Could The UFC Octagon Be Shrinking?

UFC-Octagon

Dave Doyle tried to get the scoop about a potential UFC-WEC merger during a recent Question and Answer session with UFC President Dana White, but instead received this,

DD: Would the WEC fighters lose something if you moved them from the smaller WEC cage to the bigger UFC Octagon?

DW: Actually, we’ve been talking about making the Octagon smaller. We’re considering making it smaller. [UFC matchmaker] Joe Silva wants it. I think he wants to turn the thing into a [expletive] bathtub. Have them fight in a little tollbooth.

I guess the big question here is, will having a smaller fighting surface make the fighters engage more, resulting in more entertaining fights?

Comments

1. common sense says:

I think this would give wreslers an even more unfair advantage. It would make them engage more but on the flip side more fights would hit the ground. Most people not myself don't like fights when they hit the ground.

2. King kong. says:

agreed with Common Sense here.

UFC is already stacked in favour of a Wrestlers advantage.

3. I agree common sense. But It would also reduce people moving to much and being elusive. I think they want to do whatever they can to make fights not boring.

4. dane drebin says:

the fights are fine if u dont like it change the channel. move too much? its a fight they should have all the space they need. they shouldnt change anything if its not broke dont fix it. change the scoring system if anything should be changed.

5. if u look at the ufc octagon that thing is pretty damn big. i think they could make it just a lil bit smaller. and i could see where u come from sayin that it would give wrestlers more of an advantage but i also think that with it being smaller guys will have a harder time running away and backing off when they get rocked which could result in more ko's.

6. dane drebin says:

ya its big so people can move freely and be able to kick box and sprawl. being pushed up against the fence makes it way harder to defend the takedown. so what if people can be more elusive thats a fighting style it shouldnt be destroyed by making them fight in a phonebooth. i would rather they make it a football field where nothing hindered the fight except the other man. if someone wants to run then so be it dont have them back and employ them. if someone is out classing the other one hitting them then jumping back and not getting hit they are still winning the fight. thats how mayweather always wins and same with lyoto. this isnt dog fighting… why dont u go ahead and tie one of their arms together for crying out loud.

7. King kong. says:

I'm with Dane on this one…. if they didn't want to "fight" they shouldn't be in the UFC anyways so why make the cage so small it cuts out imho a major style.

Rhetro

being small they need MORE wrestling to counter that, besides its the reach and not the height.

8. It will make for more exciting fights a fighter wont have as much room to back up and will be forced to side step or engage which will lead to more takedowns and while some think that is boring those people probably are or were never wrestlers and can appreciate a takedown and tryin to win a fight. I tell you one thing the HWGHT division will get even wilder if they shrink the cage.

9. I am not in favor of it by the way.

10. Don't get me wrong Dane, I agree with you, I'm just saying that is why I think they are considering it. I like the fights the way they are and I think people should deal with it, but I think the boring fights are the inspiration for the idea. I like

11. I was gonna say I like the cage the way it is.

12. I think their trying to maxamise the number of seats aswell.

13. Joe Stunna says:

i believe it will be better to have a smaller cage as long as this need for more entertainment doesnt taint the sport to where the ring is so small in the future technique is out of the question. as long as the ring isnt too small in the long run it will get rid of runners and does not get rid of the wrestlers advantage in any way if your trained in your style this should only put a grin on your face