EliteXC Strips Noons of Lightweight Title (Updated)

KJ Noons of San Diego has been stripped of his EliteXC lightweight title. The announcement was made Friday by EliteXC Head of Fight Operations, Jeremy Lappen.

The foremost reason EliteXC is taking this action, Lappen said, was due to Noons’ reluctance to defend against leading 160-pound contender Nick Diaz of Stockton, Calif.

“We are stripping KJ of his championship belt for refusing to defend against Diaz,’’ Lappen said. “It’s a very unfortunate situation but we cannot have belt-holders who refuse to fight the top contenders.We want champions who will fight anyone, anytime, anyplace.That’s the mentality all champions should have.

“I feel very bad for KJ because I like him a lot on a personal level and have always thought he could be a big star.He’s charismatic, has a very exciting fighting style and is a top level fighter. So I’m obviously disappointed that he has chosen to take this stance.

“I don’t understand why he would turn down a chance to be a headliner on CBS on Oct. 4. KJ then turned down the fight again when we offered him a headlining spot on our next SHOWTIME date against Nick. From my view, it is a fight against a top-named opponent in Diaz (someone who beat the No. 1 fighter in the world in his weight class), a fighter KJ has bad blood with and a fight the fans really wanted to see. It seemed like a great opportunity for KJ to me.

“Personally, I do not think it was a smart career move, but I’m sure he sees it differently. KJ has two more fights remaining on his contract, so we are still looking forward to having him fight for us again soon, but not as our world champion.’’

EliteXC will announce a fight for the vacant lightweight title in the near future, Lappen said.

UPDATE:

earlier in the week that the company had been considering an option that would involve Nick Diaz and Eddie Alvarez competing for the newly vacant title in a featured bout during a tentative Nov. 8 card.

[via fiveouncesofpain]

Comments

1. I think this is kind of shitty. Although I don't agree with a champion not defending his belt, Diaz was already beaten. He should have to climb back up to get his title shot. This should also piss off the fighters underneath him that should get a shot before him. It seems like they just want to make Diaz their poster child for their championship. They may say they like Noons, but they just want Diaz to have the title, and it looks like they will do anything to give it to him. You know he will be in that fight to get it. Shouldn't Noons be fighting him for it?

2. And I'm sorry, calling Diaz the no. 1 fighter in his weight class in the world is a fucking joke. A not funny fucking joke.

3. Yeah Ryan you're absolutely right.

Also, not that the belt had much legitimacy to begin with, but this takes away what little it had.

Also, I think they didn't expect KJ to win that belt in the first place. I think they thought Diaz would beat him easily first time around but the cuts were something no one expected.

EliteXC really is turning in to some kind of pro wrestling of mma.

Alos, I can't understand why the company would push him so much and want a loud mouthed and foul mouthed Little Jerk off like that to represent the sport of MMA as a champion.

4. I'm glad. Noons is a punk for not defending his belt. he acts like he was not a stepping stone for ND to capture the Elite LW belt. The fight was stopped due to cut.

ND might not be the best fighter on the planet but he has the habit of knocking off some of the best fighters in the world. ND vs Alverez is a great fight. better then noons and ND.

5. no a champ should want to fight the best guys out there thats why they are the champs..KJ isnt REAL CHAMP…he fights just for the money thats why he is trying to get his boxing name out there because they make millions and MMA fighter just get thousands.. Nick Diaz is a real fighter and will not back down and he should be the real champ

6. Business Owner says:

To Ryan: I read it twice and I can't find anywhere that EliteXC referred to Diaz as the #1 in the world. It looks like they are talking about Gomi. There have been numerous fights with almost immediate rematches because of questionable stoppages or decisions. I believe most champs would prefer a rematch to prove they can beat their opponent without relying on a judge or a doctor's controversial decision.

7. he didnt call Diaz number one fighter in the world. he said he (diaz) has beaten the number one fighter.

How many times did chuck fight tito? how many times did randy and chuck fight? or wandy and rampage and they are fighting again. I think its good he was stripped of the title! No one wants a champion that refuses to fight! what the fuck is that shit? would you all feel the same if it were the other way around and they stripped Diaz? i bet not. I know diaz is an ass but try forgetting about who is involved in this situation and focus more on why this sitution happened. A champ that refuses to fight.

8. Yeah, I just reread it and I mis-read it the first time. I don't know, Chuck and Tito's fights were spaced out more. I'm not sure about the first two Wandy and Rampage fights, but the third is coming a while after the other two, and that's not even the same organizaiton. I'm just saying, I think the next contender should have gotten the title shot next. I agree with all of you though. Noons should have just sucked it up and tried to win again. It was stupid on his part. I think I would feel the same way if the shoe was on the other foot. I may be happy with it if it was stripped from Diaz, but I still wouldn't think it was right. Noons probably doesn't want a rematch because he doesn't think he can win again. I would assume Diaz would be smart enough to try harder to bring the fight to the ground.

9. Noons gets what he deserves.

Act like a bitch and get treated like one.

10. I think Noons is a good guy and fighter. His manager told him that he shouldn't have to fight Nick Diaz. Which in a perfect world is true. But theres nobody else. They you get Jared Shaw involved and it's over.

Too bad Noons got stripped but he should have taken the manager out of the situation, gotten involved, suck up your pride and take the fight.

11. Ryan S you've got a point. I think Elite XC likes you about as much as your cable ratings. Diaz is much better for ratings because of his antics so it makes sense they want him to have the belt.

12. Oswald Gobblecock says:

Does EliteXC really want a trashy person like Nick Diaz as their champ? Throughin up gang signs an shit. lol What a joke!

13. Both of the Diaz brothers are asses. And aren’t the top fighters in weight organization

14. I ment weight class in there organization

15. I think they see him as like a Kimbo character….the straight up gansta image dogg!!

16. whodini is right. they like guys like kimbo and diaz. their image is what is selling fights. so i think they would love to get nick diaz to win the title. i'm still looking foward to the fight….diaz and alvarez, that's going to be good.

17. am i mistaken or didn't elite move this belt to a 160 weight class so diaz could make weight? would it even be legit anywhere else besides elite?

18. Noons got booted because he fought the org. Plain and simple. Diaz sells fights because he's a train wreck waiting to happen. The funny thing is that everyone hated Diaz until he won Gomi. All of a sudden he's the shit. Fuck that. TR Elite does anything to sell fights. Get any neighborhood tough guy to beat up out of shape bums…film it…and elite will sell it.

19. Ok I dont see Kimbo calling out anybody so dont compare him to Diaz please. Noons beat the shit out of Diaz plain and simple controversial my ass. He fucking dropped him twice and cut both his eyes . One eye was cut above and below. Dont any dare say Noons refused to fight. He wanted to fight the #1 contender which isnt Diaz but Eddie Alvarez. Eddie is wat tougher then Diaz and I cant wait till Eddie wipes the fucking floor with Diaz's slow ass. Diaz hasnt looked good against anybody decent since he has been in EliteXc. Come on the only reason he beat Gomi is b/c gomi basically didnt train at all for the fight and was gassed after the first minute and a half. And against Lawler he just caught Lawler b/c Lawler was WAY too cocky. Sure nick has looked good in some past fights but that was a long while ago and Eddie should have got the title shot anyways. If I was him I would make them give me a title shot. He killed it in the dream torney and what do the repay him with? The winner of Diaz and Noons? NO he should have got the automatic title shot and diaz shouldve had to fight again and look good doing it to earn a title shot. Like u guys said its all about ratings. I bet Diaz would have made more money then Noons even if it was the same result as the last time. And of course he wants money. Diaz wants money too thats why heacts like tito to get people to buy and watch his fights.

20. F i think Steve hit it on the nail with that. I can't write that much so read his statement that that's what I think.

21. diaz is a piece of junk, but blaming gomi for not training hard is not nicks fault. gomi got caught straight up. diaz has a really irritating style of fighting and so does his brother. there jiu jitsu is really good and the both of them are pretty good fighters. if they werent they wouldnt be still competing for top spots- well maybe not nate just yet, but obviously dana white sees something good in nick. those brothers are tactful good fighters and they are also douchebags. diaz v.s alvarez. lets see it. noons beat diaz, didnt want to defend his title and should of. might have screwed w/ his career, oh well he said he wanted to be a boxer anyway. you cant make excuses for fighters losing. either you win or lose. anybody can get caught or beat, unless youre anderson silva

22. Just to say Anderson Silva got caught by a flying heel hook and Triangle choke in pride with a record IN PRIDE of 2-2. Now tell me Pride wasnt the tougher organization. Sure u could argue that the Anderson then isnt close to the Anderson now but that still dont change the fact that he lost as much as he won in Pride. Also I wasnt blaming Diaz or saying it wasnt gomis fault I was saying that he couldnt beat a well trained in shape GOMI.

23. I don't think you can classify Kimbo and the Diaz's together. Kimbo isn't going around calling people out, saying he's gonna kick people's asses and swearing and being out of control at press conferences. All Kimbo's hype is created by everyone else.

24. Oswald Gobblecock says:

Steve, Silva was kicking the shit out of that guy until that point. Doesn't mean Pride was the tougher organization. lol

25. Jordan Katz says:

Steve, I think you are misreading the situation. Nick Diaz was absolutely deserving of a title shot against KJ Noons.

First and foremost, Diaz vs. Noons was the most marketable fight in that division. So of course Elite XC is going to push for it. Regardless of his antics, Diaz is a draw for that organization and one of their most recognizable fighters.

Secondly, Diaz was considered one of the top contenders in Elite XC to begin with. After he lost to Noons (and to a degree, in controversial fashion), he bounced back with three straight victories, two of which were in Elite XC. If that's not grounds for a rematch I don't know what would be.

Third of all, unless you are one of the most marketable and/or most well respected fighters in the world, you rarely get to pick and choose your fights. In most cases, you are expected to take the fights given to you, especially when its in your best interest. Elite XC had built an entire event around Noons in Hawaii, marketed him hard throughout the promotion (marketing it as "The Return of the Ring") and then began to build up the rematch. Whoever gave Noons the idea he could pick and choose his fights at this juncture of his career and more importantly, when the current status of Elite XC is in limbo, was sorely mistaken. Bottom line, as champion you fight all-comers and don't turn down big fights.

26. Jordan Katz says:

"King." Whoops.

27. Jordan I think u r misunderstanding the situation and that first fight was not close to being called controversial. He got his ass beat down. Plain and simple. He did nothing to Noons and the 3 straight wins well he beat Aina barely and Mushin Corrbrey come on it took him almost all 3 rounds. Thomas Denny is a joke. He earned and proved nothing beating scrubs. Atleast in my opinion. KJ wants to build his name by fighting the best fighters and he and I dont think beating Diaz again will do much for his career. All elite cares about is the ratings thats why they had Diaz go in the ring right after he beat Yves. I think that Eddie should get the title shot and that would be a much bigger fight then Nick vs Noons. Eddie is a beast. Diaz doesnt deserve a title shot and thats all I got to say. Now tell me exactly how Diaz earned the title shot again by beating 3 scrubs?? And how he jumps past eddie A. for a title shot and if u bring up ratings then thats not deserving:)

28. Oswald u say he was kicking the crap out of that guy? He lost twice and if I remeber correctly I was pointing out that A. Silva has been caught and a loss is a loss no matter what was happening during the fight. Also Pease dont make this the topic in this thread sorry for going off topic and yeah IMO Pride was the much tougher Org. but I think its funny Oswald laughed when I pointed out a pretty big fact where Silva went 2-2 in pride. Sorry for pointing that out I guess what a idiot I am. LOL

29. please* an*

30. dane drebin says:

noons should stop bein a pussy and jsut fight diaz. a champion fights anyone anytime. who cares if it doesnt do much for him. the people want to see the rematch and the company wants the rematch so just fuckin defend ur title and shut the hell up. i really liked noons but he won by cuts and everyone wants to see how diaz will do in a rematch. if kj isnt scared he should just defend his title and be done with it. he is reminding me of when tito was ducking chuck forever and randy won the interum championship and tito kept saying "nobody took the title from me!"

its easy to stay champ when u wont fight

31. Oswald Gobblecock says:

Steve, yes… Silva was kicking the shit out of the guy who caught him with that flying heel hook. He lost twice by submission which he has improved since his Pride days. He submitted Dan Henderson. Yes a win is a win but don't tell me that how you win and what was done in a fight doesn't matter! Wanderlei Silva won over more fans in his loss to Chuck then Tim Sylvia ever did in his wins.

I didn't laugh at you pointing out a pointless fact, I laughed about you saying Pride was better because of that fact. Glad you caught that so maybe you are an idiot. LOL Silva doesn't get beat now cause he's a better fighter now, not because he's in the UFC and not in Pride anymore! That's your logic.

32. Why point out fan count? Me saying what happens in the fight doesnt matter if u lose u lose has nothing to do with ur fanbase lmao. So how about that for a pointless fact. Now dont get ersonal and call anyone an idiot Oswald. I know ur an idiot and u feel stupid with ur comments so u feel the need to call me an idiot. Its ok:) Now arguing about which organization was tougher is always gonna be up for debate but I clearly said sure u could argue that the anderson then isnt close to the Anderson now but hey i guess reading the WHOLE GREAT BIG thread is way too much for u to handle gobblecocks. Dont get sore b/c Anderson got handled in pride and is raping people in the UFC. Anderson still hasnt beaten a top 10 205 lber besides Hendo. And Hendo is up in down in weights. When he beats a rampage or a Shogun then I will give him the rank of 2nd best fighter p4p. But Fedor is still and will probally always be te greatest MMA fighter ever. Thats my Logic.

33. If Noons thinks that Diaz is such a worthless fighter than why not just beat his ass and collect an easy paycheck?" Treat it as a warm up for the next fight that would of had to been against Alvarez.

34. it makes no sense for noons to not fight him, its on cbs he will get exposure, he is really doing himself no good and making himself look horrible.plus i think alvarez will beat both of noons and diaz and i can't wait to see that fight.

35. Oswald Gobblecock says:

Cause it is 1 example of a loss not just being a loss and a win not just being a win. It makes a difference that Silva was kicking the shit out of some1 before he lost instead of getting worked the whole time. The outcome may still be the same but it shows that Silva got caught vs him being out worked. How was that a pointless fact moron? Thought so. Are you in 3rd grade, I called you an idiot cause you called yourself one being sarcastic but I was pointing out that maybe you weren't being sarcastic. You tryin to say that you know I'm an idiot when you really don't but you're calling me one just cause I called you it shows your immaturity level and that your nuts haven't dropped yet! I've heard 3rd graders make better insults and argue better then you amongst each other. You try to argue that Silva isn't the best p4p fighter cause he hasn't beat a top 10 205 fighter? Problem is that he's a 185 pound fighter and has beaten every1 there dip shit. You think he couldn't beat Rampage or Shogun, hell… he could beat them and Forrest. You still can't comprehend that Silva is a better fighter now then he was in Pride, it's not like the Pride guys were better dumbass. Look at Ryo Chonan, he lost to Karo Parisyan, Dan Henderson and Phil fucking Baroni! There's that brilliant logic again. Are you trying to say that he didn't get lucky against Silva? lol You must push on doors that say "pull" don't you?

36. I've got to agree with Gobblecock on this one. Steve is just talking shit he says Diaz hasn't fought anybody so he doesn't deserve a title shot , yet he calls Fedor the best ever. Which top fighters does he fight? Besides Noguiera who is there? Fujita? Hong Man Choi? Oh thats right he beat Matt Lindland……. Oops wrong weight class. So he's beaten a fat kickboxer in Mark Hunt and a out of shape old ass former Pride champion in Marc Coleman.

Best thing he ever did was to show everyone that Mirko was overrated and had no heart which was later proven to be true in the UFC as well.

37. Wow lol u think Anderson is a god. Let me guess anyone who is losing a fight who pulls off a submission that they went for is lucky? Thats your logic. It wasnt luck. Would he do it again now if they fought obviously not likely. Yeah anerson is a better fighter now faggot I already said u could say that. And dipshit he weighs just as much as the LHWs walking around. So cutting down to 205 is and again will be easy. Yes he has beat all the middleweight fighters that are good lol.That division is so stacked patrick cote is geting a title shot lmao. Just like Rich Franklin OVERRATED for cleaning up a horrible weight class. I mean Rich won the title from Evan Tanner. And he defended against nate quarry ansd david louisea. Wow those are tough guys NOT. Nobody is considered great at middleweight. Thats why they Silva him upto 205 to fight. If he is the best and can beat anyone then why is he fighting Cote? Obviously the UFC is milking him before he loses fighting the big dawgs at 205. Also Jake since u are obviously a complete fucking idiot. Fedor beat Sylvia in like 30 seconds. Theres another one. How many top 5 fighters should I name lol. would like to see anyone in the ufc fight Hong Man Choi. The guy is fucking humongous. I dont see how people think its so easy to beat him. And Jake if u have watched some of fedors fights and not just heard about him then u would know just how much better he is than anyone else in the sports history. He will beat anyone in the world. Oswald am I in third grade? LMAO and u make fun of my comebacks? WOW good one yeah im a third grader. Got me. Maybe if im naughty ur mom will suck me off in class today. I heard she gives it away like free samples at Sam's Choice. And until I see him beat A TOP 205 lber then he shouldnt be and cant be #1. So the best fighter he has ever beaten was Hendo. Hendo was coming off a loss to Rampage. I dont think Anderson can hang with some of the big boys in the 205 division and if anderson quits before we find out it will be a real shame because the ignorant fucks like gobblecocks will keep saying that A. Silva was the best ever. And yes Pride fighting was better. And yes Silva is better now. LOL he was good back then but he lost still and he can lose again so dont let that dumbass thing above ur shoulders think otherwise.

38. bad day steve?

39. Here's your quote word for word.

"Jake since u are obviously a complete fucking idiot. Fedor beat Sylvia in like 30 seconds. Theres another one. How many top 5 fighters should I name lol."

A. Did you just call Sylvia a top 5 fighter? …. ha fucking ha .That's funny stuff right there. No wonder we have a difference in opinion.

B. If not , then you should name one top 5 fighter. Cro cop was 2005(and is/was overrated as I pointed out) and Noguiera was 2004. And 2008 is going to end without him fighting again.

I think I've mentioned everyone except Ogawa and Randleman. So I'll wait for you to come up with somebody that's been a recent top 5 fighter ……

40. I have to admit, the manner in which Fedor beat Sylvia was pretty impressive. Has anyone else taken down a man with that much reach difference so soon? I'm not even sure. About the Pride vs. UFC thing though, I think I agree with Steve. When Silva cam over, he took the title. When Rampage came over, he took the title. When Nog came over….somehow he went from champ to interim champ…still not sure how that happened. Hendo had like 8 belts when he came over.

41. I just think a lot of the tougher and better fighters were fighting in Pride.

42. dane drebin says:

i dont know if anyones ever said this before but…. PRIDES DEAD who the fuck cares! lol

judge the fighters not the banner they fight under.

anderson and fedor are both freaks of nature and fedor has a loss on his record aswell people. nobodys invincible. i do think tho that if anderson retires soon fedor will go down as a far better champion and his legacy will be way bigger.