Brandon Vera’s Face Broken In Three Places Courtesy Of Jon Jones

The ultra hyped Brandon Vera vs Jon Jones slug fest at last nights UFC on Versus 1, ended prematurely after Jones landed a vicious elbow to Brandon Vera face, causing him to squints in pain. Steve Cofield confirmed that he broke his face in three different places and due to the severeness of the injuries, he can’t board a plane.

Jones gives credit to coach Greg Jackson’s ground and pound fighting system during last nights press conference,

“That elbow is all Greg Jackson. He has a very distinct ground and pound system. If you realize that Georges St. Pierre does the same style elbow, it’s a Team Jackson thing. I found my home. Everything is working”

Comments

1. Jon Jones will be hard to beat. Seems like a good person too. I'm a fan.

2. How badly do you have to get your face broken, to be unable to board a plane…. dang!

3. what a night of beatings huh? i really thought Vera would have put up a better fight than he did…..it was like he didnt care or something .. and Gonzaga looked like he didnt want to get hit after the very first jab that landed …and Irvin got hit in the same place as Silva hit him it looked like ..

4. CobraClutch says:

Vera cared plenty and was working towards an arm bar…then that elbow kinda changed things so much dude couldn't even get on a plane. He curled up so quick I thought immediately that it was his orbital bone. That was a viscous clean elbow…SMACK!!! CRACK!!!

/fight

5. orbital bone?

6. CobraClutch says:

Ryan, it's the part of your cranium (that means head) where your eye sits. the bone material around your eye, which technically creates your eye socket.

7. BJJ Brown Belt says:

I remember the first UFCs, with no rules or time limits. As the rules started to come in, Initally, I was against them. As time went on, I started to realize that there had to be some rules or MMA would not be able continue. I now am starting to think that elbows to the face should be illegal due to 3 reasons: 1. Fights being stopped due to the blood; 2. Serious injuries occuring; 3. Objectivity of an illegal versus legal elbow.

As fighters continue to see the devastation that elbows cause, we will continue to see fights stopped, serious injuries occuring and possibly even careers ended. We have recently seen vicious elbows landed on Miguel Torres and the one on Brandon Vera. Someone could seriously die from an elbow. For the true MMA fan, I get frustrated when a fight ends due to a cut from elbow. Rarely do you see fights end due to a cut from a punch. Some really good fight have ended because of a cut or some fights, possibly Vera Vs. Jones, never materialized into the fight that could have been because of elbows. Finally, the thing that frustrates me the most is illegal elbows that are allowed. Kenny Florian beat Louzon with questionable elbows and even Anderson Silva's elbows on Travis Lutter were questionable. In theory, the definition is clear but at full speed reality, it is hard to define…at least LIVE.

What does everyone think about elbows?

8. Yeah, but there is no such thing as an "orbital" bone. The orbit is made up of many bones. Reguardless, i see where you are coming from on elbows and I would say it is a tough call. Making a rule that eliminates elbows all together would kind of make it feel like less of mma because they don't get to use all their weapons. I don't think I would be for it.

9. BJJ Brown belt, Great point well made – I totally agree!

10. Agree, There have been way to many gashes of late that cause good fights to be stopped. Elbows should be pulled back to standing only IMO.

11. CobraClutch says:

google "orbital bone" … jeeeezzzz…didn't know you wanted to be a doctor. haha. you want to pick a fight with someone online you can find better things to attack than someone using a widely-used term "orbital bone" hahaha. but do what you want, brother, do what you gotta do to feel better about yourself. peace.

12. CobraClutch says:

I understand your points, BJJ, but I really can't agree with banning elbows. To me, someone who started in Muay Thai, it would be against one of the main things that I feel distinguishes MMA from Boxing or Kickboxing. I don't like seeing kickboxing fights that don't allow knees or elbows. But that is obviously just my preference.

13. PoppyNick says:

I'm with you Cobra, it is part of MMA.

14. i'm fine with elbows being allowed. i completely disagreed with kicks/knees to the head of downed opponents from the pride rules. which was interesting because if i remember correctly in pride you weren't allowed to elbow, right?

15. Sorry Cobra, not trying to start anything. For some reason it is one of those things that bugs me. Anyway I agree, it is a part of MMA. I feel like they are trying to make too many rules that will end up changing the sport.

16. CobraClutch says:

No hard feelings, Ryan, I understand. Geez, what is this a kinder gentler Cage Today? Say it ain't so! hahaha. Where's 69 triangle to start some shit? Actually…yes…this is MUCH better. :)