Frank Mir Considering Dropping To Light Heavyweight?

Former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir talks about a possible run at light heavyweight after being KO’d by Shane Carwin at UFC 111.

“Right now I have a couple months off, so I’ve actually been toying with the idea of maybe going down a weight class. Since I don’t have a fight for a couple months, I’ve just been watching what I eat and see how my body without trying to put size on; what my natural weight will fall now at now since I have lifted a lot lately to add size. I’m kind of curios where I think I would fall at. Because some of the guys I train with that are light heavyweight, bone structures are the same. Sometimes I stand next to Forrest and I think I’m in the wrong weight class.”

Could we see a possible rematch with Brandon Vera at 205 in the near future?

Comments

1. AFRAIDOR MILLIONERKO says:

This is quite possibly the smartest career move Frank Mir has EVER made…his 1st fight w/ Brock was just luck after getting rescued by the Herb, then a rookie mistake by Lesnar leaving his foot in there….Mir actually started to buy his own S#!T…not until two consecutive A$$ whoopins by the (no mere coincidence) top two in the Division…I think it would be awesome to see him go lhw..lots of much better match ups for Mir there….and Vera is NOT one I care to watch… sorry pello pilipino, "the truth" is simply boring anymore.

2. CobraClutch says:

Anderson Silva vs. Frank Mir @ LHW.

Would love to see that one.

3. Oswald Gobblecock says:

If Mir could really even make that weight cut. Might take a while but I'd much rather see Anderson vs Shogun or Machida still than Mir. Those would be much better stand up wars.

4. I think Mir would be so exhausted from the weight cut that he'd Gas out in the first and he'd get knocked out

5. not necessarily. mir has always, until recently, been a small hw. He only got up to 265 in order to try and negate some of the strength advantages of the bigger 265ers. It would be much better for him these days to drop to 205.

6. I think the UFC LH is the most interesting division in MMA today and the addition of Mir would only add to that. Remember the UFC cut their number of fighters considerably not too long ago, but I would prefer to see more fighters, of course more fighters means more bouts, and I cannot get enough of that. Mir would bring a great threat to many of the top 12 LH's and it sue would be interesting.

7. AFRAIDOR MILLIONERKO says:

just think of all the Mir matchups that would be cool to see (given he makes it w/o suffering loss of strength)

vs. Machida

vs. Silva

vs. Franklin

vs. Griffin

vs. Thiago

vs. Rampage

vs. "sugar"

vs. Wandi… I say upgrade for the UFC @ lhw….ended career in 3 matches if he stays @ Hw

8. Rampage says:

Loooove to lose to that homeboy, of course I'm about to start shooting "A-Team 2", same cast except Liam Neeson has been downgraded to George Wendt.

You know what I'm sayin Ninjas?

9. This si the same idiot that put on 20lbs of muscle because he thiught he would be competitive with brock. So he bulks up to 265. And now this guy wants to move down to 205Lbs. the 205 division guys are more talented than hevayweight. MIR IS DONE GUYS

10. AFRAIDOR MILLIONERKO says:

dunno bout that…if he keeps the strength and utilizes his real skills instead of thinking he can slug it out w/ the new class of Monstros in HW…he could re-energize his career. One thing is certain, he CAN NOT stay at HW any longer.

11. Yes agreed Mir Can beat "B" level fighters still (Kongo, Hardonk, barely beat Dan Christensen who was fat and washed up) He got beat by a BJJ guy in Peda Pano, Vera destroyed him. Honestly you think he can compete with the quicker and more skilled fighters at 205????????

12. jay. although I agree with some of what you said, the Frank Mir that fought Dan and Lost to Vera Looked like this:

http://danawhitesucks.files.wordpress.com/2008/03… Thanks to his Accident. Not exactly the same Frank we see walking around today.

He lost to two of the biggest guys with Giants fists in MMA.

He'll probably do well (not great) if he can keep his cardio up.

13. Balendin says:

Mir in 205 is a smart move providing he goes for the BJJ route and not this i can stand and bang with anyone route

14. LumpDawg says:

If Mir can cut the weight and be healthy, He will be a force in lhw. He was (is) a great Hw, the UfC needs to make a new w-class – super hw, for these monsters they have now. No one else has to fight guys 20 -30 ibs heavier,its not fair. You have greats like Crocop and wandy who used to dominate, but no way they can compete against these monsters. Give Mir a warm up fight with a lower tier lhw like Vera or jardine to get his cardio aclimated to fighting at 205, and he will be a contender. Y'all watch a former hw champion Roy Nelson fight JDS. Nelson is being offered up to slaughter, totally new game today.