Fightmetric Breakdown Of UFC 104 Lyoto Machida vs. Shogun Rua

fight-metric-ufc 104

You can’t beat the facts, Shogun should have won 49-47. Round by Round breakdown:

1. Rua
  2. Machida
  3. Draw
  4. Rua
  5. Rua

TG: Fightmetric via MMAMainia

Comments

1. machida definitely won round 3 for me and round 1 was very close!! could have gone either way. machida landed more punches that is stated here. and finally, just to state that this fight metric system also had cerrone to win against henderson in their wec fight. considering it is a computer, it is shocking to see with all the stats it can gather, it still gives round 3 as a draw.

2. shogun so won

3. Anyone with eyes and even minimal knowledge about the sport knows Shogun won that fight.

T

his decision is worse than the time the judges gave it to Bisping instead of Matt Hamil.

4. Shogun landed so many leg kicks. But who got more accurate strikes on the feet. I think thats why they gave it to Machida

5. all i am saying is, no one takes into account machidas takedown defence. more often shogun took a shot to give a shot back…….and most important is the fact it wasn't even a split decision. unanimous decision 48-47 all around!! so no matter what anyone says, the 3 people who were scoring the fight all agreed!! UNANIMOUS!! 2 JUDGES GAVE MACHIDA THE FIRST 3 ROUNDS AND THE OTHER JUDGE GAVE HIM THE MIDDLE 3!!

6. Joe Smith says:

I'm not a boxing judge, but I gave it 4-1 Rua.

Rua – Rua – Machida – Rua – Rua.

MAYBE you coulda given round one to the champ, because he was the champ. But all three first rounds? I don't see it.

7. Joe Smith says:

By the way…for the slow ones out there, I used "Boxing" on purpose. Comprende?

8. Machida did just enough to win, his counterstriking won it again for it every time Rua went to throw a kick and he missed very often until the later rounds Machida landed jabs. While i think it was a close and boring fight Machida won as he did just enough to win. This fighmetric isnt accurate at all as Rua didnt land that many kicks he missed alot more than 20 kicks…and Machida in mutliple occasions landed 5-7 punches and kicks when he back rua up…it was a close fight and while you could say Rua should of won facts are facts and Machida did just enough to win…i would love to see a rematch, i dont think Dana was happy after this fight at all.

9. I am a Machida fan, but I don't know how the judges all saw him winning this fight. Shogun was great and deserved at least a draw if not a win. I look forward to the rematch.

10. They gave Machida rounds 1,2 and 3 with 4 and 5 to Rua i think Round 1 was a toss up and the real thing that won this fight for Machida was he did just enought to win and no one with 30 sec left in the round acting like they wanted to win the round they did nothing. Boring fight but hey i am a machida fan and except that just his style of fighting i hope he comes back for the rematch more prepared and doesnt overlook Rua…i thought that several times in the fight when Rua was leading with his left or right leg machida should of thrown kicks to the knees and straight jabs at the same time overall the champ wins close rounds. Rua didnt do enough to win.

11. tim whacks off to machida and brock…rua won hands down

12. dane drebin says:

tim what the hell are u talking about ur in denial pal cuz thwe facts dont lie rua landed more strikes and if u dont believe the numbers just look at machidas raggedy ass after the fight his face was all sliced up, purple ribs, and he was noticably limping while shogun didnt even look bad at all.

13. Aldo Raine says:

I thought Machida had won the fight. I didn't at first but I went back and watched it and I realized I though Shogun won because of the announcers influence. Everything Shogun did they would praise and when Machida did something they wouldn't say anything. I remember one in specific in round 3 were Machida landed like three punched to Shoguns head and he tried to kick back and barely grazed Machida and they were like wooh look at the leg kick but wouldn't even say anything about the punches. There was like one time when Goldberg was finally said that he saw a mouse forming under shoguns eye that was about all they said for Machida. I though Machida won 1, 2, and 3 and that Shogun won 4, 5. Horrible announcing though….kind of ruined the fight for me.

14. man they need to get the stinking boxing judges out of mma. take a lesson from the old pride days and judge the whole fight instead of round by round. I love machida but shogun did way more damage. shogun got screwed.

15. Aldo Raine says:

T.R. I will admit that if we scored the whole fight I would give the fight to Shogun but I think since it is scored round by round that Machida won. I think Rua did more damage in the fight but a lot of that came in round 4, and 5. I mean he clearly won both of those but I think Machida did enough to take rounds 1, 2, 3. I agree though that Shogun probably won the fight if it was judged by the whole fight and not round by round.

16. dane drebin says:

i think its funny how they have the strikes counted and its obvious who won but the debate still continues wat an intelligent bunch we have here.

17. 2 people on this site think Machida won. Tim and ALdo Raine that says enough about this arguement. Dana even said Shogun won. I love the idiots saying Machida won even though everyone who knows about mma sees it the other way. Shogun dominated everywhere. Not only landing the most shots punches and kicks but more damage and octagon control. What did Machida even do successfully? I couldnt tell you.

18. Im sorry he defended the takedown. Thats what got him the win LMAO.

19. I also think Machida won actually Machida landed more clean punches than Shogun. Shogun however was landing good kicks that were getting to machida. But he missed a lot of them as well. Shogun had multiple unsuccesful take downs that Machida Srugged off.

20. dane drebin says:

lol jay shogun landed 17 head shots and machida landed 14 so… FAIL just compare their faces retard

21. Joe Smith says:

to be fair, mma fights aren't just judged on one thing. you all see the chart before each fight. strikes (fist, elbow, knee, leg), take-downs, defense of take-downs, submission attempts, defense of submission attempts, and octagon control. just pointing to a chart of how many time a strike landed isn't going to win you an argument on actual mma scoring.

that being said, I still give the fight to Shogun 3-2 or 4-1. but i also think you have to decisively BEAT the champ to become the champ. so, in a close fight, i can see how that extra round can go to Machida…even though Shogun won this fight, he didn't win it decisively enough to win the belt in the minds of the judges. machida squashes all the take-down defenses, and both fighters could have gone at least another couple rounds. But then I think Shogun woulda finally put him away.

22. for those of u with access to watching the fight again, i strongly advise u watch the fight with no sound!! if u dont have time to watch the whole fight, just watch the first round. just in that round, lyoto landed more of these supposed leg jabs!! but u will understand how joe rogan and mike goldberg hypnotized everyone into shogun winning. they were going crazy just when lyoto gothit and hardly ever said anything when lyoto was striking first!!

everyone has their own opinion, initially i thought it could have gone either way…..but i had to watch the fight again!!

having watched the fight again, i totally understand how machida won. dana white states that he thought lyoto won rounds 2 and 3. shogun won rounds 4 and 5 with round 1 going either way. dana gave the edge to shogun in round 1 but i gave the edge to lyoto in round 1.

shogun himself states that he thought he won rounds 3, 4 and 5!! i definitely think machida won round 3!!

23. we rewatched the whole fight on mute without joe and mike blabing. It was a close fight but I can see the difference. We watched it again with the sound and there are a couple times when a punch or leg kick missed or was blocked and joe says something like oh another kick bla bla bla. It was a close fight but watch it again on mute it isn't the same fight as with them two talking.

24. WAR SHOGUN says:

Its not about how many "shots" you land its about damage and control, Shogun controlled Machida in the clinch on the first round kneeing Machida and the whole fight Shogun was the aggressor and landing big kicks to the mid section, meanwhile Machida was running. Oh and that whole Joe commentary conspiracy is BULLSHIT, they were just announcing the fight as they saw it, Machida didint land ANYTHING significant why would they say anything.

25. The crowd couldn't hear Joe Rogan and they were all booing when the decision was announced.

26. I, go to my second point on the other post. I make two points. One, is the "announcer effect" the other is the "what have I seen lately" effect. Since shogun easily won rounds 4 and 5, that's the last thing we saw….so we kinda forget how the first three rounds went. when you're scoring a card, you score each round as you go, then tally up at the end. Machida looked like he was close to finishing Shogun in the last minute of Round 3, so there's no way Shogun won round 3. All of Shoguns best hits came in the latter rounds. Machida did actually win 1-2-3, which shogun winning 4-5. Sorry, but sometimes things aren't what they seem, and we need to take another look. I admit I was wrong.

27. I still say Shogun won the fight. I dont think Machida won rounds 1,2 & 3. It's your opinion and thats fine, but I don't agree with you on this one.

28. Joe roagan Needs to keep his mouth shut sometimes. And I hope Dana fires Mazagatti's punk ass and Yves lavigen

29. shogun won

30. dana white is not in charge of who referees a fight!! that is up to the commission!!

31. Yeah But he has the right to fire him? right?

32. no!! unless the commission does!!

33. RatAttack says:

Gentlemen, I also think Shogun won the fight, but as we all know that when fighters leave it in the judges hands anything can happen. We have seen it so many times in other fights. It wasn't that long ago when people were whinning about Forrest beating Rampage:) I hope the rematch is better and Shogun knocks Machida the fuck out!!

34. Aldo Raine says:

I didn't like that after the fight was over and before the decision came that like normal they showed highlights of big shots in the fight but all they showed were 3 videos of leg kicks by shogun. That along with the announcers not giving any credit to Machida. Close fight but I really think Machida won it 2 to 3.

35. Lights on: Round 1 Machida delivers many knees, and avoids take-downs.

Light on Round 3 Machida looks like he's going to finish Shogun as he combos him against the cage.

Lights on…my name ain't steve, but I agree that Machida wins 3-2. Just deal with it.

Beat the champ…then be the champ.

But always….I Luv Lamp.

36. Shogun did not do enough to win the belt. he was saying this was the opportunity of his life, yet he did not go after it. kicking someone in the leg is not enough to win a belt. (although it was for forrest)

37. WAR SHOGUN says:

Yeah and running away like a bitch is enough to retain the tittle right? Shogun won, end of story. Machida did nothing he just ran I mean literally ran from Shogun.

38. Random Name says:

Watch the fight again, War Shogun, Machida didn't do nothing and literally run. That's a flat out lie. He almost finished Shogun at the end of Round 3.

39. comment 38 is in denial at no time did he almost finish shogun what a joke hahahahaha