Fedor Emelianenko vs. Tim Silva on July 19

Sherdog has confirmed, former PRIDE heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko will take on former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia on July 16, broadcast on HDNet. The rumored venue is HDNet Fights own American Airlines Arena in Dallas.

Affliction the clothing company might also have its hand in the promotion of this fight.

Emelianenko said via telephone from Russia:

“[Sylvia] is a good fighter, a strong fighter, the former UFC heavyweight champion, which is important…I am looking forward to fighting him and training hard for this fight.”

CageToday will have more on this news as it becomes available.

Comments

1. I hope Fedor hurries up an destroys Silvia so he can focus on the real fight against Couture!

2. Tim Sylia is going to be a challenge for the Russian.

Fedor has been kinda getting stale in my book, after fighting these BS fights, demanding 2 mil a fight and the breakup of M-1, its just getting old.

If he beats Tim Sylvia, you can expect to see him top the PP list again.

3. Im just happy Fedor is fighting someone with credentials after those last 2 fights against a much smaller man in Matt Lindland and that other guy. Maybe if he wins he has a reason for being called one of the best.

4. The Maine-iac better build up his tapping muscles. I'm sure he doesn't want another ending like with Mir.

5. Nice Thomas. Yeah I'm glad Fedor is finally fighting someone who will give him a challenge. I didn't think Fedor would fight for Adrenaline after they criticized him and said the Sylvia and Rockwell additions were more important than Fedor. They must have offered him some big money, I wonder how much he is going to get paid?

6. i think its more of a co promtion, they said it was a affliction fight and cuban got his hands in there to so since m-1 and adrenaline let there fighter fight outside of there company i think its more of a colaberation.

7. patrickgamil says:

fedor will probably make a monkey uot of tim sylvia.

but,

with the KO power of big tim he has a way better chance than couture.

tim is no joke.

i dont think hong man was either though….

8. tim sylvia is a joke. very boring fighter who uses his long arms to keep fighters at bay and to keep himself out of harms way. fedor has almost a 100% rate of beating everyone taller than him by armbar — from mark coleman twice to hong man choi to matt lindland.

9. hahah.. check wikipedia and search fedor emelianko. it will show tim losing by kneebar and "shitting of the pants." haha

10. Why is everyone saying Fedor fighting smaller man in Lindland? Lindland was 215 lbs, Fedor is 230. Now, Tim is 260 vs Fedor 230. The difference between Tim and Fedor is bigger than between Fedor and Lindland. No one saying Tim fighting smaller men. Even on picture. Look, Tim looks like papa gorilla in comparison to Fedor, while Fedor and Lindland are almost even.

11. Tim is actually a very good fighter. He is not as athletic as say Andre, but he uses what he has got pretty well and efficiently. His mind is also tough unlike Mirko's. That's why he is in the top 5 and Mirko is not.

12. I think it is a great fight. Silvia is boring, you got that right, but he finds ways to use his size to beat his opponent. And you have to admit his last fight was much better, he didn't look as boring. I hope this isn't on HDNet…still don't have that network.

13. i called it. fedor will win by armbar.

14. So if Fedor loses… does this move Randy as the #1 HW? LoL If Fedor loses!!!

15. dane drebin says:

serge ur a retard matt lindland is a natural 185 middleweight and fedor weighs in around 240 thats a pretty big difference. with heavyweights it doesnt make as big a difference but fedor is naturally a lot bigger than any middle weight

16. Why does Fedor have to fight Sylvia, lets just wait it out til Rando can fight after dana is done screwing the pooch on this deal with Couture. The sad thing will be is when the dust settles Randy, Couture, and it hurts me to say this but sylvia it almost makes HD's HVYWGT division tougher than the UFC's. We are wasting time people and Coutures almost 50, so its not on his side.

17. idc but hey tim is coming out wih a broken arm again

18. Great, at the rate Fedor fights; Randy will be looking to fight him sometime around the end of 2009.

19. just say fedor loses to tim sylvia somehow. sylvia will then become #1 heavyweight. does this mean randy will have to fight tim again?

20. and fedor doesn't have a lot of muscle. well, at least he;s not ripped like some of the other heavyweights like andrei arlovski.

21. Realwun says:

I think Fedor is freakishly strong even though he isn't massive. I don't think Silvia could be the #1 HW if he does manage to beat Fedor because there is still Couture and Nogiera who he has lost to recently. I don't see Couture taking on any other fight than Fedor, win or lose.

22. im a huge fedor fan ive been watching him for a long time longer then ive been watching ufc. he is the best pound for pound fighter in the world but tim is a lot taller than fedor has alot more reach on fedor but that hasnt stoped fedor before he has put beatings on so many top ranked fighters. the ufc HW class is weak right now why should he go to ufc and have to beat the same people and get paid less money? and i dont think that courtuor will ever fight again anywhere.

23. dane drebin says:

because while being weak no one else compares

24. Silva I think, while he is a good fighter in that he uses his natural size and reach to a expert advantage will be like a big meat bone for a pit bull figther like Fedor. Yeah Coutre and Fedor would be a great fight, my money is on Fedor, and win or lose I think that will be Coutre's last. The other fight that never happend and which I think people should get behind is Fedor vs Barrnet. Barrent has beaten Coutre, yes he tested postive for roids… but he has come a long way and his skill has improved. Honestly if you wanna see a real test for Fedor, make it Barrent.

25. kcroc i have been waiting for fedor vs barnett for a long time, thats more exciting to me than randy, i always thought in pride that barnett would be the one to beat him.

26. Go Fedor….i never have liked Silvia but the guy can take a punch i will give him that.

27. ron shaw says:

Fedor and Barnett will happen.

28. Fedor is just going to show his best and will show himselfe that what he does is what he likes and loves, no matter if he losses he will be my favorite fighter of all times, his my hero and my way to fight against the problems i have in my life his my inspiration. no matter if he losses against anybody he is a true warrior.

29. FEDOR will beat shit of that monkey silva !!!!

30. dane drebin says:

am i the only one who knows how to spell tims last name? SYLVIA he's not a silva. that shit annoys me sorry.

31. alabastercrowley says:

In my opinion I think Fedor is the top heavy weight in MMA today. Tim Sylvia is a very good fighter when it comes to being big and intimidating but as far as his technique in the ring he uses his size to distract that missing talent. I also keep hearing about how old Fedor is getting and that is going to play a vital roll in his defeat but Sylvia is the same age. Also Tim has a record of 24-4-0 and Fedor's record is 27-1-0. As long as Fedor stays focused on the fight and does not underestimate Sylvia, this is going to be just another win for Fedor.

32. mexican says:

I think Tim is no match for Fedor they sholud have put Randy in there with Fedor now thats a fight worth watching. I also think Dana White is the new Don King he is manipulating fights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The real owners need to buy him out and put some thats going to do thing right like Randy or Don Fry real fighters who know the game and would not fix the fights.

33. I think we may be surprised here. I have been watching fedor on youtube all week. (slow week at office) and I just dont see it. I think Tim can give him all he wants. Fedor is giving up some huge size and this time not against some damn freak show, a legitimate fighter, boring as hell, but legitimate. I think Sylvia can beat him just because fedor has been beating up janitors for the last 2 years.

34. LOL beating up janitors? he fought Mark coleman and mark hunt at the end of 2006,and in 2007 he fought Matt Linland and Hong Man Choi.I dont think any of those guys are as you quote "Janitors". And fedor doesnt weigh in at 240 he weighs in at about 232-234 usually. And Linland could easily fight at 205. Also Tim is not gonna surprise anyone and like everyone else that has fought fedor he will get pieced up and submitted. One more thing. And dont say that Fedor doesnt have it just b/c he hasnt fought the number 2 or 3 in the HW division in the past few years. Randy beat Tim after being KO'd for the second time by Chuck so I dont think you have to be at the top of your game if ur fedor to beat tim anyways. But yeah tim has a god chance at shocking us with his great hands and as i remeber someone calling him agile. LOL Oh yeah his ground game is great to. I dont see where fedor can win. LOL NOT. Fedor is way better on the feet and you will all find that out. You guys would know that if u had watched some fedors fights. Matter of fact he is better everywhere. If you can beat a 460lb man then ur a fukking beast. And I personally dont think that many of the top HW's out there could beat Hong Man Choi. Probally wouldnt even fight him. And hong is no fukking joke as people think he is. That guy could fucking squash you lol.

35. dane drebin says:

i think fedor is going to beat sylvia but ur agrument is dumb and to count out either fighter is ignorant. mark hunt had no ground game and thats fedors specialty. mark cole man is and was when he faught fedor old as fuck and like all of the other champions of his day is one dimensional. he's a beast and i think he can still compete but he is taylor made for fedor to submit him. matt lindland is a middle weight and had no business fighting fedor hence him getting subbed in round 1. and i hope ur not saying HMC weights 460 because he weighs 350. tim is boring and i think fedor is better but tim is always dangerous and has a great record. he nearly beat nog and was a multiple time champion. he isnt a fish out of water on his back he caught monson a submission specialist who jsut too barnette to a decision in a triangle and looked good against monson on the ground. for the record i think fedor will win but i think tim will be a lot harder of a fight than the talentless HMC and lindland.

36. The only fight The Great Fedor ever lost should have been ruled a "no contest" because it was an illegal blow and he was "unable to continue" (according to the ref, of course). That being said, Fedor is the best that ever was (and best that ever will be) and he will win! Winners win, losers lose. It's that simple. He will find a way to win. He's won more fights than Sylvia and lost less. Winners always find a way to win, that's what males them winners. GEAUX FEDOR!

37. *makes*…sorry.

38. christopher barber says:

listen, i am a follower of fedor and I am a friend of Randy Couture, I mean seriously, I have met him (randy) a few times and he is a mans man, he is humble and a consumate professional, not to mention a great champion. but if you think that he can beat Fedor Emelianko, you are smoking rocks dipped in more crack, you have got to be shitting me,

39. fedor will win…Silvia sucks my left testicle