Gegard Mousasi and M-1 Global Breakup

Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Gegard Mousasi,

“After careful consideration, I have decided that it is in my best interest to part ways with M-1 Global,” Mousasi wrote in the e-mail. “During the time I spent under their wing, M-1 Global, as a promoter and management company, allowed me to achieve many great things. I appreciate all they have done for me.” [Sherdog]

This is great news for fans who are tired of the whole Fedor/M-1 stonewall bullshit. Gegard is one of the more interesting fighters out their and would like to see him take that step up in competition.

He still has a contract with Strikeforce and DREAM, but after that, could we see him inject some energy into the UFC middleweight division?

Mousasi just finished up two weeks of training with Georges St. Pierre in Canada.

Comments

1. fuckmastercocksplat says:

he will be in the ufc soon and be the champ by 2011

2. I'm glad he left M-1. M-1 is the Don King of MMA. Now Mousasi can go to the UFC where he belongs without having to co-promote or any of that stupid Fedor shit. Mousasi is one of the people I think can have a big impact in the UFC. I think he could potentially be top 3 in the UFC.

3. thank you gegard! now come to the UFC and demolish anderson silva

4. Because he left that dusent meen he wil come to the ufc he's strikeforce LHW champion and every body knows the ufc wont let yu b a free agent and wil try 2 screw yu over also.

But lets wait and see what he wil do

5. The only thing is that the Strikeforce LHW belt like most of the Strikeforce belts means absolutely nothing. UFC will always have the best LHW division. Mousasi is really good and he deserves to fight the best. He belongs in the UFC.

6. Muay Thai, i get what you are saying about the competition, but the UFC 185 class sucks too. That's why they keep Silva there instead of moving him up to a more competetive 205 division. – they need to manufacture excitement where there isn't otherwise. The bottom line is, I would love to see Mousasi fight Silva. He is more well rounded and I think he shut up a lot of the UFC only fans.

7. 185 division has got great fighters, their just not as great as silva, but out of all the divisions it is the less stacked, thats a fact. 205 is the most stacked of all, they don't need Mousasi, although I would love to see him there compete against the top 205 fighters.

8. BJJ Brown Belt says:

Mousasi has made it clear that he does not want to fight at 185 so I don't understand all the comments about him beating Anderson and injecting energy into the 185 division. He recently said he was making the jump to HWT. He definitely will not be 185. HWT may be to much for him. he will most likely stay at 205. Maybe his comment about him moving to HWY did not sit well with Fedor because that would mean that eventually they would have to fight each other? Anyway, him having to go up against the monsters in the UFC HWT division might be too much for him. He should either stay with Strikeforce at HWT or come to the UFC at 205. If he stays at Strikeforce, could he be the guy to beat Fedor? From all the HWTs that they have, he has the best shot!

9. Oswald Gobblecock says:

Wow, some of you are either diluted or don't know where these MMA fighters stand! fuckmastercocksplat, what makes you think he'll be the champ in the UFC in 2011? Who has he really beat? Babalu and Sokoudjou, 2 guys who aren't top 10 and didn't start winning again until they left the UFC. Which also makes me ask Derek what you've seen that makes you think he'd even last against Silva let alone beat him? Dave, Silva has demolished people at 205 better than any other 205er has so why do you lie about Silva not wanting to compete there when in actuality he's looked the best there. Even when he fought Franklin and Hendo who have also been at 205, no other 205 fighter could do what he did to them. Same with Forrest and Irvin.

You'll crack us up with your Silva hate. You're like guys that talk crap about a hot chick who you could never pull and you expect your word to mean something. I don't understand how anybody could hate on Anderson… I could see Fedor just because he didn't come to the top company when he had the chance but Silva… ridiculous.

I think Mousasi is definitely good enough to be in the UFC but the fact remains is that he hasn't even beaten a top 10 fighter yet so lets not jump the gun and say he'll be champ in the most stacked division in all of MMA!

10. I agree. First he needs to make the jump up to the UFC, then we'll see how he does at 205.

I don't get the comments about UFC fans that hate the smaller leagues. No one dislikes Strikeforce, its just that the UFC is loads more interesting, with many more bouts, and a reality show. If you were a Football player would you play in the Canadien League or the NFL?

11. has everyone forgotton that he's supposed to be fighting king mo in april? can't believe that hasn't been mentioned.

12. Oswald Gobblecock, whenever you write something on here you show your MMA ignorance. Sorry that you don't know who any fighters are who don't appear on Spike. Just because some guy fights in the UFC doesn't mean that they are better than a guy who fights in Dream Sengoku, or Strikeforce. Unfortunatley this sport attracts a lot of hot headed ignorance and most of them have the same simple minded belief that you do. I am not saying that the UFC isn't the deepest promotion but people like you are so off base it's comical. What happened when Silva went to Japan to fight? He got caught in one of the most emabarrassing highlight reel submissions ever by Chonan. Liddell quit. Fedor has destroyed more UFC Heavyweight champs than anyone. Oh and by the way Babalu won 4 of his 6 ufc matches – so who is the one who is lying about fighters performances? Why people like you continue to allow themselves to be brainwashed by Dana White's bs I will never know.

13. Oswald Gobblecock says:

Dave, haven't you been beaten like a drum by me an several others on this forum before? Clearly you know that I know my MMA simply because I've talked many times about fighters who aren't on "SpikeTV" and have known my shit but you simply can't think of anything else to say because I acknowledge that UFC has the largest pool of talent! I said Mousasi could beat some UFC guys so obviously that doesn't mean I think All UFC Fighters > All Others like you just tried to state… lost another round there. Who's ignorance is showing again? lol I've pointed out, say it with me… "fighters" that they've fought as to measure where they're at. Not what company they fight for. You saying "That’s why they keep Silva there instead of moving him up to a more competitive 205 division." shows everybody who has seen everything I have (which is alot of people here) how dumb you are for reasons I've already mentioned that are facts that you can feel free to reread since you obviously had trouble reading it the first time which is why you're getting picked apart right here for everybody to see. Oh and BTW… Babalu won 4 of his 6 fights in the UFC but who were they? Travis Wiuff, Mike Van Arsdale, David Heath and Chael Sonnen. Chael's doing great now but sucked back then which is why he got the axe but now he's winning again and is back in the UFC making a name for himself. Are you gonna sit there with a retarded look on your face that I'm sure you have and that these guys are better then the current top 10 LHWs which Babalu himself wasn't even in when Mousasi beat him? Yeah, I'm real ignorant aren't I? That's really clear coming from you. Keep hating on the big dogg that is UFC, I guess it's your way of taking out your anger for when girls used to ignore you in high school which is why the only time you even talk to a woman is only when she accepts your credit card number first.

14. Yeah Fedors really good at beating scraps. he had his chance to come fight Lesnar, a current UFC champ and didnt take it. Brett "the tire changing" Rogers gave Fedor trouble. Fedor fans are way worse than UFC fans imo.

15. Oswald Gobblecock says:

Didn't Fedor lose one of his last sambo matches? Hard to believe one of the guys in the UFC wouldn't beat him. If not Lesnar then somebody.

16. OswaldGobblecock – I am embarrassed for you dude. Do you know what a douchebag is? It's a guy who thinks he is the shit but everyone laughs when he walks by. That is you. I don't remember any debates with you and nobody else does either. But I am flattered that you remember me and judging by your posts, I’m not shocked that you have chosen to flatter yourself into thinking that you won. Your pointless analogies about girls are just revealing your insecurities to the rest of us so stop with that already.

After reading your post about Fedor recently losing in Sambo and how somehow that discredits his MMA abilities, I will abruptly end this debate. You can’t reason with the unreasonable. Argue with someone else who is at your level. You’re right, Fedor would get his ass kicked to guys like Lesnar, Mir, Noguera and Couture…good stuff. Lesnar’s four wins and one loss are insanely impressive!

17. Oswald Gobblecock says:

Oh no Dave, the embarrassment here is definitely you kid. The difference between you and I is that people laugh with me and not at me like they do you. I can tell that I really struck a nerve with that giving women your credit card comment. Man, I knew you were the type of guy who the only time he gets ass is when his fingers slip through the toilet paper but damn son. I can tell you hate confident guys who dogg you out because it reminds you those sad and terrible moments you had all the time in high school. I'm glad you finally admitted you can't beat me… never could before. I remember people even telling you to give it up and you've obviously smartened up just a bit… still need to gain a few IQ points though since you think a guy who can beat Mir and Couture in only 5 or less fights is somehow less impressive than a guy who has all the experience in the world but barely won against a guy who still sells tires part time! lol You can stop posting here now… don't be the turd that won't flush away. Don't think this board needs to see you get pummeled more than you have already… there could be children here.

18. "there could be children here."

There is no doubt about that.

19. Na na Na na Na na, my dad can beat up your dad. Oswald and Dave you both sound like my kids. Grow up and talk about the sport and knock off the personal attacks. OK, both of you go sit in the corner, you got a time out. :)

20. Gegard mousasi breakup with M-1 Global in my opinion is great news not because i dislike M-1 but because i know this is what was holding Mousasi back from even attempting a move to the UfC , i mean lets face it Strikeforce doesn not have much of a division and the best move would be the UFC, a fight with Silva would be interesting because Mousasi has excellent Submissions aswell as great boxing together with good take down defense . i dont think that fighting at hw would be the best for him .

21. these forums always make me smile. everyone always tries to psychoanalyze people from a keyboard. awesome. it's like an episode of house.