ProElite released some interesting notes on Tuesdays IFL press conference. It sounds like some interesting changes for 2008 might be coming to the IFL.
IFL Press Conference Key Notes
- fans will see in March of 2008 will be different then what they will see in November of 2007. When asked if that meant that the league will be abandoning its team format, Larkin said they are committed to the team-based concept but hinted that teams will no longer be affiliated with geographical locations.
- team concept will focus more on the identity of each team’s head coach and their camp’s reputation.
- Larkin said the league is still working on finalizing a contract with MyNetworkTV for 2008. He described the process as being a situation of needing to “dot the i’s and cross the t’s.” There is no agreement in place to televise the World Grand Prix finals live on Dec. 29 but the possibility exists.
- preliminary discussions of discontinuing the heavyweight division in favor of adding a featherweight division but said that it was something that isn’t imminent as of yet.
- The IFL is expected to announce tomorrow a deal with a Canadian TV outlet to televise two hours of Saturday’s World Grand Prix event.
- Talked about UFC president Dana White’s criticism in the past of major boxing figures getting involved with mixed martial arts and while he said White is right to be concerned, also pointed out that the UFC hired a trusted name in boxing, former NSAC executive director Marc Ratner, to head up their regulatory efforts.
- IFL teams
- ifl football teams