouth for ya ;)

Machida is awesome and i think he will be champ for awhile. That doesnt make his division Weak. It makes him an amazing fighter. the reason the 205 division is crazy and everyone is getting knocked out is BECAUSE ITS SO STACKED. Machida is an awesome fighter and i said he would destroy rashad and i dont think anyone will figure him out for awhile. However he still has a lot of good fighters he could fight. Rampage, Shogun, Henderson, Cane, the list goes on and on. Tons of interesting matchups. The rankings are always changing because their are so many great fighters. Who exactly do u think they should bring in to fight machida? dont u think thats a little premature seeing as he hasnt even defended his title yet let alone cleaned out his division? the 205 division is the most competitive division in the ufc thats pretty obvious to anyone seeing as the title changes all the time.

Lightweight never defends the title so its not worth talking about.

HW is getting better but still not as good as 205

WW is dominated by GSP.

Middleweight has been straight cleaned out. Facts are facts u cant deny that they have put every top contender against silva and its been pathetic. Hendo got owned. They threw Franklin at him twice and now he's changing weight classes over it. Nate the so called great is gunna be the same result if they fight again. And you cant possibly think that if bisping somehow gets past hendo that he will even make it competitive. They are making anderson fight 205 because everyones tired of seeing cote's and thales get title shots because the division is so weak.

Really man I think you are on ur own thinking that the middlewieght division is "where its at". Your point sounds stupid to me in many ways seeing as there are tons of top quality opponents that could fight for the 205 title while all you could think of for MW is Hendo, Bisping and Nate who all ready got destroyed inside a round. i would go so far as to say its the weakest division in the ufc.

19. dane drebin says:

i guess i didnt keep it short and sweet at all but damn man hearing you say middleweight is where its at when the two top contenders lately have been cote and thales is so rediculous it blows my mind.

20. i just lost all respect for rampage. what kind of pussy would not want a title shot. he obviously is scared of lyoto and knows he would be KO'd so he is passing it up and using the excuse to coach is BS as he already did that before. i hope he never gets another chance to get a title and the ufc should not offer it again. this will haunt im and if he loses to rashad that will look good on him. Fuck he pissed me off.

21. I agree with jake about Rampage not taking a title fight. I forgot to mention that. I mean he is 35 fights into his career and he thinks he is in his prime and he turns down a title fight. I dont know if he is scared or not but it sure as heck looks that way to me. He use to be my favorite fighter along with Wandy b/c of there attitudes. They seemed like they would never turn down a fight or backdown from anyone. But after this I have lost respect as well as Jake and a lot of other people.

22. Jack not Jake***

23. You are al wrong, Rampage is a fighter and stubborn he wants to fight Evans and beat him around before he gets his title shot because there is no guarentee that if he did fight Machida and Win or lose that he would then fight Evans…so his best route is to hold off on the shot train his skills to be better overall for the next 9months fight Evans and if he wins then probably 3-5 months later he will then fight for the title and be in much better overall shape and skills will be better…think about it he wants time to prepare to fight Machida he isnt afraid of him he just wants time to prepare and develop his skills more and what better way to do that and in the meantime beat the living hell out of Evans…But you always have to think about if somehow he loses in December to Evans then that puts him at least 2-3 wins away from a title shot…but i think its a smart move as Evans is now back at the bottom of the pile and has to work his way up so lets say Rampage did take the tittle fight and beat machida…then he would have to wait till Evans wins his next 4 fights…Bottom line you cant forsee the future and you have to take oppurtunites when they arrive…Rampage chose to fight Evans instead of having a titile fight…lets see if that was a good decision later this year….Rampage is gambling with the thought he will beat Evans and be next in line for a shot..lets see if that works out for him.

24. the problem i have with rampage not taking the fight is the day before he is on video saying he dosn't care who wins that he is coming for his title. now that changes after one day? he could go for the title first rashad will be there, there is no gaurentee that a title shot will be so how can you pass a title shot? if he lost to machida they would give him rashad for a bad blodd fight no problem if he loses to rashad he is back in a long line for a title shot.

also i agree that shogun has the best chance of beating machida i just hope he is ready.

25. Cobra Clutch says:

I actually said "Middleweight, Welterweight, and Lightweight" is where it's at right now. Meaning the middle of the pack as far as weights go. I don't think the heavier divisions are as stacked as the middle divisions (that's plural…more than one division), and since the lights have moved over to the WEC, then that's about all that's left in the UFC. Since you're going to quote me, you should probably not take anything out of context. But it's all good.

26. Cobra Clutch says:

Also, I did say "for MMA", too, not just UFC, but you will read whatever you want to read, huh?…man, you really get worked up over this stuff, calling me stupid and everything? Is everyone who doesn't agree with you an idiot? I would hate to work with you, and can't imagine what girl would want to be around you. Must be pretty sad walking around all day being so "right" that the rest of the world is moronic for having a different opinion. It's just an opinion on a post, dude. Chill. hahaha.

27. Nichole Lesniak says:

Cobra, if I've learned one thing in here, it's that logic just doesn't work on everyone! lol

28. dane drebin says:

Actually u did say UFC heres ur exact sentence that you wrote bud "The UFC needs more fighters. Look at the top 10 for LHW and HW…the top 10 is kinda week."

all right cool u wrote back saying i get worked up and didnt answer any of my questions again so ill ask them one more time.

Who exactly do u think they should bring in to fight lyoto?

Im just stating my oppinion on a website where we state oppinions and my oppinion is that urs is stupid ;)

29. dane drebin says:

and how is coping and pasting exactly what yoyu wrote taking it out of context?

30. i don't get what you mean by using logic nichole? dane is dead right the lhw devision is the deepest most talented devision in the world.

31. dane drebin says:

thanks roy i thought i was taking crazy pills nice to see someone with a brain post. i can count the elite fighters in the MW division on one hand. The LHW Division is three times as deep.

32. Nichole Lesniak says:

I wasn't arguing about the content of the posts. All the points are a matter of opinion, like Cobra said. Some people just refuse to believe that their opinion isn't the ONLY right one.

33. fedor24 says:

Tom "I love what Fador24 said at top hahaha Fucking retard"

We shall see.

34. other derek says:

shogun doesn't impress me …. kinda like fedor well we will see

35. Cobra Clutch says:

Dane, it's obvious you're just an asshole. Yeah…that's my opinion. hahaha. This post has exhausted it's usefulness. I'm sure I'll see your personal insults on another one real soon. Until then…have fun telling everyone around you how wrong and stupid they are because they don't agree with you. I'm sure you'll make tons of friends that way…at least ones without "half a brain" anyways. ;)

36. dane drebin says:

NICE WORK! Focused on the personal stuff again and said nothing to back up ur argument or prove ur point in any way just like the last one and still found time to dance around answering the the two simple questions i asked. U act like all Im posting is calling you names. I wrote a million facts that blew urs out of the water and then said i think ur oppinion is stupid once. get over it. All you do is whine about how im immature i am instead of actually debating ur oppinion or all the facts that there are a WAY better fighters in 205 than in 185.

I think its funny how u commented a few comments back "If you guys would like to learn how to post, then read Nichole and Steve’s posts." when Steve calls you out all the time and says how retarded half the things you say are. Me and steve disagree on a lot of topics, have gotten into it on here many times and called eachother every name in the book. Never once has it hurt my feelings or ruined my day because we agree on a lot of topics and know its the internet not the disney channel. I thought this was a website where we talk about FIGHTING i didnt realize it was church i'll tone down the language.

37. Cobra Clutch says:

You're absolutely right, Dane. Steve and Nichole hate everything I post, and you are always right. As a matter of fact, this site should change from Cage Today to "Dane Drebin's MMA Blog" and just have postings and ideas from you, because you're always correct. Oh, and those who agree with you, too…they can post their opinions, because everyone else are assholes, stupid, or have half a brain. Silly stupid me…I should really learn my lesson.

38. Cobra Clutch says:

Oh, and one last thing…if you think anything you every said, say, or do could ever hurt my feelings, you're gravely mistaken. But then again, since you know everything already, there's no point to try to teach you anything, because you already know it all!

39. dane drebin says:

40. dane drebin says:

lol

41. Tim you just called us all wrong lol. How the heck do know we are all wrong? Come on now. Rampage is side stepping Machida b/c Machida looks real scary right now. Im sure he wil want to fight Machida after somebody beats Machida lol. He wants "HIS" title back so bad he turned down a fight to get it to avenge an arguement that the UFC started with them? Come on now seriously. The ufc made rashad go in and stare him down after his fight. They never even had talked smack to eachother before that. So I think your wrong. Everything rampage says about being the best goes against what he did. Turned down a fight to fight the best fighter in 205 atm. To fight a guy who just got KO'd. He sees that rashad can be hurt and now he is gonna jump all over it. He is taking the bitch way out and you have got to see that. We all do. The only one that doesnt is you and I think its more likely your wrong and we are all right. Just my opinion. I dont talk to rampage is person nor do I know him so I cant say what his reasons are but everything I know points to him not wanting to fight Machida.

Mousasi is going upto 205. He doesnt want to stay at 185 anymore. 205 is the deepest division by far and LW is pretty weak. There is no clear top dwag besides BJ who doesnt even want to fight at 155 b/c there is no big names.

42. Tim, not to mention, they would fight regardless. If Rampge beat Machida, they would give the next title shot to Rashad, guaranteed, and if Rampage lost to Machida, then the grudge match between Rampage and Rashad would happen. How do you not see this? If it is not fighters that are heavy favorites, they rely on anger between the two fighters to fuel the fire. They probably won't top Hughes/Serra as far as grudge matches go though, not anytime too soon.

43. Hey Steve, how wierd is it to not be the one being attacked? And how the hell do you guys make those smiley faces? It may sound gay, but I kind of want to make them too….

44. Nichole Lesniak says:

lol @ Ryan

45. dane: "And dont you think they should be more focused on Bringing in guys like vitor or mousasi to fight anderson?

I agree 100% with this statement…..

Machida hasn't even defended his title, let him fight some of the top guys in the LHW division to prove his domination there!!! then we can start talking about how stacked or unstacked the LHW's are.

the UFC should look at bringing in vitor and mousasi, not only to fight anderson, but to ugrade the division that has been seriously picked apart by Silva.

My ponit is Machida hasn't beaten everyone, A.Silva has, therfor the focus should be on getting quality challengers for Silva…..Let Machida do his thing..

this is only an opinion ( i feel that i need to state that so i don't get virtually choked out)

46. im glad that this is the way that things went down. I'd rather see rashad get KO'd again, by rampage this time, then see rampage get picked apart by machida. I will also agree on the that stylistically machida and rua are a good matchup. i do have a problem with shogun getting a title shot though. some might say he is capable of beating machida, i dissagree. but besides that, what has he done in the ufc, honestly. he 1) lost to forrest griffin 2) had a TERRIBLE performance with mark coleman. and 3) KO'd a now old and retired Chuck Liddell. To me, that doesnt seem deserving of a title shot. And for that the Ufc is a little out of wack. I do respect him for stepping up and taking the fight after rampage clearly bitched out, though. I just dont think hes ready for machida. I do agree that the middleweight category is in desperate need of some new fighters though, the LHW division has enough to last Machida a while.. as said above he hasnt beat everyone and just because i/we think he most definately will still doesnt mean he has. all and all though im excited for these two fights, more so then if we would just be seeing rampage and machida because i have a feeling that would go VERY similar to the last machida fight.

47. dane drebin says:

Agree with everything you said Elbowz because its common sense that not everyone posses here

48. If the shogun in Pride shows up and is in top condition than Machida will have his hands full. How is Machidas cardio? we dont know. But still I think Machida is a Tactician and will beat shogun. Machida is all tactics and he is good at everything else in MMA.

49. I know Rampage isnt scared of Machida. Its all about the money.

50. dane drebin says:

i'd be willing to bet everything i own that machidas cardio is better than shoguns. machida trains with anderson and anderson just went 25 minutes without breaking a sweat. Shogun gassed in the second against coleman. I will be rooting for shogun but i wouldnt bet on him and he better bring his A game.