Golden Ticket: Amir Sadollah vs Phil Baroni At UFC 106

cage-rage-27-phil-baroni

The Ultimate Fighter 7 winner Amir Sadollah will get the the first crack at Phil Baroni (13-11) at UFC 106, according to MMAJunkie.

Nothing is signed, but both fighter have agreed to the fights.

Baroni of Team Hammer House, started his UFC career at UFC 30 back in 2001. After losing four strait fights to Pete Sell, Evan Tanner x2 and Matt Lindland, he was booted from the promotion in 2005.

For the latest on UFC 106, check out our UFC Rumors section.

Comments

1. AFRAIDOR MILLIONERKO says:

Phil Baroni?! Really? The guy who, even on the juice, couldn't beat FRANK Shamrock?! What a joke! i hope Amir chokes the S#!T out of that guy…that would be awesome.

2. yeah the ufc only has the best, ha ha. there are taking strikeforce left overs phil couldn't even win there and the ufc signs him?what is he 10-11? what is sad is that amir might lose to him.

3. i was hoping i wasnt the only one tired of seing the same rerun ….. him get his ass kicked again

4. dane drebin says:

phil baroni doesnt have a good record but he's faught some of the best in the world he is an exciting fighter and thats the reason the ufc hired him. that and to take away from striekfirces roster. he seems like a lot better fighter at 170 then when he was all muscle bound. that said amir by armbar round 1.

5. I dont think the UFC signed Phil because of his record. I thinK they signed him for his exciting fighting style and brutal KO power. Everyone loves to watch a good slugfest. I have to admit Phil does act like a "New York Asshole" a lot of times but I have to agree with you roy. Phil does have a good chance to beat Amir. I would like to see Amir win though. He seems like a pretty good guy.

Off the topic at hand…

WEC "Cerrone vs Henderson" has been postponed…WTF???

6. Oh, a battle between TV networks…Great…I was looking foward to watch some fights tonight…

7. i hope Aimer wins

8. Second that

9. UFC getting them ELITE fighters nowadays.

new york fat ass cant make it more then a minute before getting gassed.

phull of baloney, and dana says they only want the best? at what, talking crap and getting crushed…isnt that what they brought tito back for?

10. i don't have a problem with baroni i like to watch his fights, that was for the ufc fanboys who think the ufc only signs the best and for the people who where talking shit on him because he was with strikeforce and now will be fans since he is in the ufc.i like amir but i have a feeling he will lose this fight.

11. Has anyone heard anything anywhere else to the affect of anderson silva moving up to HW to fight frank mir??

12. i have heard that said, don't know if there is any truth to it but mir even commented on it. it would be cool to see mir get owned by him.

13. Aldo Raine says:

Hey Zak I did see an article with Dana White where he said Anderson Silva has a better shot boxing Roy Jones Jr. then fighting at Heavyweight. As much as I would love to see it, it doesn't sound like its gonna happen.

14. other derek says:

i've seen the articles also… its all because machida has the belt at 205, but if shogun beats machida we will indeed see silva go for the belt is my guess…i mean other then the fact of big pay for heavyweight fights theres no point for him in that weight class…..he would never touch gold

15. Anderson Silva Taking a Break, Wants Marquardt and Henderson To Fight for #1 contender at MW

UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva is taking some time off from fighting following his knockout of Forrest Griffin at light heavyweight last month at UFC 101 and hopes to see top middleweight contenders Nate Marquardt and Dan Henderson meet soon to determine the top contender at 185-pounds.

“I think the fight that should happen is Nate Marquardt against Dan Henderson for the number one title contender,” said Silva’s manager Ed Soares recently told MMA Weekly. “He’ll take a rest… he’s fought twice this year,” he said. “He’s got three fights left on his contract. He wants to work out a little kinks and bruises that he’s got. He wants to take a little break.”

Henderson, meanwhile, isn’t open to fighting Marquardt, a matchup that could headline UFC 105 in Manchester, England, and could instead return to light heavyweight for his next fight, he recently told SI.com:

“I think I’m the one guy that poses enough dangers [to Silva] style-wise,” he said. “If I were his manager, I’d be trying not to have him fight me as well. I know that Anderson Silva is really trying not to fight me. It’s obvious.”

Henderson said if the UFC came to him with a bout against Marquardt, he would turn it down and seek challenges at light heavyweight.

“I think he’s right in line for a title shot as well, but I feel I’ve earned that already,” Henderson said. “That’s a fight that more than likely will happen in the future, but I think right now, from the UFC’s standpoint, they shouldn’t be having me and Nate fight each other. They’re going to get stuck without any new opponents for Anderson Silva.

“Silva is the only fight that interests me at 185. I said that before Nate’s fight.”

16. Who the F is Anderson Silva's manager Ed Soares to say that Hendo and Marquardt need to fight for the #1 spot at MW. I think they both deserve a shot right now. Hendo a little more than Marquardt because Hendo's last 3 opponents were better fighters and had a better combined record then Marquardt opponents (50-5 : Palahares, Franklin and Bisping) to (35-6 : Kampmann, Gouveia and Maia). I completely agree with everything Hendo had to say…Tell it like it is Hendo…I love it…I hope Dan gets a rematch and knocks Anderson TFO…

17. Aldo Raine says:

I don't like that matchup. I think Hendo deserves a chance more than Marquardt however to beat Anderson Silva you need a mind frame that your just going to stick with the wrestling game. I have heard Marquardt talking about standing with him in the fight. Marquardt has a punchers chance but he will end of the same as the rest. I think Dan will come in with the mind frame of taking the fight to the ground and ground and pound and getting that decision. Either one of them strike with Silva and they are going to lose quick. Personally I don't like the match up with either of them. I want Silva to go to LHW and give up the Middleweight belt. I know he doesn't have that many matches left and a fighter like this doesn't come around very often so I want to see him fight as many different people as possible.

18. Aldo Raine says:

However Marquardt vs Hendo would be badass. I think Hendo would take him pretty easy though. Hendo is to damn good.

19. Im pretty sure we discussed this after the post fight press conf. but I think if A. Silva does want to stay at 185 then he should fight the winner. He has beat them both and neither one is the clear #1 contender. I disagree with ALdo with who would win. I see Marquardt getting the win. His stand up is much better, he is faster, in better shape and is younger than Hendo. All these will get him the win. Marquardt to rise to elite status after this fight.

20. Hendo has takedowns which he does nothing with and a right hand. Dont get me wrong I loved seeing him KO Bisping but come on Bipsing walked into and he knew it was all hendo had on the feet. Circling into the power shot is not a good strat and Nate will exploit Hendo on the feet.

21. I know the answer: A three man battle royale between Silva, Hendo and Marquardt. Silva would still probably win…

22. dane drebin says:

i dunno steve bisping walked into that right hand because every time he went to the right hendo was crackin him with good lefts . hendo forced him to go into his power shot. everybody has a game plan until they feel a truely hard hitter connecting to their dome. i think hendos chin would win him the fight with marquardt.

23. I agree dane drebin, well said…

steve, Hendo would beat Marquardts' ass. Hendo has a granite chin (better than Nate's chin) and brutal KO power (more power in his hands than Nate). I disagree with you saying Nate's hands are better than Hendo's. Dan has so many great KO's with his stand up (more than Marquardt). Marquardt would not be able to KO or submit Dan. The only hope for Matrquardt would be to win a decision and I don't see that happening either.

24. People count out Hendo now because of his age. People dont realise he is still improving, he is the same as Randy, only younger.

Hendo is one of my all time favourite fighters, i believe he should get the shot and then Marquardt's shot should follow.

That being said the idea of having a legit number 1 contender is great. Let Hendo and Marquardt fight for the no 1 contender spot while Anderson Silva has another fight at 205 lbs. No long lay off for all involved.

25. AFRAIDOR MILLIONERKO says:

i say win or lose, the winner of hendo vs nate fights silva, then That winner fights Tito……whoever comes out atop that pile will give us all a good show, watching Tito get Rocked (if he makes it past The Hammer).

PS. LOve the end of comment #9 Mike! hahahah!

26. AFRAIDOR MILLIONERKO says:

They can all do this at lthw, too.

27. Hendo doesnt have a better chin than Marquardt. You can not say either way. They both have been rocked by A. Silva and other than that Marquardt has never been rocked. Sure hendo has power but footwork, head movement and speed all favor Marquardt. Nate has the power to rock hendo and combinations to put him away. Sure hendo can stand up and throw bombs but Nate is too good to get caught by a looping left or right of hendos imo. Nate is no Bisping and Dane all of the elite fighters stick to gameplans. The mental part of mma isnt just preperation for the fight. You have to think while in the fight and adjust. I also think Hendos gas tank is getting low. If he doesnt land a bomb in the 1st rd he wont win. Hope this fight gets signed. Nate is one of the most well rounded fighters in the world. You guys will see.

28. FYI, steve. Marquardt got KO'd, Dan got a lil stunned and then got choked. There is a difference. SO HOW CAN SAY that Nate's chin is better then Hendo's??? Dan's never been TKO'd or KO'd in any of his fights, FYI. Also, Dan has fought way better competition and for a lot longer time period then Nate. Dan has been fighting the elite for so long now. Nate has probably a better submission game but that's it. Hendo is a better wrestler, striker and has a better chin. Everybody says before they fight Dan that he's to slow and they will be able to avoid the bombs of Dan, but everybody still seems to get hit by them and get KO'd. I didn't want to see them fight because I think Dan has already earned himself a title shot, but now I hope they do fight, so Dan can knock him TFO and show everyone who's the real #1 contender.

29. Who has Marquardt beat that is the real elite??? Nobody… Look at all of the fighters Nate's beat in his career Gouveia, a welterweight Kampmann, Jeremy Horn, Lister, Maia who all he has is his submission's. None of these guys are the elite in the division. Nate's lost to Silva, Leites and to a much a nobody's. Now look at Dan's career and wins. He's beat Bisping, Franklin, Wanderlei, Vitor, Misaki, Bustamante, Gono, Kondo, Murilo Rua, Babalu and even a way bigger Big Nogueira. All of those guys are really tough fighters. The only loses Hendo's had are to the elite and a few of his loses are controversial decisions (Wandy at Pride 12, Arona at Pride 20, Misaki at Bushido and you could argue the Rampage fight at ufc 75 too). The other loses were by submission's and against the best submission guys in the world, Big Nog, Lil Nog and Anderson. Dan has a way better resume then Nate and is one the best in the world.

30. i think it would be a grea fight, dan has the better chin and more power in his hands nate is the better striker though, nate is better at subs dan is a better wrestler dan has fought the better comp and nate is younger and hungry. put it all together and i think its a pretty even match and would love to see it.

31. I still think Hendo would win. But, I dont think we'll see them fight though, at least not RIGHT NOW. Because Hendo has said he isn't open to a fight with Marquardt. The only fight he wants at MW is a rematch against Anderson. He said if he doesn't get a title shot with Silva, he would like to have a fight at LHW.

32. dane drebin says:

i agree with u zack and i agree with some of the things steve said about nate not being the same fighter bisping is. i think nate would give dan a way better fight. that said i think hendos experience fighting the best in the world would get him through. he hasnt slowed down yet and until that day he does i think he would beat nate. nates world class tho and it could go either way. hendos never been ko'd or tko'd and nate cant say the same. also henderson has the advantage that if hes losing on points he can always get some takedowns to steal the round. i think dan would be the betting favorite for a reason.

33. dane drebin says:

on a side note… its my bday today so everybody throw one back for me!

34. happy b-day, dane

i like what you bring hear and will drink one for you for sure.

heres some possible bad news thought, i heard rampage is pulling out of his fight with rashad to do the a-team movie heres what dana had to say about it.

Dana had this to say on it last week.

“I hate it with a (expletive) passion. You’re a fighter. You’re not a movie star. It’s so (expletive) funny because fighters want to be movie stars and movie stars want to act like they’re fighters. It’s like, get a grip. You’re a (expletive) fighter and you’re a movie star.”

“Rampage wants to be a movie star. I hope it’s not true (about Jackson getting the role). He’s up for it, and he talked to me, he wants to do this thing, and he’s like, ‘listen, man, this is really important to me…there’s some sentimental value here for me, me and my Dad grew up watching The A-Team together and we loved it.’

Well, guess what, brother? I said, ‘guess what Rashad Evans is thinking about right now. He’s thinking about beating your (expletive) ass. He’s not sitting around thinking about him and his mom used to watch the (expletive) ‘Love Boat’ together, and he wants to get the role of ‘Isaac the Bartender’…you know what I mean? Get a (expletive) grip, dude. You’re going to make a lot of money. You ain’t gonna make a lot of money playing B.A. Baracus on the A-Team. Jesus Christ. (Expletive) drives me (expletive) nuts.”

35. hope its not true

36. Here's a Happy B-Day from me, dane.

Me too, roy. Who gives a crap about you watching the A Team with your dad, Rampage. You're scheduled to fight Rashad at the end of the TUF, for most likely a title shot. I think Rampage just wants to get paid. Doing a movie like this will bring him in so big bucks. Thats what Rampage has always said, "It's all about the cheddar". I dont think Rampage really cares about this movie, just wants to make some more dough. You're a fighter though Rampage, not a acter. You need to quit being so money hungry and focus in on Rashad and getting your title back.

37. AFRAIDOR MILLIONERKO says:

It's not like production of the movie is gonna SUFFER if they have to wait for Rampage…but his carreer Mos' def will if he calls off this fight to PLAY a B.A. instead of fight like one.

DANE! HAPPY HAPPY- JOY-JOY!!! Are we all throwing one back for you, though, cause you're not old enough to drink yet?! hahahahaha! Hope not, but if so…sneak a little jimmy outta Dad's cabinet tonight. JK

38. dane drebin says:

hahaha no im old enough for sure there wont be any sneaking and plenty of beligerence lol

thanks for the wishes!!

rampage better start focusing on rashad cuz rashad is definetly gunna want to make a statement after that machida beat down.

39. I agree with all of you, but I think Roy said it best. It is a very evenly matched up fight in different ways, but Henderson DOES have more experience fighting better fighters. I really like both of them and I wish Henderson automatically got the title shot and Nate was his first defense. That seems like it would be more fair. Happy birthday, Dane!

40. Aside from Bisping though, Dan hasn't finished anyone since he came back to the UFC. What is the deal with that?

41. dane drebin says:

thanks ryan! ya he hasnt finished anyone besides bisping but look at his level oc competition they are all top notch he hasnt had any gimme fights at all.

42. Again, well said dane…

43. Zack can you really not read jesus. I never said either have a better chin. I said you dont know which one has a better chin. We know dan has a solid chin but Marquardt has taken all the punches from everyone he has ever fought besides their common opponent and loss to A. Silva. Dan was rocked and Anderson could have easily put Dan away with punches but he gave up his back and Anderson choked him out instead. Thats a prefernce he chose to do. Dan got dropped and finished. Marquardt got dropped and finished. Neither prove they have a better chin than the other from that. I think it is a very bad match up for Dan and its too bad he doesnt want to step up and fight Nate for a title shot. Hope this does end up getting signed so Nate can show how much better he has gotten after his loss to A. Silva. He has evolved into a super dangerous fighter. Dan does have more decision wins than stoppages b/c he is a wrestler with power in his hands. He stands when he needs to but its not where he wants the fight to be.

44. No, I can read, but when you start saying false statments, I'm gonna have to correct you. I DO know which one has a better chinand so does dane drebin and roy. And it IS Dan. Hendo's fought way more powerful punchers then Nate. Dan's fought and taken some huge bombs from Rampage, Wanderlei, Belfort and Anderson, WITHOUT getting KO'd. Nate could get KO'd by any of these guys. So, how you say that Anderson could have finished him with punches??? Because I think Anderson knew it would be really hard to finished Dan off with punches, so he decided to go for the choke. If you have someone that badly hurt you always finish with punches (Just like Silva with Matrquardt).

You want Nate to show off how much better he's gotten afeter the pose to Silva??? He's had wins over some not real great opponents (Horn, a loss to Leites, a welterweight Kampmann, an overrated Gouveia and Maia, who all he has is submissions. Dan has fought the elite every fight in the UFC and his last 3 wins are over way better talent then Nate.

You also said that Dan doesn't want the fight to keep the fight standing. Thats just stupid. Have you even watched any of Dan's fights??? That's what he wants to do IS stand and exchange. He stood with Rampage for 5 rounds, Bisping the whole fight, Palahares pretty much the whole fight, Franklin and even Anderson. I don;t think you give Hendo enough credit, go back and watch some of his fights from Pride and even his last 5 fightas in the UFC and tell me he doesn;'t want the fihgth standing. But, don't get me wrong Nate IS a really good fighter, but I dont' think he's the very elite. I do agree with you on one thing, I hope they sign this fight too. So HENDO can show the world who really deserves the tltle shot with Anderson.

45. I'm going to have to disagree with you here Zack, Dan would have been TKO'd if Silva didn't sub him, while Nate has only been TKO'd once and never KO'd (same as Dan) theres no way you can KNOW for sure Nate would get KO'd if he fought Rampage Wandy etc.

I'm not saying Dan doesn't have the better chin, I'm just saying that Nate hasn't had his chance to prove it.

46. I’m gonna have to diagree with you Balendin. Hendo got a lil stunned, went for a takedown, Anderson sprawled and went into Hendos guard. Then Anderson was able to get Dan’s back, punch him a couple of times from the back (but nothing real powerful though) and then was able to sink in the choke. It was at least a minute or so after he was stunned before he got choked. Havn’t you ever watched any of Hendo’s fights, he NEVER GETS KO’d and he’s fought all those power punchers I mentioned above. So you can’t say he was gonna get TKO’d… Now when Nate fought Anderson. Anderson was hovered over Nate while he was on the ground and punch him once in the face and Nate got rock bad, curled up in a ball FROM getting KO’d and Anderson followed up with a couple more little punches and TKO’d him but he was pretty much KO’d. And i also think any of people i mentioned (Rampage, Wandy, Belfort) could K.O. Marquardt.