Its Official: Ortiz vs. Machida at UFC 85

ufc 85 tito ortiz vs dana white

For the past two weeks rumors have been circulating that Tito Ortiz was offered a fight against the undefeated Shotokan specialist Lyoto Machida. It’s official now, the “Huntington Beach Bad Boy” has accepted the match for UFC 85 (May 25th in Las Vegas, Nevada), but is not thrilled with they UFC’s choice in opponent. In his interview with FightNetwork.com, Tito talks about his disappointment.

I was expecting a bigger fight. I think the fans were expecting a bigger fight. I got pressed into it, and all of a sudden, it’s all over the Internet that Tito Ortiz won’t fight Machida. I’m just looking to get my final fight over with the UFC…. They said I wasn’t worth the money. I was worth no more than what I’m getting paid now, and I’m not a commodity to them anymore. I’m not as viable to them anymore. That was a sign of disrespect…. With [UFC President Dana White] in charge, I don’t think that fight will ever happen for me. Dana has bad blood for me and nothing but bad blood.

UFC is caring so much about the brand itself. They could care less about the fighters. Fighters are a dime a dozen. They’ll keep coming. Dana is really out for himself and the company. He doesn’t give a shit about the fighters. They’re going to try and ruin me.

With only one fight left on his contract, Tito’s words open up the possibility that this may be the last time we see him fight for the UFC.

Comments

1. I think the real reason Tito is mad to be fighting Machida is because he is a bad matchup. Machida is elusive and seems to easily control the octogon on the ground and standing. For Tito to say Machida is below him is a joke. Not only is the guy undefeated, but he beat Sokoju who was considered a huge prospect from Pride. Machida has won other great fighters like BJ Penn (who he did a flying headstomp on), Rich Franklin (pretty much dominated Franklin), and Steffen Bonner. If Tito is serious about being a contender for the title he should be happy to take this fight.

2. What was he expecting…a title fight??? Man up Tito. I guess he wanted to take an easier fight, get a win, and renegotiate his contract. Sorry bud, no easy fights for you. The UFC does want to see if your worth the money or if you lost all ambition to be a great fighter.

3. dane drebin says:

i think titos just pissed that he hasnt faught a big well known name lately and thinks the ufc is trying to throw him to the wolves and have guys make a name off of him. i think since this is his last fight on his contract he is going to train his ass off so if he leaves he leaves with a win and kinda screw the ufc over. i think titos not in it anymore and will soon retire but i respect what he has done in the sport and he's always entertaining to watch. if ur name isnt randy couture or chuck lidell he can really give u some problems. i would like to see him go fight frank shamrock and see how that fair against eachother. i actually think tito is a bad matchup for machida and if machida wins he deserves a fast track to a title shot

4. I get what you're saying and I think your right. He does want a well known name. But how do you get there when you accept a quick rematch with Ken Shamrock after beating him quickly. Then in his comeback from a title loss, he fights Rashad and looks pretty horrible for most of the fight. After that he wasn't opposed to a rematch there either unless I missed an interview somewhere. I miss the old Ortiz too but I really haven't seen him in a while. How can you not want to fight Machida. They guy has title momentum and if Tito wins he can take that for himself.

5. what bigger fight? i know he doesnt want to fight chuck and get his ass embarassed again….i think he wanted shogun probably because he thought he could overpower him like forrest did. but guess again, shogun was not himself. my guess is that he would have tito tapping in the first round.

6. Patrick89 says:

Tito was my favorite fighter when I first started watching this sport, and he still is one of my favorite fighters. Although he says some things that contradict his actions sometimes and is not the big draw he once was he still is a good fighter who can pose problems for alot of other guys in the division. His biggest problem is that his confidence is shot and he goes into fights not prepared mentally. The Tito of old was very confident and that is when he was at his best. He may look and act confident, but anybody who's watched him in the past knows that it is a facade and just a shadow of his former self. Even though the sport is starting to pass him by I think that if he could regain a little of what he used to have he could have some good fights before he decides to call it quits.

7. Tito has been good for the sport… he is a real character. I hated him up until I saw him as a couch on TUF 3, after that I warmed to him. It would be a shame to see him get beat in a lackluster performance and then disapear out of the UFC/Sport forever!

I agree with Patrick89, his confidence is shot! He should have battered Rashad Evans!

A little off topic… can anyone tell me why the UFC has never talked about doing a Pride Style Grand Prix… a different weight class every year over three events.

Imagine a LHW Grand Prix with the following fighters… it would be amazing!!!

Quinton Jackson

Stephan Bonner

Sockojou

Alistair Overeem

Ricardo Arona

Brandon Vera (at 205)

That would be cool!

8. Tito is just being Tito here. Machida is going to beat Tito, even if Tito comes completely prepared and 100%. Tito is complaining about the UFC saying he wasn't worth the money, or he wasn't worth more than what he makes, or he's not a commodity or viable or whatever else. That would only be a real problem if it wasn't true. Tito is not the fighter he once was and that's that. It shouldn't matter to him too much. By the way he talks, he's soon moving to bigger and better things anyway. He's done very well for himself. I do however think that since Tito is not one of Dana's golden boys, it negatively impacts Tito's MMA career. I hate to say it but we've all seen it with other fighters as well.

9. I believe Lyoto will win, but i think Tito is right about what he said about the UFC. They do treat their fighters like shit and call them out publicy. Tito may not be able to bring it like he used to but that doesn't mean the UFC can say anything they want and disrepect a grown man…I'm really begining to hate Dana (and already Tito) and the way he's runnning the UFC

10. i have never been a tito fan but at one point he was the ufc's biggest star and helped them get where they are if he was one of danas boys he would be promoted completely different.if they let him go he will be picked up quickly be another company,he is not the fighter he was but can still beat alot of people in his weight class.its just another bad decision by the ufc and shows how they treat there veterans that helped them get where they are.

11. If he loses the UFC will try to undercut him on a new contract. He would be better off leaving and joining EliteXC or M1. He is a great coach so maybe there could even be a Team Punishment in the IFL.

12. I think I'm pretty excited for this matchup. I never liked Ortiz till TUF3 and I thought Machida was boring until his last fight. I hope the fight is as good as I think it can be.

13. Patrick89 says:

Machida's pretty methodical and calculating and usually waits on the other opponent before he really gets into the fight and we all know what Tito's bread and butter is. Tito will stand for a couple of minutes and then shoot in for a takedown and based on whether Machida can defend it will decide how the rest of the fight goes. If Tito doesn't get the take down off the bat his gameplan is severely diminished and he will start to lose confidence resulting in the fight staying mostly in Machidas world which could possibly make for a slow and boring fight. Tito is not a very aggresive striker, but if he gets the first takedown and manages to inflict some damage he will be more confident resulting in him being more aggressive during the fight. Although I would love to see this as an exciting fight it has all the possibilities to be a boring one.

14. Would you not be pissed that Forrest gets a title shot after Ultimate Fighter concludes with Rampage. Maybe Tito may not deserve it, but come on Forrest please who's butt did he kiss to get it. Even Rashad Evans deserves one before Forrest.

15. i like forest but i agree i did not think he should be next in line for a title shot just for beating shogun,he needed one more win to deserve it.

16. especially coming off the loss to jardine. I love Forrest but Jackson is gonna fucking work him

17. Yeah, I think that's kind of messed up. Forrest got knocked out by Jardine, wins a couple of fights and all of the sudden he's top contender. Granted he did submit Shogun, but I think Shogun took him pretty lightly, and his other win was a nonexciting decision over a nobody. This is all just a ploy by Dana White to promote TUF and in turn gain more viewers for the UFC. I like Forrest and think he is a good fighter, but there are a couple of others at least that deserve a title shot before him.

18. sadly, i think tito will lose to machida. machida is undefeated for a reason, and he's beaten quite a caliber of guys — from sokoju to franklin to bj penn to bonnar to the list goes on. he might not look very muscular like brock lesnar or very scary like wanderlei silva, but he gets the job done.

19. i really hope tito wins but idk machida is lokking great in his last fight but idk tito is going to taking him down and for for him the hole time its going to be a great fight

20. dane drebin says:

ya i think it will be an awesome fight

21. Tito it's time to move on, you're not one of Dana's boys and you will still be a big draw elsewhere. Good Luck

22. Tito will get spanked like i spanked hector21's sister.

23. Hey hammer12 don’t forget to mention how she Bitch slapped you

24. who was tito expecting to fight anyway? he even turned down the rematch with rashad evans! and i would consider him to be on the lower end of the light heavy division. tito blew his tito shot against liddell, looked crappy in his following fights, and now complains that he is fighting machida, who is now ranked in the top 10 LHW in the world??? tito should stick to what he knows best — celebrity apprentice and jenna jameson.

25. Nate Haury says:

After a very weak ppv at UFC:80, I have to say im really looking forward to UFC:81. Who does'nt want to see how Brock Lesnar will fair in the UFC heavyweight division? I do admit I would rather of seen Fedor vs. Couture for the heavyweight belt, but Sylvia vs. Minataro is the next best thing. Add Jeremy Horn vs. Nate Marquartte and you have a very solid card at the top.

26. Nate Haury says:

I looking forward to seeing how Nate Diaz does tonight against a very tough opponent in Alvin Robinson. Should be Nate's toughest fight yet. Patrick Cote needs another impressive win tonight like his last one against Kendall Grove, but it won't be easy. Also, can Mike Swick tear threw the welterweight division like he started out doing as a middleweight? Tonight Josh Burkman poses a true test for Swick to awnser.

27. Nate Haury says:

Will Tito Ortiz be FIRED "twice" in 2008? The first being on the ever popular Celebrity Aprentice and the other after he fights his last fight and loses to a class act fighter like Machida. Tito Ortiz is one the the most recognized faces in MMA and will go down as one of the best all-time, but he seems to be losing focus on MMA and drifting into other ventures. What happened to the most loved and at the same time the most hated MMA fighter there was?

28. Patrick89 says:

Nate I totaly agree with you on most of what you said except that UFC 80 was weak. That was a more exciting PPV for me to watch than the last 2 combined with all its TKOs and KOs. It didn't have as many huge names but to an avid fan who is familiar with everybody and not just big names it was a very good one to watch.

29. yeah ufc 80 turned out to be a good night of fighting.

30. dane drebin says:

i agree ufc 80 was the best paperview in awhile

31. i wish they didnt post the fights before the fight happend

32. dane drebin says:

true that its too hard not to look when u know everyone else knows who won lol i hate it

33. comment 11 morey what a genius. a team punishment in the IFL would be badass. Im sure the IFl would want a great coack like tito and one that can still fight like he can

34. Tito will either catch him, or lose hands down.

35. Team punishment is a great idea too. Just not a huge fan of the IFL

36. There will never be a team punishment in the IFL. There team thing is over because of the athletic commission corruption. The commision would not let fighters fight certain fighters. This was such a burden to the ifl. This will only work if the ufc starts a team organization because they have control over all commissions.

37. Machida is gonna win this by split decision

38. i think mahida will win and i am not a tito fan but i will pull for him in this one probally the first time i ever wanted to see him win.