Greg Jackson Breaks Out The Facts To Counter Dana White Criticism

MMA trainer Greg Jackson,

“Here’s a quick stat for you. So there’s been 22 [UFC events] this year? We had 12 bonuses so far this year … one out of every two, one of my fighters got Submission of the Night, Knockout of the Night, or Fight of the Night.”

“We sat down and did the math after we heard that … He wants to say there’s a consistency? Okay, let’s look at statistical consistencies. Let’s look at Jon Jones, who has finished every fight with me in the first round, except for that Matt Hamill one, which would have been a first-round stoppage anyway if he hadn’t thrown that illegal elbow. Let’s look at Carlos Condit, who had Fight of the Night and Knockout of the Night. Even people on the undercard who people don’t really know yet. Kyle Noke, two finishes, both in the second round. Almost everybody on our team finishes consistently. There’s no fact. Everybody’s just making stuff up.” [MMAFighting]

Greg Jackson breaks out the numbers to response to Dana White’s criticism about his fighters “Playing it safe” and not finishing fights.

Comments

1. Solid response

2. AMEN! GJ's fighters r some of the best in the world. The numbers show.

3. Numbers show. heres a point I'll make Take Jones, Condit, and Noke out of the equation and see how many are left. The bottom line is the 10 point must system is bullshit. Give a guy 9 points for doing literally nothing most rounds just for showing up is ridiculous. if your just laying on someone playing it safe you should get points taken. And it always seems whenever there are allegations of foul play I.E. greasing or soemthing of that nature a Jackson fighter always seems to be involved. Guys like him and Soares are starting to become the Don Kings of MMA and making it more about them than their fighters.

4. its more about a system that allows fighters to lay and pray rather than the fighter. as long as they do it within the rules i dont blame them.

5. MMA maniac says:

A lot of people think machida is boring and most people that i know think GSP is more boring. Lay and pray and do nothing for 5 rounds.

6. @MMA maniac in what fight did GSP lay and pray his opponent for 5 rounds… hell 1 round? Or maybe I should ask you if you know the difference between ground and pound, submission attempts, and lay and pray?

7. MMA maniac says:

Not Confederate! It is the "Battle Flag of Northern Virginia." This design, however, is the one most synonymous with the term, and the one used in various forms on other Confederate Flags. It is also the one most hated by those who have no clue what it stands for or the story its design tells.

8. MMA maniac says:

Hey Ironic Who did he finish besides a washed up BJ penn that was out of shape. Matt serra was stopped too early

9. hes finished penn, serra, sherk, jay heiron, hughes, and trigg how many people have u finished?

10. @dane…………. you beat me to it!

@MMA maniac you know the serra fight wasn't stopped too early.

Care to answer my question about which round or rounds did GSP lay and pray?

Or maybe you could answer my question about the difference between gnp, and sub attempts, an lay and pray?

Not attacking here I genuinely would like to know.

11. There are a few traits to Cage Today that bother me and one of them is all the GSP Haters.

I suppose it comes from a genuine dislike of grappling, but the fact of the matter is: controlling an opponent is just that, even if it is slow. Strategic MMA can be a slug fest or wrestling for submission or both, but there is a type of fan that will put down even a Belt Holder because they will not abandon their strengths.

12. still doesn't say how many of fighters he had in those cards. did have a fighter in each card? did he have more then one on each card or some of the cards? i think dana is just upset still at nate marquit and his last fight and what they told him to do and how he was winning that fight.

13. Nichole Lesniak says:

Tico – GSP haters are not unique to this site.

14. Van Vader says:

Correct, but the hate is not so much directed at GSP as it is basicly just MMA wanna be fans that don't truly like MMA but just want fast paced bouts.

The true fan understands it all and appreciates it all.

15. I've got total respect for GSP and even just watching the way he takes guys down and controls them on the ground is pretty amazing. My only thing with him is that I think he can use more of a killer instinct. He had Hardy in an arm bar with his butt on the ground. He could have arched his hips and tried to break his arm, because he won't tap. I really think its situations like that where the nice guy in him hold him back.

But Greg Jackson is a great coach and I don't think he teaches guys to play the point game. Anyone who's been watching MMA for a while can probably see that as the level of skill gets higher there are a lot of stalemates. its not like it was five years ago when the guy who knew jitz would get a quick submission or when the great kickboxer would get the KO. Now they're all trained to be well-rounded so they don't get finished easily.

16. Nichole Lesniak says:

I'm not seeing too many "casual" fans on Sherdog – and believe me, there are threads dedicated to bashing GSP.

Kash, I totally agree. GSP is probably one of the most technically skilled fighters in ANY weight class. He is extremely well-rounded and never rests on his laurels – he's always fixing his mistakes/weaknesses. But you're right, he's not a "killer" like some other guys are. He's definitely driven, but it's not the same.

17. Nichole Lesniak says:

But I'm wondering if Jackson is training to guys to win – or just not to lose.

18. Van Vader says:

Interesting question, moreso how to get an honest answer

19. Nichole – I agree. Based on how he coaches, I would say that his philosophy is to fight, not to lose. His stats above don't really say much neither when you consider that there are 4 fighters that will get an award on every event and with the number of fighters he has on every card, surely they are going to get some bonuses. So really, his fighters have received 12 bonuses out of 88 issued over that period (assuming that the 4 awards were issued every show-sometimes they are not if there not a good sub or a good KO). The stat that really sticks out to me is that out all of those fighters- he has no champions (I am not counting GSP as his because GSP got there before he trained with Jackson and GSP does not solely train with Jackson). You would think that with all of them fighters and the names that come out of that camp, he would have one.