Anderson Silva “My Time is Already Over … I Will Retire”

anderson silva UFN 14

UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva talks about retiring to Sherdog.com. Silva states that he will be retiring after his UFC contract, which has six fights left, is over.

“Everything has its time … believe my time is already over.”

“It is true. I will retire. As soon as this [UFC] contract is over, I will not fight anymore.”

“I can have these six fights and then its over”

“It has nothing to do with money because I’m a humble person who has an ordinary life.”

“Everything I could do for MMA, I have already did. Now it’s time to help the new generation”

“I’m going to be fat, with a big belly by the side of the Octagon, eating popcorn behind the scenes, making my imitations and screaming for the fighters: “Go there! Kick his face! Put him down!”

Comments

1. If you were Dana White for that last fight on the contract, would you set up a fight in which its designed for silva to lose? Therefore leaving both a door open for him to comeback and a reason for him to comeback. or do you set him up with a fight that will send him out on top?

2. That being said in a year to two years (six fights) who becomes the favorite if any to dominate the middleweight class maybe someone we dont even know right now?

3. Hello there folks, i dont normally post but had to say that this is quite a shock to me that he has decided to call it a day. I think many fans will be sad that they wont see his skills in the ring after these 6 fights as the guy is just a genius at what he does. I imagine there will be quite a few fighters in the middle weight division rubbing their hands waiting for him to retire and i wonder if Rich Franklin will eventually go down a weight again when Silva goes. I just hope Silva doesnt regret his decision if he follows through with it, many sports stars try to come back after retiring but few are ever the same. Good luck to him though whatever he decides.

4. PooPooPlatter says:

Not long ago Anderson said he'd like to fight at least once a month, so the UFC gives him a fight at 205 and now he says he doesn't want to fight anymore and he's going to retire?

I don't believe anything these fighters say. They all have an agenda, even Anderson. Nice guy, but he's still human and no different than anyone else.

5. PooPooPlatter says:

I bet he'll still be fighting 5 years from now.

6. Rich Franklin says:

this is the best news i have heard in a long time!

7. Rich Franklin….your wild!

If he does call it quit then so be it. If he decides to come back then come on, he's been a positive role in the MMA world and has raised the bar so make fighters come correct when they step in the octagon. I think out of respect for the type of guy and fighter he is , his last fight should be against someone who will give him a run for the money.

8. hi, I speak spanish, so i get some parts of the interview and its true, he will retire in 2009.

9. six fights is a lot of fights. He will of course have 1 of them with Cote. So he has 5 more. That leaves him with most likely 205 lb contenders or maybe they will put another lamb in front of him and milk the retirement bit that much longer but I would love to see him fight atleast 3 top 10 guys in his last 5 fights. He will most likely get beat in the next 3-4 matches b/c 205 is stacked and it will be tough for anyone to run through everyone. Just so many styles. My prediction he will have lost atleast once by the time his contract is up and it wont be near as big of a deal.

10. if he only has 6 fights left i hope they don't waste anymore on fights like cote and irvin, only top guys

silva vs okami2(just for revenge and he is near the top of 185)

vs hendo 2

vs wandy

vs bisping(if he wins)

vs liddel? maybe not

vs top lhw

11. Interesting…….Silva will fight for the next 2 years and retire maybe 3 depends upon how drawn out his last 6 fights are.

12. he said that the contract is over in june or july next year, so according to him 09 he will retire, let me revise my list

vs hendo 2

vs okami 2

vs wandy

vs gsp

vs bj

13. I think the only weight move he will make is going up, and that is just up to light heavyweight, maybe for the last fight or two. Either way, you gotta respect him for what he has done and how he conducts himself. Yeah, 6 fights, I would imagine, would take longer than June or July to get through. Roy, I agree with your first three, but the last two I think will be top ten light heavyweights.

14. Oswald Gobblecock says:

lol Rich. He needs to fight the best at 205 the finish with a bang. No more boring fights at 185 against non worthy fighters.

15. I'll tell you one thing, there are a lot of middle weights that are gonna be breathing easier come July of next year.

16. how taxed will middleweight be when hes gone? there will prolly be like 8 dudes dropping down to 185 to win the belt . i like machida to be the new 185 champ for awhile or maybe some ww"s going up like fitch or kos

17. to me, it sounds like anderson silva is already conceding defeat to GSP. i think GSP has the best chance out of everyone in beating anderson silva. secondly, i think silva wants to retire to pursue his million dollar plus match with roy jones jr. silva will knock RJJ the fuck out though.

silva needs to fight the following –

chuck liddell

wanderlei silva

GSP

rematch with dan henderson

two more filler fights

18. actually how bout silva vs both shamrock brothers at the same time

19. i'm expecting dana to make him a BIG offer once his contract is still up. Maybe one he can't refuse. who knows? he is a class act though.

20. That would be to easy, he would just have to sit back and watch them fight each other and take out the winner.

21. Silva need to worry about Cote for now not about what hes gonna do after this fight…*He could be in trouble with Cote cause Cotw will stand and strike with him all night plus Cote has allkinds of power in his hands.People are saying Cote has no chance but i think otherwise but we'll see in a few weeks..

22. Oswald Gobblecock says:

Derek, are you kidding me? Conceding defeat to GSP? lol GSP might not even get past BJ and Silva would be a harder fight for him. Silva would kill GSP in the stand up. If any1 could beat him it'd be a fighter from a higher weight class I'm sure.

23. Cote has he same chance James Irvin had. Not much. Really Anderson is a true LHW but he cuts a lot to get to 185 so the weight in going down would be very hard to cut. So he most likely wont fight bj or gsp unless gsp moves uptp a catch weight like 175 or 180. I wouldnt mind seeing him fight rampage or Rashad. Possibly even Forrest. Anderson is an awesome fighter but until he beats up on some of the best the ufc has i cant say he is the best. And the best division is 205. Cant wait til they give him a top contender.

24. Oswald Gobblecock says:

Do you really think Anderson Silva couldn't beat the top 205 guys? I bet he'd kill most of them and at least beat them all. Most people I've talked to also thinks he could be the 205 champ. I mean come on. He tore through Franklin twice which no1 else has been able to do except LM and he didn't do it quickly like Silva did. He also tore up Henderson and beat him on the ground. Rampage couldn't beat him in 5 rounds, couldn't beat Forrest in 5 either so I'm sure Anderson Silva could beat Forrest and even Rampage or Rashad. He has proven himself alot already and 5 fights left after the Cote fight could show this. James Irvin wasn't a nobody. Alot of people didn't know him but he was a huge prospect, probably still is… this lose might have set him back but I could see him beat some of the top 205 fighters in the future. You can't hate on any1 for having 8 and 9 sec KOs in the UFC!

25. Oswald Gobblecock says:

As for Silva vs GSP, they talked about maybe fighting at 180 but like I've said before… GSP might not even get past BJ and Silva would probably be a greater challenge. Silva fighting bigger guys at 205 is a bigger test… going heavier always is. Plus there's just too many dream fights for him in the most stacked division. Anderson Silva vs Wanderlei, Rampage, Chuck, Rashad, Forrest, etc… Hope D White takes advantage of the fights he has left under contract for Silva and put him to the test so there's no questions asked later on. Him defending his title at 185 to guys who don't deserve it isn't worth the time. Hopefully things work out for the fans and these questions get answered.

26. I think Silva should fight GSP and whom ever the LHW Champ is at the time (rashad of forrest) to solidify his P4P ranking.

His last fight should be against the #1 LHW contender at the time ….this could be a passing of the torch or going out on top.

then he goes to affliction and fights fedor…lol

27. six fights could be years for some fighters. but for silva he might get through that by the end of next year. i just hope he fights some good competition in the meantime. GSP and Machida I would love to see him fight.