Anderson Silva Wants To Box Roy Jones Jr.

anderson silva vs. roy jones jr

In a recent interview on MMAWeekly, Ed Soares, the manager for UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva has stated that Anderson Silva would like to put together a fight between himself and legendary boxer Roy Jones Jr. Here’s the clip:

“Anderson really would love to fight Roy Jones, Jr. in a boxing match,” says his manager, Ed Soares, confirming recent speculation. “It’s not just talk, we really would like to put that fight together.”

“We respect Jones’ boxing ability and think he’s one of the best,” said Soares, “but we’re tired of different boxers saying that MMA fighters aren’t technical. Anderson would love to fight Roy Jones in a boxing match under boxing rules to prove that MMA fighters are technical, too.”

Comments

1. i think anderson silva wants to make a huge boxing payday here. i don't mind i would like to see this boxing match if it ever could happen.

2. haha I would love to see this! But Roiy Jones has the upper hand

3. i would watch it but i think anderson is getting a little big headed,he is probally the best striker in mma but take away his elbow kicks knees clinch and fight roy at his game i think roy wins even though he is past his prime. and i agree with you kom34 i think he is looking for that big payday.

4. I think Roy wins on stats and punches landed but that won't matter because he might not make it to the decision. I think Anderson thinks Roy won't be able to knock him out but it would be just a matter of time before he hurts Roy with a big punch. And you guys are exactly right, it will be big money to both fighters.

5. i see what your saying kash but i think roy has good defence and has faced guys who hit alot harder than silva and who's to say roy doesn't knock him out first.i don't think this fight will ever happen.

6. JOHNNY VALLEZ says:

I think silva needs a drug test because he smoking somthing. he will be using 12 to 15 oz gloves not 4 oz and roy isnt as fast and powerful as he once was but he has what it takes to beat silva in a 12 round fight

7. Legendary Roy Jones held belts in like 3 different weight classes this sounds just plain crazy.

I think anderson is just bored and looking for someone to put up a real fight. I could see Anderson lasting a few rounds but beating Jones is a different story.

Anderson uses some Boxing moves but trying to beat a former champion is silly. Jones will have to speed, stamina, and maybe not the chin he once had but enough to handle anderson. 12 rounds of straight punching is a little different then MMA/UFC where you can Tie-up/takedown your oppoent almost for the entire fight.

When anderson arms are punched out after the 4-5th round jones will just keep coming.

8. Roy Jones is notorious for not putting opponents away and playing with them. He is going to get playful with Silva and then eat a big punch in the process. I agree that Jones will avoid most punches with great defense but he can't avoid them all. I think this would be fun to watch. I bet the PPV sales would be through the roof too.

9. Nate Fury says:

Eventhough I think Anderson Silva is the best pfp fighter in mma right now, I don't think he would beat Roy Jones Jr. in a boxing match. Take all the other elements away from Silva except boxing and he is in Jones Jr's world. Don't get me wrong, I choose mma over boxing anyday, but I just don't think Silva could beat him in a boxing match. In an mma fight, hands down yes.

10. I agree with that Nate, I think even though Roy is not as fast as he used to be he is still a great boxer. That is what he was trained at his whole career and he has a ton of experience in the art of boxing. For the most part its hard for me to watch a whole boxing match now that goes the distance but the Jones/Trinidad fight a few months ago was good the whole way through.

11. Roy would knock Silva out within a few rounds. Silva strength is not specifically his hand speed but his ability to use his knees in a clinch and if I remember right that and elbows are NOT ALLOWED in boxing. Jones's hand speed would devistate Silva. Silva like everyone is saying "is bored", I wouldn't mind seeing it happen as it seems the only way he gets his ass kicked. The way he calmly handled Henderson was very impressive. The only MMA fight worth fighting for him I feel is St. Pierre, which would be fantastic!

12. Scooby Doo says:

U guys have to do your homework A.Silva with nothing but boxing skills being taught to him, he would and maybe win dission /knockout jones. Jones has only fought one southpaw and that would be Tarver and look what Tarver did to jones in the 1st fight went the distantance roy had all kinds of trouble with Tarver. The 2nd Time he fought Tarver (No Excuses Roy) Jones got Put On His Ass (Knockout) in the begaining of the 2nd Round , I would give A.Silva with the right boxing Trainer more of a chance. Maybe Emanul S., F. Roach,Buddy M., Nacho B.

13. Silva all the way, Boxing sucks!!!

14. boxing doesnt suck its the boxing promoters that suck. they are the ones to make ten belts per weight class. mma is headed in the same direction with all of the different orgs.

15. danedrebin says:

jones by vicious ko

16. Roy is going to win knock out i'm with danedrebin on this roy jones jr by vicious k.o. and for the rest of you roy is back he is in God's favor so he well win. and i like silva but he not going to beat Roy Jones jr. and i would love too see this Roy Jones jr. is back and hes in God's favor.

17. Silva and his manager are on some pretty good acid and/or completely delusional.

Silva, please, Roy Jones Jr. would peppersauce you in a boxing match. Drop ya on ya back, stiffened right up like a sheet of CDX.

Stop the insanity. This is uncouth. Foolishness.

18. Let me preface this by saying I have fought my entire life. I grew up in an area where I had to fight every week in order to get through school. I got into martial arts: escreama, jiu jitsu, muy Thai, krav maga, and American military martial arts, and boxing. I have trained with pro fighters but I'm not one to enter a ring or a cage professionally for a few reasons: 1 I don't want to get hurt and 2 becoming a high paid fighter is a bit like becoming an actor and I prefer to take control over my career as much as possible. Getting hurt would not be a big deal if I was highly paid so 1 and 2 really go together. That being said I think GREAT boxers could destroy great ufc fighters in an mma match. Most people forget that boxers only don't use their elbows and knees because they aren't allowed to but believe me boxers elbow harder than mma fighters. However those fighters you see like dela hoya and Ricky hatton that put their bodies on the line to win would get killed in mma fights. Its only fighters like Jones Jr. And mayweather and Hopkins that could cross platforms. Ps mma is a sport just like boxing. There are rules which make jiu jitsu the dominating martial arts form. Those restrictions mean that you can't gouge an eye out while someone has you wrapped up. It Means you can't pull an ear off. It means you can't intentionally try and break fingers. These things are weaknesses in jiu jitsu. Ask a jiu jitsu master that doesn't fight in a cage; those ones teach you how to kill. Now until there are no rules you'll never see the best fighter in the world — you'll merely see the best at that sport.

19. This all kind of boils down to the classic boxer versus wrestler match. I don't know, Silva does have good hands. Good enough to say he would beat Roy Jones Jr? I couldn't say. I don't watch boxing so I couldn't say Silva will win. Silva is pretty light on his feet though and can move his body around punches. He did that to Franklin, but Franklin doesn't punch as fast as a boxer. I'm not sure, but I bet it would be a great fight to watch.

20. Silva is good…no doubt. He's not as good as Roy. Imagine Roy in a ufc fight with 4 oz gloves, he's broken ribs with 14 oz gloves and knocked people out in 20 seconds. I think with 4 oz gloves he would literally kill someone.

21. danny bonaduce says:

this is bullsh*t. roy jones would woop his azz in boxing but silva would crucify hiz azz in mma. thiz beez a joke.

22. Yeah and Silva would get KO'd in a Kickboxing match but that doesnt matter. Silva wants to BOX Roy Jones Jr. Not MMA him. He challenged him to a boxing match and Dana said hell no knowing that Roy Jones would slaughter him. Roy has already said he doesnt like to kick and doesnt want kicked. He is a boxer. Anderson is the one challenging him. Sure anderson has great hands against guys who are at an amateur lvl with there hands but Roys hands are lightning fast and Anderson would be KO'd. Now yeah Anderson would win in a MMA fight b/c he would take him down. We should stop talking about this since it is probally never gonna happen.

23. I wasnt saying Roy could KO him in a kickboxing match but whoever is one of the top guys in kickboxing at his weight.

24. robert todd says:

i think silva would win

the best thing about watching him fight is when he back hands his opponents