Dana White Doesn’t Think Alistair Overeem Is Top 10 Worthy

UFC President Dana White,

“[Expletive] great guy. I like Overeem. I have nothing but respect for him. But it’s an absolute [expletive] joke that anybody would rank him in the top 10. And anybody that wants to debate with me, and tell me why Alistair should be ranked, [expletive] fire away. I’m ready. I want to hear it. Can’t wait. If on your rankings you have him in the top 10, you should be [expletive] embarrassed.”

“I actually find it hilarious that he’s ranked in the top 10 by some of the websites. I find it hilarious. What has he done in MMA to be ranked in the top 10? I’d like somebody here to answer that question. We’ve got a lot of media guys here; what has Alistair Overeem done to be ranked in the top 10 of mixed martial arts’ heavyweight division?”

“How do you figure because he’s such a good K-1 fighter (that) he can parlay that into being a mixed-martial-arts fighter? That’s what makes the mixed-martial-arts media [expletive] stupid — that they would even rank this guy in the top 10 because he’s fighting in K-1. That makes absolutely no [expletive] sense, and I would love to hear somebody make sense of this guy being ranked in the top 10.”

“Has he fought anybody worth mentioning? Uh, yeah that would help. Guys that fight the top guys in the top 10, three times a year in mixed martial arts — those are the guys that are ranked in the top 10. How bout the fact that he’s fighting in K-1, where you just kick and punch? There’s no wrestling, there’s no this, and there’s no that. How does any credible [expletive] MMA guy put him in the top 10 in the heavyweight division? It’s hilarious.” [The Junkie]

Dana’s never going to admit their is top 10 fighters outside the UFC anytime soon. I’m sure he would quickly change his tune if Alistair were to sign with the UFC, remember Kimbo.

Comments

1. Ross McKenzie says:

Fuck you Dana White anybody who says Brock Lesnar is #1 or even on the top ten is fucking joking them self and only saying so because they paid that joke millions of dollars that turned out to be flop sound like anybody you know. Dana White the biggest dumb fuck in MMA can't get Fedor or Alstair Overeem but give unproven Brock title shot. Brock is a joke and you know Dana.

2. Iron Monkey says:

I think Dana has a point here. Not that I don't think Overeem is in fact top ten. I think he is, but he hasn't beaten anybody in the top ten to establish that, so my opinion is purely speculative. I think that's all he's pointing out here. Overeem has never fought a top ten heavyweight so what's the justification for a legitimate news source ranking him in the top 10 (or #1 – Bas:)? He should sign with the UFC and prove how good he is against the best heavyweights. Beating up Brett Rogers, although it was impressive to watch, isn't going to prove anything.

3. Overeem has not always been a HW, but since moving up seems very impressive, although is fighting in the minors, so he does not have frequent bouts. He has challenged Fedor a few times now however.

In his lighter days he lost to Chuck and Shogun, but gave very exciting bouts, and does have victories over Belfort and other decent fighters.

Dana and others can say what they like, but Overeem is a true MMA Journeyman that has fought and trained all over the world. Is he top ten, may be, but he should be competing against the best.

4. I agree with the Cage's comments at the end of Dana's quote. If you don't fight in the UFC then you suck. Dana, come one…are you kidding me? If you think that Brock could hang with this guy, you are a fucking kidding. Overeem would hit him once and Brock would turn his back and run out of the cage. I will say that he has not fought anyone good in a while but it is not his fault that nobody will fight him. He wanted both Fedor and Werdum and neither wanted to fight him. I think he will make the jump to the UFC but he has to wait until his Dream/Strikeforce contract is over. Then Dana won't be able to get enough of him…annoying bastard. After the last show, Dana, shut the fuck up and put on better matches instead of that garbage.

5. Nibblewolf says:

Dana never said anything about Kimbo other that he deserved a chance to earn a spot in the UFC!

6. CobraClutch says:

I don't like Overeem much, one, since gaining all that weight he is longer attractive and two, Muay Thai is too aggresive, I prefer the grappling arts of grinding your opponent, nipple to nipple. You guys know what I mean

7. Glad to see your still here CC, this site is not the same without you!

8. well…Cage Today's opinion is clear from their current MMA Rankings, which lists Overeem at #7 and Rogers as #9 in the HW Division

9. CobraClutch - the RE says:

I am so sick of these trolls impersonating me! Everyone knows I like a pelvis in my face so I can sample the sweet aroma of sweaty nuggets!!!!!

10. I had always suspected that about you.

11. Ms. Quivering Honey says:

Don't ever change CobraClutch. Your the best

12. Nice point Tico

Cage Today lists Overeem at number 7 HW in MMA.

Cage, want to voice your opinion here?

13. Flying Armbar says:

Cage's point is obvious…no need to explain- Cage believes that he is a top 10 fighter. I would agree. Dana talks about him like he is an MMA rookie. That is not the case. Just because he wants to stay active while the guys in his orgs duck him, I think that it speaks volumns about his desire to compete. Dana is just trying to play mind games and trying to psych him out into signing with the UFC. Who is he trying to fool? Here he rips on him but he would love for AO to join his HW division.

14. hhahaa lesnar lost!