DREAM Declares War On The UFC, Plans Global Expansion

FEG, the promoter of DREAM and K-1 have announced a new strategy of global expansion with help of a new investor, Shanghai-based investment bank PUJI Capital.

“This is a declaration of war against the WWE and UFC. From Asia, we will take the world. Mr. Ishii is completely supporting us. We won’t stand a chance in the American market so we will spread to the rest of the world. When K-1 and PRIDE were competing against each other, 80-percent of the martial arts market was in Japan. It is now the opposite and Japan is only 20-percent. We were worried that Japan would be left behind if we let this continue, it is unacceptable. We needed to change our business model. We’ve let Dana White get a lead on us. Before (Shinya) Aoki beats (Gilbert) Melendez, we must win as promoters.” [MMAFighting]

FEG is expected to receive $230 million from the investment bank to revive Japanese MMA as well as promote outside the country.

Comments

1. Rotten JD says:

Even though i watch and love the UFC and respect all of the fighters involved in the franchise, this "war" so to speak will do mountains more for the sport. With things like this it only pushes the bar up to new and more amazing heights and further expands the platform for which new and fierce talent can showcase they're talent to a broader spectrum. After all isn't that the bottom line in mma, to see who is the best of the best in the world!

P.S.- I would really like to see more women's mma incorporated into the mainstream

2. Kung Fu Panda says:

Rotten…I could not agree more with you. I love MMA..period, regardless of it is the UFC, Dream, Sengoku, WEC, etc and this will only help find more talent in places that really have not been tapped into. Their business plan seems solid, specially with them realizing that they are not just going to come to the US and take over over. The UFC is a monster and I think they would be happy to conquer the world outside of the US and then just increase their market share in the states. I just watched Dream 15 on HD Net last night and it was a solid event. The more MMA the better!

3. This is big news. If they take the K-1 model and bring it to MMA, they will crush the UFC outside of the US. Not that I'm a UFC hater, I think that their model works best in the US, but this is just brilliant. The K-1 model is already a success and will work.

4. CobraClutch says:

This was a strange post, why is Dream starting competition for UFC and WWE. One is a sport the other is a Soap Opera, perhaps the Dream Group are looking to get into MMA and Sitcoms?

Anyway this is excellent for the sport, the more the merrier I say. However as we've seen from past failures, creating a successful venture is much more difficult than finding capital to back it up. My Father started many businesses over the years and even though he had great backing they all failed from a chain of Laundramats to a Children's Prostitution Ring in Fresno, and even a Circle K Convienience Store. It's a lot harder than just saying it. But I hope they succeeed, more MMA Fights and hopefully more MMA fights not on Pay Per View. It's great news!

5. Maybe it has something to do with all over the Pride/pro wrestling comparisons back in the day and FEG sees the two being comparable as a good thing?

It is Japan after all, they LOVE their wrestling over there.

6. wait what??

Children’s Prostitution Ring in Fresno!?!?

7. casual american fans tune into the ufc just because of the name brand alone. To them mma is ufc. It was the first mma promotion to grab americas attention. So the ufc has american by the nads, but i agree, worldwide this is a great move. The more mma the better i say.

8. Ronnie Rush says:

Speaking of fierce new talent. Check out Phil (The Pain) Collins. Fighting out of Fresno CA

9. The poor guys name is really "Phil Collins"?? His parents are jerks :(

10. Ronnie Rush says:

Yep. And he's a black guy. Lmao I went to Jr. High and High school with him.

11. CobraClutch says:

We also tune in TR, because there is nothing else available on a regular basis, there were some attempts at other regular leagues like the IFL, but they all bombed, and UFC just keeps churning out more MMA every season, you gotta love it!

By the way someone last week was posting with my name but with a period after the last letter, thats not me!

I don't know why you punks keep me in your minds all the time but obviously my dick is still in your mouths. I can just envision my dick in your mouth, do you like it?

I'm the real CobraClutch, so if a post looks odd look for a discrepency in my name's spelling and you'll know its the bitch that is obsessed with me!

Back to MMA Training and a hot date with a good looking woman.

12. Every time I read a CobraClutch post I picture a McLovin looking kid talking with no social life.

The funniest was when he challenges posters to meet him for a fight. LOL

13. CobraClutch says:

More smack talking punks. I've been teaching you girlies lessons on this site for awhile now, but some of you just don't learn, and for the record Troll, my challenges are wide open, I make no bones about it, come out to LA and we'll throw down, my MMA is tight, and because I train like 90% of the time I can take down any of you wanna-be's and then it's all ground n' pound just like my boy War Machine! Afterwards we can go to Pink's for a couple of Foot-Long's.

That's what you kids just don't get, all I do is MMA Training, hanging with my guy friends, and taking out really pretty girls. Don't judge me, judge yourself…

14. Sounds good CobraClutch. Where do you work out in LA? I visit LA a few times a year and would love to roll with you.

I am usually stay around Studio City when I am in CA.

15. Lol at dream declaring war on anyone

16. Whoever the cobra impersonator is, LOL he's good.

It takes me a bit to figure out its not really cobra.

fake cobra: Its too bad you only seem to get ufc in your area. Up here in Canada we get the fight network and they air all kinds of stuff. most of it is older like Bushido, pancrase and the best of DEEP but they do play recent DREAM events (and the best part, no commentators! so You dont have to hear that fat head michael schiavello scream with joy whenever Overeem loses or the bitter and arrogant tones of guy mezger. thank you fight network :)

17. Oswald Gobblecock says:

Damn, CC just can't get a break here anymore. As for Dream "crushing" UFC if they do this or do that… I'll go on record and say it will never happen globally. They are a joke compared to the UFC with their lack of stars and too many freak show fights. The Asian crowd loves this but most don't.

18. Never underestimate them Chinese and Japanese… They sneaky rich powerful peeps… They gots robots and Godzilla..

More MMA makes me happy anyway

19. UFC got the Brand man. How many regualr fans have actaully heard of Dream

20. i agree more mma is good but dream does not have the fighters to compete with the ufc

21. oswald you love gobbling cock hey look me up on facebook and add me my name is nathaniel raftery if you can give phil baroni the greatest showman of all time shit than you should fight me first yo fckin pussy

22. P4P #1 Fan says:

Oswald- as much as Dream may be a joke to many people in the states, the UFC is same thing in other countries. Dream does not have the depth of talent that the UFC has but their top guys will hang with the UFC top guys. You have to remember that because of their deal, Strikeforce and Dream combined, have a pretty good pool of guys and the plan that they drew up is looking to continue to add to it. You also have to think about it, who trully is a star in the UFC versus someone that is just popular. For example, Keith Jardine was an extremly popular fighter that fought a lot of big names but his record in the UFC was pretty bad. Many people would consider him a star….so if we are truly talking about stars, the UFC propably has 3 or 4 per division and the Strikeforce/Dream combo has about 2 or 3. Finally, as far as freak fights, are going to tell me that the UFC has not engaged in this? Please see Kimbo and Toney.

23. p4p you also have to remember most of the strike force guys are interested in going over to the ufc ie shields , gregard moussasi,nick diaz, king mo they will all bail when their contracts run out, if offered one in the ufc. and we all saw what happens when the japan stars try to fight over here gilbert destroyed aoki and leben beat up sexyyama on three weeks rest.

24. exactly tomb! three weeks :(

Akiyama broke my heart

25. P4P #1 Fan says:

Tomb- I don't know about that. I would not be surprised if Nick and Melendez come to the UFC to join Nate and Jake but I am not so sure that Moussasi or King Mo would come over. Moussasi is very much like Fedor in that he wants some freedom over where he fights and King Mo has enjoyed fighting oversees as well as he realizes that he needs more expereince before he jumps in with the likes of Rua, Machida, and Evans. Right now, his wrestling and even's wrestling would cancel each other out and evan's standup is years ahead of King Mo's… he needs more seasoning. When you include Hendo who chose Strikeforce over the UFC and Fedor not wanting to come to the UFC, I think that there a good number of guys are happy with Strikeforce. As I mentioned before, in the states, we assume that the UFC is the shit and everyone should want to fight there…neither are the case in other parts of the world.

26. P4P #1 Fan says:

One last thing, as far as Aoki and sexyama losing here, they lost, no excuses. But it is no different that when Chuck went to Pride and lost. I really beleive that differences in rules, the way the refs call fights, and the cage versus ring have a lot to do with being used to those rules/environment and struggling in the other. I would not go as far as to say that GSP would "get his ass kicked" overseas but he would definitely draw a lot of yellow cards and he would have to pick up the pace…so would evans, and many of the UFC wrestlers.

27. actually i read moussasi already said he would like to join the ufc. and henderson only went to strikeforce because he wasn't getting the title shot he wanted from the ufc,he is still very good but not top five anymore and starting to show his age.there are some good fighters in the mfc from canada. but the dream fighters are only good in the lighter weight classes and still not on par with the wec.

28. P4P #1 Fan says:

I would agree that fighters outside of the UFC, in general-not everyone but a lot, need to work on getting stronger and on ground and pound. More than anything, to me, the biggest difference in the Aoki/Melendez fight was the strength difference. Aoki was just getting thrown around. They also tend to rely to much on subs and not enough ground and pound- again difference from the way MMA if fought in the UFC/US versus in other countries. But if you are correct, if Mousasi does come to the UFC, that would be a big blow for Dream/Strikeforce but as a fan, would like to see him test himself against the UFC middleweights. As the King Mo fight proved, I don't think he is big/strong enough for LHW. I really think that he and the upcoming (taking for granted that AS will kill Chael) match with Vitor, should be great challenges for AS.