Ed Soares: You’re On a Guy 23 minutes and You Couldn’t Finish Him? Why Should He Get a Rematch

Anderson Silva’s manager Ed Soares,

“[Anderson] showed what a champion is made of. He fought through all of that adversity and through all of the things that were going on in there and he stayed focus and never gave up and that’s the heart of a champion … Once he tapped, Chael kept fighting. He didn’t let go because he wasn’t sure of what was going on. He wasn’t going to give that position or submission up until he was sure. Once again, Chael tried to deny that he tapped until he told the ref, ‘I believe you,’ it’s like, come on dude, that’s the same shit you did with Filho and Babalu. If you’re going to tap, then tap … I mean, I don’t necessarily think an immediate rematch is legitimate. It’s not like he won by decision. You got submitted, man. Anderson got a few bumps and bruises, but let’s be realistic, you’re on a guy 23 minutes and you couldn’t finish him? Why should he get a rematch?” [FightHype]

Ed Soares is definitely not happy with some media and fans who are calling for a instant rematch between the spider and Chael Sonnen.

Comments

1. fakearms says:

Sometimes I really hate that Ed Soares guy, your a manager, you should keep your mouth shut! You are not Joe Silva, you are not a matchmaker, you dont decide! Plus no one can deny that Anderson Silva got absolutely dominated for 4 and a half rounds, Silva really got lucky in that fight, yes he has heart but he was dominated and basically showed everyone that he can be beaten

2. I hope ed soares gets hit by a fuckn car, no one cares who you are or what you have to say, if a hand full of fighters in the world could speak english you would be a jizz mopper at peep world.

3. Business Owner says:

You let a guy ride you like a prostitute for 23 minutes and you are proud, and call yourself the champ?

4. Still Can't wait to see silva lose. I was in a crowded sports bar watching the fight. I was one of the only ones rooting for Sonnen? Isn't anyone else tired of Silva? No doubt he's a great fighter, but I fell he is entirely too cocky!!! I would like to see him humbled. I'm so proud of Sonnen for the way he believed in himself. I thought that he must be scarred stepping into the cage with Silva. I was scared for him! When someone wins so much (like fedor) there is a mystique that surrounds them.

5. At the end of the day Chael tapped, simple as! doesnt matter what happened before. Rematch?? maybe after Vitor, there is no one else in the division.

6. Kung Fu Panda says:

Ed does get on my nerves a bit but I agree with him on the tapping issue. Sonnen showed very poor sportmanship for not stopping. I can understand that there must have been all kinds of emotions and adrenaline running through Sonnen but come on…that was not right. I was rooting for Silva to tear his head off and then Sonnen backs up his talk for 23 minutes and earned my respect. That crap at the end though ruined some of the respect that he earned from me during the fight, specially because it is not the first time.

7. I don't understand why a guy's manager is allowed to function as the translator. There's definitely a conflict of interest there and Soares has already been accused of translating incorrectly in order to make Silva seem like less of a dick. UFC, half of your fighters are from Brazil: hire your own Portuguese translator already!

8. PoppyNick says:

Silva did get dominated for 4 rounds but he never gave up. He showed the heart of a champion and pulled out a victory. How is he lucky, he took everything Sonnen had and pulled off a sub. He is a black belt in Jitz, catching someone in a sub isn't lucky. I don't think he is proud of being on his back but I would say he is proud he won. Put yourself in a position where you are getting your ass handed to you for that long and you find a way to win. You would be proud too.

9. I want to see the rematch.

10. I want the rematch because I can't think of anybody who even has a chance of performing as well as Sonnen did…

11. ironcjb82 says:

A manager can talk on your behalf..what the fuck is the beef with soars ?? I would do the same if I was anderson, fuck the media, take care of it Manager :) and @ fakearms, there is no such thing as luck when you submit a guy with a triangle you moron. An eyes closed haymaker can be lucky, but how could a submision be lucky ?? My observation from the fight is that Silva was hurt from the start, you could tell. Sonnen hits about as hard as my grandma and anderson probably wont ever lose in the UFC, unless he pulls a chucky boy and has 5 fights past his prime with top contenders, he might lose then.

12. ironcjb82 says:

Sonnen's entire career he just cant finish guys

13. GSP cant finish guys either. This is MMA guys anything can happen at anytime. What siva did is not luck. And you guys damn well know that Silva was not near 100% of the fighter he usually is. If silva showed up in top form and 100% healthy in the rematch than Silva will give chael a better fight. Even chael admitted during the press conf. that silva was not feeling well and expected to have more ressistance form him. So say what you guys wanna say.

14. GSP is a whore says:

That is exactly what Managers do. That is what they are for.

Sonnen will get a rematch eventually, but beggars can't be choosers. I think Vitor is next for the Champ.

15. Pippy longstocking says:

Sonnen = Hits like a bitch! Belfort next Middle weight Champ! Gare on Tee Vitor won't hit like a bitch!

16. mickeymarin says:

Soares runs his mouth like a little dick kid whose best friends with a bad ass. In his case it's a bunch of bad asses.

17. Ariel Helwani tweeted this right after the fight: "Ed Soares had to be pushed back. As Buffer announced the winner he was screaming at Sonnen's corner. Very, very animated."

Soares is a Douche.

Kung Fu Panda watch it again. looks to me like Silva was an asshole first. he wouldn't let go of the sub even while Josh was prying his arm.

18. CobraClutch says:

So what's next for Sonnen after giving up? Perhaps a bout with another fighter that has bitched out vs. The Spider…

19. Speaka Da English says:

I would love to see these two go at it again. I think that the next fight will not go as long and that one of these guys will finish it before the third.

As for the comments about Ed Soares, I agree with those of you who think he is screwing up the translation. I am fluent in Portuguese and can't believe that no one in the organization has called Soares out about the screwed up translations that he does. Not only does he mess up the answers, but he sledom gets the questions right as well. Silva had some really good things to say about Sonnen's ability that Sore Ass didn't bother to translate. Then after the fact Eddie boy gets all brave with his comments when Sonnen isn't around. I think that Sore Ass should manage and shut the hell up. Get a third part to translate for the Brazilian fighters and keep the mike away from that Sore Ass guy.

20. P4P #1 Fan says:

CC – I would not say that he gave up. In fact, he pretty much dominated all 23 minutes prior to the submission. Silva showed that he is a champ because not only can he knock you out but he can submit you. Look at all this list of top contendors – Koz, Fitch, Evans, Carwin, Hardy, Maia…the one thing that they have in common is that they are all one dimentional. Either they are all stand-up, all wrestling, or all BJJ but either way, the reason that they are not the champ in their division is because they are not well rounded. Can you imagine how good Maia would be if he had a better than average stand-up game? Carwin would be the champ if he would have slapped a sub on Lesnar when he had him hurt. This is MMA and chances are that the more rounded fighter is going to win, or at least have a better shot at winning. Silva was going to break his arm and he had to tap- anyone would tap if they were going to have their arm snapped. How many people do you think predicted – Silva by sub? I guarantee that not many.

21. CobraClutch says:

P4P – Tapping is giving up

22. Please fly to Oregon and tell Chael he gave up….

23. P4P #1 Fan says:

CC- Saying that tapping means giving up is totally idiotic. That implies that you know nothing about MMA. Giving up is not caring and has a negative meaning. Tapping means that you admit that your opponent caught you- there is no dishonor in tapping. This isn't Bloodsport where you are diping your hands in glass and fire and fighting until the end. This is a sport where everyone for one reason or another can get caught on any given night, even after dominating for 23 minutes and having only about 100 seconds to go before being the world champ. it happens and it can happen by sub or by striking. Did you see the Stephan Struve fight- he was getting his ass handed to him and came back and won. Look at the Mike Russow and Duffe fight…same thing. Anything can happen and that is why it is not over until it is over.

24. Flying Armbar says:

A manger can speak for his fighter because they are supposed to be on the same page…the problem is that UFC should explain to ALL translators that that is exactly what they need to do, translate and not give their opinion. If Ed is running his mouth outside the ring, then he has a right to do that but if he is changing questions or answers to put his spin on it, then he is not doing what he is intended to do. Joe Rogan does not go up to Jackson, Bob Cook, or Delagrotte to get their take on things immediately after the fight because at that time, the questions are for the fighters. I speak fluent Spanish and some portuguese and I know that he is not the only one to do this. My fiance speaks Polish and Russian and she told me that translators for polish or russian fighters have also changed questions and answers, so it is not just Ed…point being is that the UFC, Strikforce and everyone else must make it clear to every translator that their job is to translate and not to interprete or add their two cents.

25. Bruce Leroy says:

Back in the late 90's when I first started training, the rumor was that the Lion's Den (Ken Shamrock's school)would not allow any student to tap on a choke. You could only tap if it was a joint lock(knee, arm, shoulder, ankle, etc). I guess that is why after a short run that produced a few decent fighters, the Lion's Den ceased to exist, at least at their CA location. Regardless of your motivation to train(whether you want to be an MMA fighter, train for the fun of it, want to lose weight, want to know how to protect yourself, etc,), if you can't tap, the odds of injury increase dramatically. MMA, grappling and BJJ are rough enough and injuries can happen even in the safest environments…adding a "no tapping" rule is just dumb. And the reason for that rule was the same as CC's explanation- "you don't give up". They thought that if you get caught, you either need to fight your way out or be put to sleep. That is just plain STUPID! Even for a professional, seconds away from being a champ. the severity of that type of injury is not worth sucking it up, taking the loss and coming back to train the next day.

26. P4P #1 fan your the idiot. how is tapping not giving up. i notice you like to tell people they dont know about mma alot. its clear to me you dont know half as much as you think you do

27. I think tapping is a means of preventing yourself from getting hurt when you know you're stuck. saying you gave up when you taped is putting a bad twist on the situation, it's more like you're electing to end a fight that's already over before you get REALLY hurt.

So literally, yes tapping is giving up, but as we all know it's a tool for when there's no way out except for ref stoppage from broken bones.

On the topic of ed soares. he's a douche bag and with his history he shouldn't be allowed to translate. We want to hea the fighter's voice and opinion not this media whore.

28. im not gonna call anyone an idiot, but have to agree with miko and cc. no matter how you look at it, tapping out is giving up. its basically saying i quit, but not in words. i dont see how anyone sees it otherwise

29. I wouldn't call tapping giving up. If tapping is giving up, then I say getting KO'd is taking a nap during a fight. What would be better, tapping and starting to train a week later, or having your arm hyperextended and having to have the connective and possibly muscle tissue in your arm surgically repaired? Not tapping in Sonnen's situation would result in not being able to train for several weeks.

30. And when did it all of a sudden become a bitch move, like some of you are implying, to get caught and tap after 23 minutes of domination?

31. After the fight is completed and one fighter has a W and the other an L, does it matter what transpired during the bout?

Some of you guys are taking this pretty hard, it's just part of the sport. Yes, Tapping out is giving up, in this case Sonnen chose not to get a broken arm, so he called No Victory. Some fighters will (and have) taken the brake and still gone on to win, most don't because this is their profession and they cannot afford to to lose a limb for any period of time.

Many in MMA consider forcing someone to give up as the ultimate victory, even more dominating than a KO.

32. P4P #1 Fan says:

"Thedude"- I have not posted a whole lot lately so you must be taking a particular interest in my posts – pretty scarry.

OK, I will agree that in essence, tapping could be to give up. in the context that CC used in post 18, where he is pretty much comparing giving up to "bitched out", that is where I took the issue. So is everyone going to agree that taping out is bitching out? If that is the case, then let's just take tapping out and go back to the barbaric ways of the past- so that we cannot call any of the fighters bitches, let's remove the tap.

Mac- I do agree that ending a fight either by KO or sub to be the ultimate victory because you ended the fight but I don't equate you stopping it due to a sub or strikes (such as Vera VS Jones where jones broke bones in Vera's face) to be "bitching out".

33. Kung Fu Panda says:

P4P – I was about to argue that tapping does basically mean that "I give up" but I went back to read CC's post and now I understand your point. You did not do a good job of expaining why you took exception but I get it. You werer trying to say that tapping out does not mean to take the bitch way out, as CC put it. Tapping out is a way to end fight when you are in danger but there should not "bitch" conotation associated with it. While some fighters, as Mac states, do not tap and have a limb broken or damaged, that is not really smart. Even if Sonnen did not tap and had his arm snapped, there is no guarantee that he would have won the fight. The ref could stop the fight, even after the arm is broken, like in the Mir Vs Tim Sylvia match years ago. Tim did not tap in that match but the ref stopped it anyway. And even is the ref does not stop it, Sonnen would have had to fight for about 2 minutes with only one arm and while in excrutiating pain in the other. That was still enough time for Silva to make the most of those 2 minutes and pour it on for a knockout. How shitty would that be to have your arm snapped and still lose the fight?

Tapping = giving up

Tapping does not = bitching out

34. I was so happy to see anderson get beat down, and was sad to see cheal loose in the last 2 mins after a dominating preformance. Hopefully now anderson treats his opponents with more respect. I know the "injury" slowed down silva big time you can see the way he moved, from the 1st min you could tell something was way off i was watching the fight at a friends house and i remember saying man is silva throwing the fight? Regardless Silva pulled it off gotta give him respect for taking that beating and coming away with it. As far as eddie boy there i would LOVE to see a fighter walk up to him and break his fucking jaw. Hell why not k.o that loud mouth bitch sure you'd get kicked out but you can prob get a better contract with strikeforce (last line was a joke dont go crazy). Seriously though this guy has a pair of balls on him i bet without silva standing beside him he wouldnt have the balls to saying 1/10th of what he says to sonnen's face. This guy gets more cocky and outspoken every silva win (funny how its for someone elses accomplishments he gets all stuck up). As far as the not tapping thing goes, its easier said then done to not tap in that situation, that sub was in deep and i'm sure a professional fighter who trains for this knows when something is irreversable or not (he got outa that kamura in round 2 or 3 i think he didnt give up on that). Get seriously hurt and loose or just admit u lost and stay healthy? Thats a fighters choice not ours to decide. A loss is a loss anyway at the end of a day. I'm sure we can all be happy we finnaly saw a REAL exciting anderson silva fight. When was the last time we saw one this exciting? Was it Franklin 1 or 2 or Dan Henderson? I dunno you tell me. Great fight and fuck eddie boy unless he gets in the ring he should keep his mouth shut about other fighters and talk about his own he manages silva not sonnen so keep his name outa ur mouth.

35. Tapping Out = Can equal Bitching Out, just not in this case.

I don't think anyone would say that Sonnen bitched out, even Shamrock and his Lion's Den, but let's face it, over the years there have been lot's of Tap Out's where some out of shape fighter just wants it to end.

Regardless, I was so impressed with Silva's sub. I thought he was beat for sure.

36. …and once again Cobra Clutch creates havoc with his outlandish posts. Good work twinkle toes!

37. kimuraking83 says:

Yes tapping is quiting it is saying I quit it is giving up but I bet most people would when u feel your bone braking slowly. Bottom line sonen quit he fought well but silva got his chance to finish the fight and he did. I did think silva was throwing the fight the first round he looking so slow and stiff I f he did go into the fight with a bad rib injury I give him props. Would like to see a rematch just not right away. Silva should fight belfort and sonnen the winner of shields and kampman

38. OK, I agree with Mac and tico and Kung Fu panda.

39. CobraClutch says:

Sonnen fought well, but after all that smack-talk about how easy Silva would be and how he was an undeserving champion and on and on and on and on

…and then he tapped out.

I think it's fair to say he Bitched-Out.

40. CobraClutch says:

41. CobraClutch says:

42. Flying Armbar says:

So then anyone that talks smack and taps, bitches out. So based on your hypothesis, the following must be true:

Lesnar bitched out to Mir.

Lesnar talked shit before the fight and then tapped, but if you are calling the #1 or at least the #2 HWT fighter, one that will be 1 or 2 for a few years to come, barring injury, then you need to go away again for a few weeks.

43. Flying Armbar says:

44. CobraClutch says:

Well said brother, well said!

Eventually Honor will make a comeback…

45. P4P #1 Fan says:

I hope so…at we agree on that :)